Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman


Recommended Posts

The way I look at it is we traded Schmidt for Poolman and a 3rd.

 

I like it. I will have to see more but the highlights that I have seen have been good. I might go back and watch the Winn series on NHL.com in the next few days 

  • Thanks 2
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tas said:

the clods on sn650 are the least informed, least insightful buffoons in this market. 

 

if you're using their takes as a barometer, you're doing it wrong. 

Kind of valid though that 4 year term is what came back to bite Vancouver last off season. And with the flat cap the next few years it's going to pose a bigger risk 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mpt said:

Fair enough, I’ll admit I don’t know much about most of these guys but Schenn Hamonic better not be significant pieces to our team, otherwise we aren’t any better especially losing Edler for what was a reasonable contract.  The love for Schenn and Hamonic is bizarre, both didn’t impress me at all, they filled holes, and often had too many holes themselves.  I hope it works out and these new guys are an upgrade

I'm in the minority on Hamonic - I realize, like a lot of players around the league, that last season was not a great indicator of value - so many negative mitigating factors - but I still feel his spot was the ripest to upgrade upon - if possible.   At the same time I have to acknowledge that the market didn't necessarily cooperate - and the markets have been somewhat unpredictable the past few years.  A lot of us expected Tampa, for example, to have to make moves last offseason, and they circumvented most people's expectations.   I also did not expect market prices to reinflate so quickly again this free agency, but it got far more frenzied than I anticipated.  Expected more player movement around the expansion draft as well - that did not play out anywhere near comparably to the last one - virtually none of the guys I wanted moved - and at the same time, a guy like Savard that was attractive as marginal to the CBJ, wound up showcasing himself in a SCC and went to the Habs...Beyond a few RHD targets, there isn't really the market for Hughes partners that I may have hoped.  That was the one thing that would have tempted me to move the 9th overall - but I can't argue with what they did do, particularly considering using that pick for acquire a Hughes partner didn't seem a likelihood either. The one thing I like about the decision they did make - it's only two years on Hamonic - I would have preferred one - but can live with two. It bridges to the possibility of his replacement - remaining imo the team's top priority.   Poolman's term I am more comfortable with, because, again, I see Hamonic as more of a placeholder, particularly if he's higher up in the lineup.  My feeling on Poolman is that people with particularly low expectations - are going to be pleasantly surprised.   Where Edler is concerned - he's a big loss - but OEL is not what he's been made out to be by the majority of what I think are bad takes, suggesting he's been one of the worst contracts in the NHL, or no longer a top4, or incapable of playing in his own end of the ice - I find all of that utterly bizarre and in a class with the general takes on JT Miller before people here replaced all the odd sandbagging with first hand impressions of how good the guy is in our lineup.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It concerns me that poolman was signed  when we have four rfas unsigned. Im sure it will all work out, but 2.5 mill is 2.5 mill. Two of those rfas are considered vital to team success and the other was brought in to be a 3c upgrade via trade. 

 

Im sure benning knows what hes doing, but hes really playing with fire. Last i checked there was just over 16 mill to sign petey quinn dickinson and oj, not including ferlands ltir. Obviously it should be plenty of cash so whats the holdup? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

It concerns me that poolman was signed  when we have four rfas unsigned. Im sure it will all work out, but 2.5 mill is 2.5 mill. Two of those rfas are considered vital to team success and the other was brought in to be a 3c upgrade via trade. 

 

Im sure benning knows what hes doing, but hes really playing with fire. Last i checked there was just over 16 mill to sign petey quinn dickinson and oj, not including ferlands ltir. Obviously it should be plenty of cash so whats the holdup? 

The hold up would be because they are better players so it’s likely contract structure, would you rather JB wait until he has locked them in, before making the moves they have, or make the moves say that look we are building a contending team around you therefore you do your bit by signing a realistic but team friendly deal. 
 

Dickinson can go to arbitration and might very well do so, but we won’t lose him, Hughes isn’t arb eligible or offer sheet eligible so he has no real leverage.

 

Petey is where the main hold up lies I presume 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

Watch the interview with Benning. When asked about Poolman he said that was what Shaw wanted.

This is important and encouraging.  Best case scenario is Tanev-light.  But no matter how it works out, we were going to have to take a chance on someone in a very tight RD market.  We haven't been drafting and developing our own (hopefully Woo changes that soon) so this is what happens.  Interesting that Hakanpaa hasn't been signed yet and there was lots of interest in Poolman.  Glad we got him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

This is important and encouraging.  Best case scenario is Tanev-light.  But no matter how it works out, we were going to have to take a chance on someone in a very tight RD market.  We haven't been drafting and developing our own (hopefully Woo changes that soon) so this is what happens.  Interesting that Hakanpaa hasn't been signed yet and there was lots of interest in Poolman.  Glad we got him. 

D are a fickle breed.  They are drafted so young that it’s hit and miss whether they will develop into a good NHL player.  Tampa, on their cup teams, only drafted Hedman.  The rest of their D came from trades or UFA signings.  

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

D are a fickle breed.  They are drafted so young that it’s hit and miss whether they will develop into a good NHL player.  Tampa, on their cup teams, only drafted Hedman.  The rest of their D came from trades or UFA signings.  

thats it Alf, 11/12 of their drafted guys last year were forwards. 

 

The Canucks are getting close to having that many drafted and developed guys in our lineup as well, it seems to me like a lot of people gloss over that. We should have 9, possibly 10 next season. Year after that maybe 11 or 12. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Maddogy said:

A bottom pairing RD.

 

Who is gonna be top 4 RD for Canucks?

Looking like Myers and Hamonic.

 

Didn't really make any significant upgrade from last year other than maybe OEL over Edler.

 

Was hoping for a bigger piece on d.

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

D are a fickle breed.  They are drafted so young that it’s hit and miss whether they will develop into a good NHL player.  Tampa, on their cup teams, only drafted Hedman.  The rest of their D came from trades or UFA signings.  

The NHL draft would be much better for the teams and fans if they drafted 20 or 21 year olds instead of 17-18 year olds who still have a long way to go to grow into their bodies and develop mental maturity.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

D are a fickle breed.  They are drafted so young that it’s hit and miss whether they will develop into a good NHL player.  Tampa, on their cup teams, only drafted Hedman.  The rest of their D came from trades or UFA signings.  

Good point about Tampa.  It doesn't matter whether you get D by draft, trade or FA, just as long as you get them.  But you usually overpay in FA.  Tampa made a couple of very smart trades for Sergachev and Cernak before they broke out as players.  That's what you have to do if you're always drafting BPA and don't end up with the right balance of prospects.  And its way easier said than done. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's pretty clear by signing Hamonic and Poolman that they are wanting to see how far Woo jumps up the rankings this year. I am very excited about Woo and think he can be partnered with Hughes or Rathbone. Benning and co have set up a nice line up of prospects and AHL/NHL depth to test our kids out to see how ready they really are. Not just in Woo's case but in all other positions too.

 

Creating internal competition is hard tho, because you can add too many players and discourage others. You have to add the right amount and let the guys play for the spots.

 

I think Benning has done this in spades throughout the line up. And it all starts with a really solid AHL team. Which we just got yesterday.

 

Friggin awesome!

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

The rush to judgement is hilarious. Never seen him play…..but don’t like him

 

Now that Edler and a few others have departed, there’s a frenzied search for new whipping boys.

 

Nature abhors a vacuum.

 

Welcome to Vancouver Tucker.

 

 

Myers will be th golden goose of whipping boy targets. 

 

Poolman is a target too with that extra term 4 year deal.

 

If it's only 2 years nobody is really concerned.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Provost said:

 We paid more for a guy than anyone was willing to

That's usually how free agency works.  We got fair market value on this and discounts on the other contracts.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'm in the minority on Hamonic - I realize, like a lot of players around the league, that last season was not a great indicator of value - so many negative mitigating factors - but I still feel his spot was the ripest to upgrade upon - if possible.   At the same time I have to acknowledge that the market didn't necessarily cooperate - and the markets have been somewhat unpredictable the past few years.  A lot of us expected Tampa, for example, to have to make moves last offseason, and they circumvented most people's expectations.   I also did not expect market prices to reinflate so quickly again this free agency, but it got far more frenzied than I anticipated.  Expected more player movement around the expansion draft as well - that did not play out anywhere near comparably to the last one - virtually none of the guys I wanted moved - and at the same time, a guy like Savard that was attractive as marginal to the CBJ, wound up showcasing himself in a SCC and went to the Habs...Beyond a few RHD targets, there isn't really the market for Hughes partners that I may have hoped.  That was the one thing that would have tempted me to move the 9th overall - but I can't argue with what they did do, particularly considering using that pick for acquire a Hughes partner didn't seem a likelihood either. The one thing I like about the decision they did make - it's only two years on Hamonic - I would have preferred one - but can live with two. It bridges to the possibility of his replacement - remaining imo the team's top priority.   Poolman's term I am more comfortable with, because, again, I see Hamonic as more of a placeholder, particularly if he's higher up in the lineup.  My feeling on Poolman is that people with particularly low expectations - are going to be pleasantly surprised.   Where Edler is concerned - he's a big loss - but OEL is not what he's been made out to be by the majority of what I think are bad takes, suggesting he's been one of the worst contracts in the NHL, or no longer a top4, or incapable of playing in his own end of the ice - I find all of that utterly bizarre and in a class with the general takes on JT Miller before people here replaced all the odd sandbagging with first hand impressions of how good the guy is in our lineup.

So to summarize:

 

-Oliver Ekmann Larson is an upgrade on Edler. 

- There could have been better options than Hamonic in the top 4 but he just has to be an upgraded version of himself from  last season and it's a short term win. It's only 2 years and then the Canucks can go hunting for a bigger prize again. 

- Poolman will be a pleasant surprise as a bottom pairing guy if we don't expect him to play like a top 4. 4 years is fine because he will be a steady and reliable guy every year.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

It concerns me that poolman was signed  when we have four rfas unsigned. Im sure it will all work out, but 2.5 mill is 2.5 mill. Two of those rfas are considered vital to team success and the other was brought in to be a 3c upgrade via trade. 

 

Im sure benning knows what hes doing, but hes really playing with fire. Last i checked there was just over 16 mill to sign petey quinn dickinson and oj, not including ferlands ltir. Obviously it should be plenty of cash so whats the holdup? 

Why would that concern you?  It's a smart move if for no other reason that JB can say that depth is more important than blowing his cap on a CPL of players and that he wants to win

 

He can now go to rfa's and say "this is how much we've got left to spend on you, so you best stay under this number".  To me, waiting on the rfa's is a good move

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Good point about Tampa.  It doesn't matter whether you get D by draft, trade or FA, just as long as you get them.  But you usually overpay in FA.  Tampa made a couple of very smart trades for Sergachev and Cernak before they broke out as players.  That's what you have to do if you're always drafting BPA and don't end up with the right balance of prospects.  And its way easier said than done. 

And the one d man they did draft (Hedman - who imo is the best player in the league) is phenomenal.  

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...