The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I honestly think some people are looking at this the wrong way....

Essentially, Schmidt has been replaced by OEL. Both 30 years old, OEL makes a bit more money after the partial retention by the 'Yotes. Edler, at 35 years old has been replaced by Poolman and Schenn, for slightly less money.

In addition, we acquired a forward who will be top 9 at absolute worst, but more likely slots in as a top 6. (We also acquired a 3C, which cost us nothing in assets.....)

Yes, this allt cost us a 13th overall pick which certainly stings, but it also allowed us to move some bad contracts and (hopefully) free up enough money to re-sign two franchise RFAs.....

Concerns about what some of these deals will look like down the road is valid, but nobody actually knows what will happen....The bottom line, IMHO, is that this team looks significantly better than it did a year ago and I believe that JB and co examined the risk / reward aspect of these moves and arrived at the conclusion that it was the right thing to do.

As did I....

I don't really know what Poolman has to do with any of the other moves...  His signing was independent of everything else and a case could have been made that a 1 year filler could have been brought in to be the bottom pairing (or, you know, one of Schenn or Bowey). I think most people could live with the AAV on a 1-2 year deal but it's really the term that is crippling for the complainerd and reminiscent of other term deals in this salary range signed in the last few years that have been immoveable and a major cap hinderence.  People say $2.5M is nothing but that is false and the contract could be annoying in the coming years with multiple big extensions (Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Highlander, Rathbone/Juolevi....) needed, especially if the cap is flat. Hopefully we get some cap inflation soon and Poolman is serviceable, or better.  Maybe he exceeds the very low expectations most seem to have and allows us to be competitive into our prime years. I certainly haven't ruled that out and will give him a fair shake. Time will tell.  Suffice to say, my elation of our position on Tuesday night took a big hit after the Poolman deal and I would like nothing more than have my concerns proven wrong.  I don't know much about advanced stats but one common theme I have seen is that we didn't have a very good defensive system last year and the hope is Shaw comes in and cleans things up.  Sounds like he wanted Poolman and maybe he has a master plan to build a good system.  Defense is clearly the biggest question mark on this team and if they can exceed expectations I think we are a cup contender.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, tas said:

if it wasn't that it would be something else. 

this "fanbase" started calling the sedins "the sisters" before there was a salary cap. they were shredding cloutier and making beach ball gibes before there was a salary cap. 

there will always be, every single year, on every single team, players that don't perform up to their contract or up to fan expectations. the problem is the sociopathic need possessed of the simple-minded masses to shriek endlessly and with great vitriol about it on the radio and the blogs and twitter and here. 

This is very true.

"Everything is great!" they shriek, endlessly. "Every move our golden GM makes is purposeful and well thought out. Planned, if you will." 

"Losing is the fault of our fans, you see" they declare, simple-mindedly.

Edited by awalk
  • Hydration 1
  • Wat 1
  • Burr 2
  • RoughGame 2

4 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

I don't really know what Poolman has to do with any of the other moves...  His signing was independent of everything else and a case could have been made that a 1 year filler could have been brought in to be the bottom pairing (or, you know, one of Schenn or Bowey). I think most people could live with the AAV on a 1-2 year deal but it's really the term that is crippling for the complainerd and reminiscent of other term deals in this salary range signed in the last few years that have been immoveable and a major cap hinderence.  People say $2.5M is nothing but that is false and the contract could be annoying in the coming years with multiple big extensions (Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Highlander, Rathbone/Juolevi....) needed, especially if the cap is flat. Hopefully we get some cap inflation soon and Poolman is serviceable, or better.  Maybe he exceeds the very low expectations most seem to have and allows us to be competitive into our prime years. I certainly haven't ruled that out and will give him a fair shake. Time will tell.  Suffice to say, my elation of our position on Tuesday night took a big hit after the Poolman deal and I would like nothing more than have my concerns proven wrong.  I don't know much about advanced stats but one common theme I have seen is that we didn't have a very good defensive system last year and the hope is Shaw comes in and cleans things up.  Sounds like he wanted Poolman and maybe he has a master plan to build a good system.  Defense is clearly the biggest question mark on this team and if they can exceed expectations I think we are a cup contender.

Really? You went from "elated" to depressed (or whatever you're feeling) because we signed a bottom pairing defenseman at 2.5 million per? :huh:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Really? You went from "elated" to depressed (or whatever you're feeling) because we signed a bottom pairing defenseman at 2.5 million per? :huh:

....For 4 years.... And no, not depressed...just disappointed, like we have learned nothing from years of miserable 'July 1' signings that have had significant opportunity costs that have crippled a team that should have been a cup contender with the talent we had on ELCs and an ownership group willing to spend to the cap.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

2.5.... meh not that bad! 3 million each for Beagle and Roussel? Meh not that bad!! 

It's definitely easy to see how this signing could go horribly wrong in a fee years for sure.

• Hydration 1

Just now, TmanVan said:

2.5.... meh not that bad! 3 million each for Beagle and Roussel? Meh not that bad!! 

It's definitely easy to see how this signing could go horribly wrong in a fee years for sure.

you can say that about almost any player. 

• Hydration 1

2 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

....For 4 years.... And no, not depressed...just disappointed, like we have learned nothing from years of miserable 'July 1' signings that have had significant opportunity costs that have crippled a team that should have been a cup contender with the talent we had on ELCs and an ownership group willing to spend to the cap.

Yes, 4 years. I still don't see that as a "crippling" issue, at 2.5 million per....

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Provost said:

You aggressively go after anyone who doesn’t post 100% positive comments… presumably to farm a few “likes” from the same tiny handful of other folks who seem to think they have some moral authority to control all the conversation on this forum.  

Most people don’t agree with you, so why don’t you try dropping that garbage and not pretend that your opinion has a single iota more validity than that of anyone else.

It is eminently reasonable to question the money and term for a guy with a limited resume and poor stats. 

That is entirely unrelated to how that player might end up working out for us and entirely unrelated to someone’s hope that the player turns out well for us.  We paid more for a guy than anyone was willing to, and seem to have paid for upside that we hope is there rather than paying for past performance and getting to benefit from the upside in terms of an efficient contract.

Most of the stories being written about this signing seem to agree with the folks questioning whether this is a good value signing.  Heck, literally while I was typing this, Squire Barnes was just on doing a hit calling the signing a “head scratcher” in regards to the term.

That is pretty decent evidence that posting similar thoughts isn’t “garbage”.  You not agreeing with something doesn’t make it garbage.  It is only pure ego and narcissism to have that mindset.  

You don’t know more than other posters here, no one voted you the arbitrator of what is posted.  Disagree with other takes, but the attempts to shout down and belittle other posters based just on your imagined self importance is just nonsense.

Wrong again Provost. Multiple people have questioned this signing that I have not “aggressively gone after” 

It’s the usual suspects who have always had the MO of s***ing on every move regardless of any sort of reality. And then of course you come in to white night for them as always. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Wat 2

12 minutes ago, awalk said:

This is very true.

"Everything is great!" they shriek, endlessly. "Every move our golden GM makes is purposeful and well thought out. Planned, if you will." 

"Losing is the fault of our fans, you see" they declare, simple-mindedly.

you would make a miserable teammate. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 4

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Yes, 4 years. I still don't see that as a "crippling" issue, at 2.5 million per....

Well at present we are projected to have very little cap space in 2 years and Miller/Horvat are going to need raises.  They are both worth retaining and as we saw with Toffoli, and extra $1M in cap space can make a world of difference when you are up against the cap and want to retain essential talent.

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Prediction: Has two good years, a meh third year, gets bought out in 4th year. 

Absolute worst case scenario, you can bury him in the minors and save half the cap that way.  It won't come to that.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you can say that about almost any player. 

Lol. Great input, thanks. 

The point is Benning more than anyone should know that overpaying bottom pairing defencemen and 4th line depth guys usually ends up being a bad move. 

What would you rather of had a few years ago, and what is more impactful for a team:  Panarin as a free agent, while letting Macewan, Motte, etc do there thing on the 4th line for cheap or: No Panarin, and overpayed 4th line guys, who take up money for true impact signings. 

Sure, Poolman may be fine and play 4 full years for the Canucks. But at the same time that means he's.peobanly going to take the spot of someone like Jet Woo who could grow into the same role or better, for half the price. 

• Hydration 1
  • Sedinery 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, The.Burrowers said:

Well at present we are projected to have very little cap space in 2 years and Miller/Horvat are going to need raises.  They are both worth retaining and as we saw with Toffoli, and extra $1M in cap space can make a world of difference when you are up against the cap and want to retain essential talent.

There are plenty of things a GM can do to move 2.5 million in Cap space. If you worry too much about what might go wrong, you'll never do anything and the complaining on these boards will go from "JB is crippling us down the road!" :frantic: to "JB never makes any moves!" :frantic:

I repeat: I don't believe the a 2.5 million contract (even at a 4 year term) is in any way "crippling". You are welcome to disagree.....

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think JB would have done the deal if he didn't think OEL wasn't still a top 15-20 damn in the league.  People are acting like he was taking on a pure cap dump, when, really, OEL is still a star calibre player

That's certainly how Jim's public statements go, and I don't doubt that he believes it.  But it can't have been the party line in negotiations with Arizona or we'd have ended up paying quite a lot more.  It wouldn't surprise me if this part is the difference between last year's failure to reach a deal and this year's success. 

14 minutes ago, tas said:

you would make a miserable teammate. 

:wub:

I didn't think you were on the team, it looks like you're on the sidelines with pom poms in hand.

Edited by awalk
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Wrong again Provost. Multiple people have questioned this signing that I have not “aggressively gone after” 

It’s the usual suspects who have always had the MO of s***ing on every move regardless of any sort of reality. And then of course you come in to white night for them as always. 

As someone who knows the insides and out of narcissistic behaviour, I see so much projection with his posts that he could own a movie theatre. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

9.5 for a 35 year old Ovechkin, could go bad. 

It could, but Ovi earned that after years of loyal service.  Once he regresses to the point he is a nuisance at 9.5M I imagine he will have enough dignity and respect to retire and sign a huge contract in Russia... We can't fathom this with the likes of Loui Eriksson but Ovi is different.  

23 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

People say $2.5M is nothing but that is false and the contract could be annoying in the coming years with multiple big extensions (Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Highlander, Rathbone/Juolevi....) needed, especially if the cap is flat. 

Need to sign him first.  I hear his agent, Justin Cognito,  can't be found to start negotiations 

• Upvote 1