The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No I didn’t, reading comprehension issue? Any contract can be a bad one, nothing to do with comparing 

You used Ovechkin as the example, probably not the best example to use.

Any contract can be bad, including this one. Some fans seem to think that's an impossible scenario.

1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

Blunt, I have not yet begun to be doomed. 

Fair enough, Fig. I like getting "doomed" at the Selinsgrove. 

• Hydration 1
47 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You obviously didn’t watch any Winnipeg Jets games. Poolman was in their top 4 almost the entire year, averaging over 18 minutes a night in the regular season and over 22 minutes a night in the playoffs. 

Which 3rd pairing Dman in the NHL is playing over 22 minutes a night in playoff games?

Also nobody cares what the WAR and HERO charts say except John Chayka and Ron Francis. Chayka is already out of the league and serving hamburgers and fries at his Wendy’s restaurants. Francis will most likely follow him once people realize all the dumb decisions he made with Seattle and they become a bottom feeder like Arizona. 

One issue I'm going to take with this post - is the idea that Ron Francis would depend on hero gunk or  J-Fresh 'pretty charts'.... 'analytics' may get a bad name in the twitter chart context, and regardless of how 'good' the analytics are, they have serious limits inevitably - but there is a fair amount of value to be gleaned to a reasonable extent.  'Analytics are only as good as the analyst' - and I have no doubt there are some very good analysts working for NHL franchises - while there are also endless really weak, one-dimensional sources noising up the internet.

I think Francis is highly under-rated - did a great job in Carolina building what he left behind as the bulk of that highly competitive roster - and I think many people are sleeping on what he's doing in Seattle.

It's pretty clear that GMs felt seriously stung by the conditions Vegas had and their execution of them - and closed ranks this time around - essentially making Francis take one asset and be done -leaving a lot of giant contracts on the table for him.

The first stage of that process - many people found underwhelming.  But I wouldn't underestimate some of the assets he did take - and I think he gameplanned the playing field well.  No one seemed prepared to pay the price up front, so he took what he had to work with and retained his considerable cap leverage - and it's already played out , for example, as being able to take Grubauer off the Avs - and he's nowhere near done....

Edited by oldnews
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2
22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m still waiting for my offer sheet from Bergevin. I heard it is going to be really big and I will also get free Audis for the rest of my life.  :)

This all sounds very self-centered. You should be thinking of appropriating an Audi for me as well. Then we roll. Capiche?

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough, Fig. I like getting "doomed" at the Selinsgrove. 

Yep ... one eastern European stripper at a time. 

• Vintage 1
1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

Yep ... one eastern European stripper at a time. 

I remember being constantly reminded by Alexa on the proper pronunciation of Budapest.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I remember being constantly reminded by Alexa on the proper pronunciation of Budapest.

Yeah, after a few drinks it comes out as Puda-something-or-other. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, oldnews said:

It's only an 'overpayment' if people google-surface glide some shallow takes, know nothing about the player, and ignore the actual role he played in Winnipeg (resorting to repeated 'bottom pairing' one-liners.

This morning provided one of the few 'bases' to question this deal - with Hakanpaa coming in at a reasonable 1.5 million (to go to Dallas) - however, I'd consider Schenn and Hakanpaa better 'comparables'  with Schenn being more 'heavy' than Poolman, and less mobile - while more experienced and 'proven' than Hakanpaa.

So there's no reason that the complaining about this deal should not be counterpointed/counterbalanced with some praise for having secured Schenn for a better cap hit than Hakanpaa.

What makes Poolman more versatile imo is his skating.   Repeating myself here, but I'd hoped we'd find a more mobile partner for Hughes - OEL may turn out to be another option in th end  (doubtful he's 'plan A' having brought back Hamonic) - but one advantage Poolman brings is his skating (not a minor factor by any stretch of the imagination) - he brings the stay-at-home defensive qualities of these other guys, perhaps with  less heaviness - but still hard to play against, and he'd be my secondary guess to stepping up with Hughes if necessary.   As a '3rd pairing' D I think he'll be excellent - as a candidate to move up or bring more versatility, he probably gets a solid edge over guys like Hakanpaa or Schenn.

c6a67bf77321c889e76467d75308ab31200b45f587883aabaa54120da72caafe.jpg.9833fc41a6e626fbd4a516813e147a8d.jpg

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Canucks free agent signing threads.....

Hamonic = 10 pages

Halak = 6 pages

Schenn = 11 pages

Sutter = 9 pages

Garland = only 14 pages!

Poolman = 54 pages

:frantic::sick::ph34r:

Living Well in the Fishbowl of Ministry - Just Between Us

Vigneault Laughin GIF | Gfycat

I guess we have figured out who the new Canucks whipping boy will be. 

I wonder what will happen if Green plays Poolman with Hughes and they start to click? What if Poolman becomes the go to partner for Hughes?  

This will make for some very interesting and fun debates in future threads. 

• Hydration 1
5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Hamonic = 10 pages

Halak = 6 pages

Schenn = 11 pages

Sutter = 9 pages

Garland = only 14 pages!

Poolman = 54 pages

Sums up this market, its fans, and the media pretty succinctly.

• Hydration 2
1 hour ago, oldnews said:

It's only an 'overpayment' if people google-surface glide some shallow takes, know nothing about the player, and ignore the actual role he played in Winnipeg (resorting to repeated 'bottom pairing' one-liners.

This morning provided one of the few 'bases' to question this deal - with Hakanpaa coming in at a reasonable 1.5 million (to go to Dallas) - however, I'd consider Schenn and Hakanpaa better 'comparables'  with Schenn being more 'heavy' than Poolman, and less mobile - while more experienced and 'proven' than Hakanpaa.

So there's no reason that the complaining about this deal should not be counterpointed/counterbalanced with some praise for having secured Schenn for a better cap hit than Hakanpaa.

What makes Poolman more versatile imo is his skating.   Repeating myself here, but I'd hoped we'd find a more mobile partner for Hughes - OEL may turn out to be another option in th end  (doubtful he's 'plan A' having brought back Hamonic) - but one advantage Poolman brings is his skating (not a minor factor by any stretch of the imagination) - he brings the stay-at-home defensive qualities of these other guys, perhaps with  less heaviness - but still hard to play against, and he'd be my secondary guess to stepping up with Hughes if necessary.   As a '3rd pairing' D I think he'll be excellent - as a candidate to move up or bring more versatility, he probably gets a solid edge over guys like Hakanpaa or Schenn.

Really good take here. A certain portion of the fanbase is fixated on "overpayment" only without context, patience, or ability to let the positives play out. 

It's as if any perceived overpayment now must be met with the same negative reaction no matter the amount.

We endured several legitimate and serious overpayments in recent years that justified a certain level of frustration and negativity. Totally get that. But you also have to be able to assess value whether it's tangible or intangible, see the positives, and then allow/give that value a chance to play out. 

From what I see, Poolman was signed at the urging of Shaw, because of his defensive responsibilty/accountability and ability to eat big minutes without being a liability. This is exactly what we need to balance out our D with stay at home responsibility. Obviously Shaw sees his value. Also Boeser who played with him. 

We're not bringing him here to produce offense, which I think some people are getting hung up on without seeing the other side. His true value isn't apparent right now and won't be reflected in his offensive stats online. 

At 28, with a four year contract, we're getting a Dman entering his best years who's getting a legit opportunity to take his game to the next level after being relied upon in Winnipeg and gaining invaluable experience. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Thanks 2
  • Hydration 2
6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Hamonic = 10 pages

Halak = 6 pages

Schenn = 11 pages

Sutter = 9 pages

Garland = only 14 pages!

Poolman = 54 pages

Haha...I guess CDC nay sayers have chosen where to aim their pitchforks...

2.5 mil for a solid top 6 RD...even at 4 years is not bad at all.

Same people were complaining about filling our bottom D ranks with the Bartkowski's of the world.

Chicken little syndrome, sky is always falling for some people.

Watch the Jets games from last year and you will see the good addition we have added...but no gotta just use them googled stats...I laughed good and hard on your take there lol.

• Hydration 3
25 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Hamonic = 10 pages

Halak = 6 pages

Schenn = 11 pages

Sutter = 9 pages

Garland = only 14 pages!

Poolman = 54 pages

18 minutes ago, Jai604 said:

Sums up this market, its fans, and the media pretty succinctly.

ayup.

the narrative has already been decided for both oel and poolman. one bad giveaway or missed assignment and it'll be suckman-fartsson and poopman.

good luck, fellas. I hope you play perfect hockey, otherwise you're doomed. 

Edited by tas
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1

In my mind Poolman is their "long term" replacement for Stecher. 

I know there have been 'analytics' thrown around about how good Stecher was but IMHO he got exposed in the Las Vegas series last year.  He couldnt handle their bigger players, it looked to me like Vegas was purposely targeting his corner with dump ins and rushes  because he had trouble with board battles and protecting lanes to the net.  

Waiting to see if Poolman is tougher to play against.  Other than glimpses of him in Winnipeg, I dont know enough about him.  Waiting to see him in a bunch of Canuck games.  

If he can handle the bigger players, win his fair share of board battles, and use his speed to skate the puck out of trouble the salary will be well deserved.

• Hydration 1