The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

just pointing out you can "what if" anything. 

Take a look at our current roster, there is very little FAT on that lineup. Would another 500-750k change that F group (or d group) by much? nope. 

We just don't know if Poolman is overpaid or not. Maybe he is. But maybe its a steal. Its a bet, and kind of a neat one. I do like the Boeser connection to UND. 

Agreed.  The fat was trimmed:

image.thumb.jpeg.0e30e75449d1183f301e74b1c27a48da.jpeg

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

just pointing out you can "what if" anything. 

Take a look at our current roster, there is very little fat on that lineup. Would another 500-750k change that F group (or d group) by much? nope. 

We just don't know if Poolman is overpaid or not. Maybe he is. But maybe its a steal. Its a bet, and kind of a neat one. I do like the Boeser connection to UND. 

The big criticism on Poolman was his stats. Many cherry picked on that.  

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=144209

He has produced at every level of hockey including the NHL, one year remove of a 16 point 57 game season. 

• Burr 1

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You know.  He’s real good.  He’s got a good stick.  He, you know, gets back to pucks.  You know.  Oh you wanted what I think, and not what Benning does.  :lol:

I read that in bennings voice:lol:

Edited by coryberg
  • Haha 3

Just now, vancan2233 said:

He has produced at every level of hockey including the NHL, one year remove of a 16 point 57 game season. 

its funny, some on CDC always seem to need someone to whip before they've played a game for us. 

I don't know if its true that Shaw had a say it in like I've seen some say, but if he did that makes it interesting. 

I'm very happy with the lunch bucket right side depth we have now. No, we don't have a right side superstar, but we do have guys that play hard now. The depth chart on the right side hasn't had this many options in a long time. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

All these folks worried about Poolman and man's probably off enjoying himself in a pool somewhere

Dog day's of summer are coming, we can babble about this or that but we simply won't have a solid idea of anything til training camp at the earliest 

He's the pool man. He's not in a pool, man. He cleans the pool slow and methodically, and then cracks a cold one at the end of his shift to admire his work. Meanwhile, huggy comes running across the pool deck full speed with his rubber duck arm floaties and poolman has to yell at him to slow the hell down! 

(This is the relationship i picture on the ice as well)

I do wonder if the plan is to play him with Hughes on the second pairing. Shaw wasn't here last year, so he has no marriage to the Hughes-Hamonic pairing, and with Poolman being relatively defensively sound, pretty big, and a good skater, he could match well with Hughes, and Hamonic could be a good pairing with OEL. 

Taking the Hamonic-Hughes pairing put of the equation, I think this setup looks a lot better on paper than the one most people have locked in.

OEL- Hamonic

Hughes- Poolman

Juolevi/Rathbone- Myers

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its funny, some on CDC always seem to need someone to whip before they've played a game for us. 

I don't know if its true that Shaw had a say it in like I've seen some say, but if he did that makes it interesting. 

I'm very happy with the lunch bucket right side depth we have now. No, we don't have a right side superstar, but we do have guys that play hard now. The depth chart on the right side hasn't had this many options in a long time. 

Did the last two Cup winners (TBay) have a star right shot D?  Nope.  Their righties were (are) depth guys who play very defensively.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I do wonder if the plan is to play him with Hughes on the second pairing. Shaw wasn't here last year, so he has no marriage to the Hughes-Hamonic pairing, and with Poolman being relatively defensively sound, pretty big, and a good skater, he could match well with Hughes, and Hamonic could be a good pairing with OEL. 

Taking the Hamonic-Hughes pairing put of the equation, I think this setup looks a lot better on paper than the one most people have locked in.

OEL- Hamonic

Hughes- Poolman

Juolevi/Rathbone- Myers

Exactly what I was thinking. Hamonic should do great with OEL - OEL's more defensively responsible than Hughes, + OEL is a good PK'er. OEL + Hamonic can munch up shutdown minutes.

Leaves the easier defensive work to Hughes & the pool man. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

35 points in 60 AHL games too.

He is a smart player that can play all sorts of situations (as eveidenced last year in a primary shutdown role). He's got a great toolbox... right @kanucks25?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Hahaha - I watched the Montreal series too! He was really good defensively. 
The contract is actually not bad, its really really good. Its both tradeable and has a really good buyout structure. If we want to buy him out next year, his cap hit would be 1m, and only 300k/year for the last 2 years of his contract.

If on the other hand he ends up playing the shutdown role as well as I think he will, he'll be playing for us at a 1m/year discount or so for 3 years. 

Thats the advantage of the 4 year deal - potentially a great discount, and if he's unexpectedly awful, minimal cap implications. 

I also watched that series and he looked solid based on the Jets deployment & system - imo, this will come down to Shaw & the staff and how they can put these players in positions that they can thrive in.  

I don’t mind the contract due to Shaws’ reputation as a defensive coach & his ability to develope defence man’s.   

This offseason, seems to indicate that the Canucks have a 4-5 yr compete window - sprinkled with some luck.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Two lazy ass loafers out, and for 1/4 the cost a guy who is in shape, and committed in.  :emot-parrot:

did you catch the Brad Hunt interview on 650 this afternoon? its going to be a really competitive camp, particularly for the bottom pairing d guys. This is going to be a really fun season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

did you catch the Brad Hunt interview on 650 this afternoon? its going to be a really competitive camp, particularly for the bottom pairing d guys. This is going to be a really fun season. 

Yes, I did hear that (seriously, what else do I have to do. :lol:

Lots more depth than I can ever remember, and at all positions too.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

He's the pool man. He's not in a pool, man. He cleans the pool slow and methodically, and then cracks a cold one at the end of his shift to admire his work. Meanwhile, huggy comes running across the pool deck full speed with his rubber duck arm floaties and poolman has to yell at him to slow the hell down! 

(This is the relationship i picture on the ice as well)

I hope he yells plenty loud, it'd be a shame to have Huggy get hurt before he even re-signs 

• Cheers 1