The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The biggest criticisms I've seen thrown at Poolman from Winnipeg fans on the general HFBoards are a poor outlet pass and him just looking out of his depth when forced to play top pairing minutes. Hughes obviously won't be playing a ton of hard top pairing matchup minutes, and he likes to carry the puck into the Ozone, so that should help negate Poolman's perceived weaknesses. His strengths seem to be solid defensive play and his skating, which should help him cover for Hughes when Hughes goes off on one of his wild adventures.

Hopefully, Shaw has recognized this as well - looking forward, to what Shaw can do compared to last few years horror show.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I feel bad for Poolman already. Seems he has been set up to meet some lofty expectations or forever be shunned to Aaron Romeland if he falls short of that.

He is a Canuck now so I support him and will cheer for him and hope for the best. I don't care how much he signed for, just let him play.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, GarthButcher5 said:

I feel bad for Poolman already. Seems he has been set up to meet some lofty expectations or forever be shunned to Aaron Romeland if he falls short of that.

He is a Canuck now so I support him and will cheer for him and hope for the best. I don't care how much he signed for, just let him play.

I kind of feel the opposite. The guy has been signed at 3rd pairing money. He has clearly shown that he is at worst a 3rd pairing dman. He has a lot of room to impress. Should be a pleasant surprise to even the biggest negative Nancy's.

• Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I kind of feel the opposite. The guy has been signed at 3rd pairing money. He has clearly shown that he is at worst a 3rd pairing dman. He has a lot of room to impress. Should be a pleasant surprise to even the biggest negative Nancy's.

I think what he's trying to say is that Poolman is already a Nucks whipping boy right after signing a new contract, and simply because past players (e.g. Loui) didn't show up to play to expectations. Classic Canucksland.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, coryberg said:

They'll still complain that he doesn't provide offense when that literally isn't his job.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Poolman is going to get better and better because it takes a while until he up to par in the best league in the world.  He only played 160 games in the NHL.  He is a good skater, good size and is good defensively.  They asked him why he only had one penalty last year? He replied that he has good position on the forwards and on the right side of the puck, so he doesn't have to hook, hold or trip  the forwards.

He will join the attack when he gets more comfortable playing in the Canucks system.  The complainers will shut up in a year or two.

I can't wait to watch him and all the Canucks. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Some people seem to have short memories.

This was a team that had the following contracts:

Michael Del Zotto: 2 years 6 million (3.0 AAV)

Erik Gudbranson: 3 years 12 million (4.0 AAV)

Luca Sbisa: 3 years 10.8 mil (3.6 AAV)

2.5 mil is nothing compared to what these guys made. I’ll take Poolman over any one of them.

it is really funny that you being up those names.

The EXACT same posters who are whinging and name calling anyone who expresses any concerns with this contract… were whinging about anyone expressing the same concerns when those other contracts were signed.  It is almost word for word with the same aggressive shouting and stamping their feet about how dumb everyone else was for not seeing how excellent and great value those players would be.

The exact same posters did the same thing when anyone criticized all those other contracts which have since cost us massive assets to get out from under.

Hindsight showed them to be dead wrong in those cases as you point out, so maybe they should quit while they are behind and stop pretending they have any particularly useful insight… at least clearly not enough to be calling other folks out on their opinions.

Literally no one knows how this contract will play out.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1