The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

6 minutes ago, B.C.Renegade69 said:

Did Shaw make all these moves?? Jim has done better than any GM in the league this year. Name one better

Acquirng players is just one part of the equation and (imo) the other part which is more important - coaching.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Acquirng players is just one part of the equation and (imo) the other part which is more important- coaching.

Fair enough but I said nothing about coaching. I just said Shaw didn’t make any trades. Our defence was beer league at best last year, was that Jim’s fault? Yes, but who knew the year would play out as it did coming off a long run in the playoffs the year before.

10 minutes ago, B.C.Renegade69 said:

Fair enough but I said nothing about coaching. I just said Shaw didn’t make any trades. Our defence was beer league at best last year, was that Jim’s fault? Yes, but who knew the year would play out as it did coming off a long run in the playoffs the year before.

Last years roster underperformed and (imo) it reflected the inexperienced of the coaching staff.  A coaching staffs job is to maximize the roster despite the talent level. My main point with the comment is to point out the importance of coaching and winning.

Also, I didn't say anything about JBs' offseason.

On paper the Canucks should contend for a playoff spot but there is a reason why the games are played on the ice and not on paper.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Last years roster underperformed and (imo) it reflected the inexperienced of the coaching staff.  A coaching staffs job is to maximize the roster despite the talent level. My main point with the comment is to point out the importance of coaching and winning.

You may like Shaw then, at least it was addressed 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, B.C.Renegade69 said:

You may like Shaw then, at least it was addressed 

Imo, Shaw is the most important addition in the offseason and I really hope he can deliver (?).

Based on some of the articles I've read, it seems (just like Clarke with goalies) he was (also) consulted about the defenceman(s) they had targeted in this off season.

Cannot wait till pre season - exciting times to be a Canuck fan.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

So has it been settled? 

Is he 6’2 or 6’4?

Either way, he’s shorter than Podkolzin. ;) 

EDIT: Seriously, though, I’d bet on 6’4”. Just going back through some of the roster pages, he was listed as 6’3” in the USHL and 6’4” in college, so unless those numbers were both fudged, he’s probably 6’4” (and 215+ lbs) and the 6’2” is just an old measurement.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Poolman averaged 18:18 in ice time during the regular season.  DeMelo averaged only 16:58.  So Poolman for the entire year was averaging more ice time than DeMelo.  Also, Demelo's ice time dropped from 2019 to 2020 while Poolman's increased.  It's safe to say that Winnipeg has been relying more on Poolman and less on DeMelo this year.

Tucker Poolman:

2019-20 26 WPG NHL 57 4 12 16 -1 24 3 0 1 1 12 0 0 64 6.3 149 995 17:27 0 0   59 58 14 46  
2020-21 27 WPG NHL 39 0 1 1 -2 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 50 0.0 97 714 18:18 0 0   49 69 8 34

Dylan DeMelo:

2019-20 26 WPG NHL 10 0 0 0 1 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 10 0.0 25 212 21:14 0 0   14 11 1 4  
2020-21 27 WPG NHL 52 0 9 9 10 20 0 0 0 0 8 0 1 44 0.0 89 882 16:58 0 0   58 76 9 48

Don't let the truth hinder a good story....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

On paper the Canucks should contend for a playoff spot but there is a reason why the games are played on the ice and not on paper.

Last year we:

-Lost our best player

-Quinn Hughes came back down to earth after not playing with Tanev, and had to slowly adjust.

-Took a gamble on a back up goalie that didn't work out. The team then played him over 20 times in a 50 game season. Maybe they weren't ready to give a full work load to Demko as his first year as a starter, but this also hurt the team.

-Had cancers and guys with bad attitudes that have since been removed.

-Had Alex Edler (unfortunately) slowly declining right before our eyes, but still playing big minutes. 

-Had zero scoring from out black hole bottom six.

-Lost Tyler Motte for half the season 

This year we:

-Get our best player back.

-Have upgraded options to play with Quinn Hughes so he can return to form.

-Have "hopefully" a better plan at goaltending (more work for Demko) as well as an upgraded back up option.

-Removed the cancers.

-Parted with Edler, and got younger more effective options.

-Got Jason Dickinson, one of Hoglander or Pearson, and most likely Podkolzin who all represent a huge upgrade to the bottom six and will add more offence.

-Get Motte back. 

Its hard not to be optimistic, as it seems like a lot of issues and glaring needs were taken care of, but then again it is the middle of the summer and this is all on paper. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

Last year we:

-Lost our best player

-Quinn Hughes came back down to earth after not playing with Tanev, and had to slowly adjust.

-Took a gamble on a back up goalie that didn't work out. The team then played him over 20 times in a 50 game season. Maybe they weren't ready to give a full work load to Demko as his first year as a starter, but this also hurt the team.

-Had cancers and guys with bad attitudes that have since been removed.

-Had Alex Edler (unfortunately) slowly declining right before our eyes, but still playing big minutes. 

-Had zero scoring from out black hole bottom six.

-Lost Tyler Motte for half the season 

This year we:

-Get our best player back.

-Have upgraded options to play with Quinn Hughes so he can return to form.

-Have "hopefully" a better plan at goaltending (more work for Demko) as well as an upgraded back up option.

-Removed the cancers.

-Parted with Edler, and got younger more effective options.

-Got Jason Dickinson, one of Hoglander or Pearson, and most likely Podkolzin who all represent a huge upgrade to the bottom six and will add more offence.

-Get Motte back. 

Its hard not to be optimistic, as it seems like a lot of issues and glaring needs were taken care of, but then again it is the middle of the summer and this is all on paper. 

Good points; and it also takes a lot of luck for a team to win - especially, when it comes to injuries or things outside of human control.   With hindsight, last year was a struggle from the get go and for the coming season, it is still all projection on paper with no real guarantees; except the percentages of the Canucks contending for a playoff spot has drastically increased as a result of all the moves.  The X factors in all of these is the coaching staff and IF the new players will click with the staff & the locker room (?).

With so many new players coming in, the pressure is now on the staff to put it altogether and outside of Shaw & the re shuffling of duties - it is still the same staff minus Brown.   Green should have no more excuse with personnel - either he gets exposed or he adapts ? 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

22 hours ago, stawns said:

After the last week, that's the last straw for them to grasp at.  Their little world has come crumbling down around them and they're scrambling for anything they can

Have you seen the standings my man lol

21 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Let's also remember that Benning and the boys are judges of character and talent, so if they see something in poolman then let's just see him play for us, shall we? 

Have you seen the list of D-men "Benning and the boys" are responsible for since they got here?

How is that supposed to instill any confidence lol?

4 minutes ago, IRR said:

Well, back from a 1 day ban. While i have no problem being responsible for things i said / dealing with the consequences, all i saw on here for the last 1-2 days is the usual suspects continue to consume multiple threads with their agenda as usual. I guess the old saying is true, the inmates run the asylum! For yourself, myself and most others, it's never been an issue of people having a different opinion, having constructive criticism, not agreeing with everything the team / Benning does, not seeing eye to eye and so on. ALL it is about is hate and negativity with these people...day after day, thread after thread and post after post. It's consuming this forum! Just a few examples...hate and negativity even with the positives, continuing with the hate and negativity even when proven wrong, not dealing in facts, repeating the same neg post over and over, posting neg things just to get a response / stir the pot, judging things the team / Benning do that haven't happened or had a chance to play out and much more. Never ever a positive!! For those defending them, if you can't see the difference between the first group of things i mentioned and the second group of things I mentioned, plus what this group of peoples agenda truly is, then again, i'm not sure what to tell you, but they aren't here to be a fan, support the team or have a constructive discussion re: everything Canucks. 

Am i (some others) really harsh in calling them out sometimes, for sure, but when is it enough. The multiple threads (especially the Poolman one) are just an example of that this last week or two. We're frustrated and done because it is consuming this forum and pretty much every other source of Canucks / hockey info...twitter, radio, FB and so on. We should be able to go somewhere to enjoy / discuss the Canucks without the all consuming hate / negativity by a minority. Some say ignore / block it, but it's so all consuming that that's become impossible...people need to put their foot down and say enough is enough.  

It's nice to see Devron44 and many others continue to hold it down and call out this stuff out!! 

As i said before, i hope the team (everyone assosiate) kicks a** this coming season and shoves it down the haters / neg peoples throats! 

Peace and go Canucks go! 

I actually read the whole post.  Lol. :P

Keep up the good fight.

I get fans are emotionally invested in the team and at the end of the day, we all want them to succeed and hoist the Stanley Cup.

Some pretend to know more than others but the truth of the matter is we are all armchair GMs.  JB has the real GM job.  Not entirely a JB supporter nor am I a hater.  Some trades i like.  Some trades I don't.  But I always hope for the best.  Cuz the proof is in the pudding (or in this case...on the ice).

Go Canucks Go!!!

:towel:

• Cheers 4

21 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

No I didn’t, reading comprehension issue? Any contract can be a bad one, nothing to do with comparing 

You think it's valid to compare the contract of the greatest goal scorer of all time to a depth player that most casual fans have never even heard of?

Resumes are a tad different.

• RoughGame 2