The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

20 hours ago, tas said:

ayup.

the narrative has already been decided for both oel and poolman. one bad giveaway or missed assignment and it'll be suckman-fartsson and poopman.

good luck, fellas. I hope you play perfect hockey, otherwise you're doomed. 

:lol::lol:

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Just here to provide balance to the force. It can be frustrating to see the stuff you mentioned in your post. I mentioned it before but prime example of pure hate was a guy going off about the Garland contract. I was like ok this is just getting stupid.

Trust me when I say this though. This is the best place to talk Canucks Hockey because there are a lot of level headed people here. I wouldn’t go anywhere else. I avoid the comment sections on IG. Twitter etc. And you sure as well won’t see me on HF Boards.

Lots of good sensible people here to talk hockey. Just keep the right mind set, call it out when you see it (respectfully) try anyway lol. Glad you are here IRR

For sure! Well said! There is the other side...just hard to see it through the negative fog sometimes. Lol! 

Cheers! :)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

I actually read the whole post.  Lol. :P

Keep up the good fight.

I get fans are emotionally invested in the team and at the end of the day, we all want them to succeed and hoist the Stanley Cup.

Some pretend to know more than others but the truth of the matter is we are all armchair GMs.  JB has the real GM job.  Not entirely a JB supporter nor am I a hater.  Some trades i like.  Some trades I don't.  But I always hope for the best.  Cuz the proof is in the pudding (or in this case...on the ice).

Go Canucks Go!!!

:towel:

Yes indeedy! That's all we can do / ask for...a good balance and hopefully the team does it's thing! :)

20 hours ago, tas said:

ayup.

the narrative has already been decided for both oel and poolman. one bad giveaway or missed assignment and it'll be suckman-fartsson and poopman.

good luck, fellas. I hope you play perfect hockey, otherwise you're doomed. 

Some of the fantasy hockey / "analytics" folks seem to need a whipping boy every year. This is starting to feel like when they beat Sbisa over the head with just corsi numbers.

It drives so much of the negativity in our market, but its a free country so I guess go do what makes you happy. 

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I just read he was a old teammate of BB's at UND. So I really like that BB has a good friend on the team who will always have his back. These are important connections that add to team chemistry. Good luck Pool Boy! :towel:

They have great chemistry on the power play...  :)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Ironically I estimate there are more posts in this thread complaining about the complaints, rather than the complaints themselves.

Yup. This was the original post that compelled the Benning Brigade to march:

On 7/28/2021 at 3:28 PM, kanucks25 said:

Not sure why Benning is so in love with giving depth players term in free agency but it is what it is.

Don't love this deal but willing to reserve judgement. If he and Rathbone can find chemistry on the 3rd pair it'll look good.

If this is all it takes to get feelings hurt these days, I don't even know what to say.

It's getting cultish, to be honest. Do not question the leader as under him we have only experienced prosperous times.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, IRR said:

Well, back from a 1 day ban. While i have no problem being responsible for things i said / dealing with the consequences, all i saw on here for the last 1-2 days is the usual suspects continue to consume multiple threads with their agenda as usual. I guess the old saying is true, the inmates run the asylum! For yourself, myself and most others, it's never been an issue of people having a different opinion, having constructive criticism, not agreeing with everything the team / Benning does, not seeing eye to eye and so on. ALL it is about is hate and negativity with these people...day after day, thread after thread and post after post. It's consuming this forum! Just a few examples...hate and negativity even with the positives, continuing with the hate and negativity even when proven wrong, not dealing in facts, repeating the same neg post over and over, posting neg things just to get a response / stir the pot, judging things the team / Benning do that haven't happened or had a chance to play out, applying past mistakes to current situations and much more. Never ever a positive!! For those defending them, if you can't see the difference between the first group of things i mentioned and the second group of things I mentioned, plus what this group of peoples agenda truly is, then again, i'm not sure what to tell you, but they aren't here to be a fan, support the team or have a constructive discussion re: everything Canucks. 

Am i (some others) really harsh in calling them out sometimes, for sure, but when is it enough. The multiple threads (especially the Poolman one) are just an example of that this last week or two. We're frustrated and done because it is consuming this forum and pretty much every other source of Canucks / hockey info...twitter, radio, FB and so on. We should be able to go somewhere to enjoy / discuss the Canucks without the all consuming hate / negativity by a minority. Some say ignore / block it, but it's so all consuming that that's become impossible...people need to put their foot down and say enough is enough.  

It's nice to see Devron44 and many others continue to hold it down and call out this stuff out!! 

As i said before, i hope the team (everyone assosiate) kicks a** this coming season and shoves it down the haters / neg peoples throats! 

Peace and go Canucks go! 

There's an ignore function for a reason. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, problem nowadays is too many people go hyper angry when that opinion doesn't regurgitate your opinion word for word.

Allow people to state their opinion, disagree if you want but show respect and let them say what they want, if it offends you, ignore them & carry on. You'll be happier & healthier for it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

From what i can tell the negativity around this signing isnt based on much the player has actually done badly. Its all predictions that he'll suck.

17 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Poolman? more like Poor man. People aren't even giving this guy a chance before seeing what he can do.

Half the problem with these threads / "discussions" that take on a life of their own is that the argument keeps getting twisted.

Original point was that the contract is like 33% larger than I would have expected based on his current resume so far.

Not that he's awful, not that he's going to be awful, not that this cripples our cap, not that this is a terrible transaction.

People here are so quick to defend the honour of the leader they instantly put the blinders on and go into full damage control mode without even reading and/or thinking.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

There's an ignore function for a reason. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, problem nowadays is too many people go hyper angry when that opinion doesn't regurgitate your opinion word for word.

Allow people to state their opinion, disagree if you want but show respect and let them say what they want, if it offends you, ignore them & carry on. You'll be happier & healthier for it. 

All do respect, but the point i was making is totally missed in this response! 

While my tolerance for certain thing will not change, i'm going to do my best to move forward in a different way on here. 

Regardless, thanks for the feedback and Go Canucks!

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Some people seem to have short memories.

This was a team that had the following contracts:

Michael Del Zotto: 2 years 6 million (3.0 AAV)

Erik Gudbranson: 3 years 12 million (4.0 AAV)

Luca Sbisa: 3 years 10.8 mil (3.6 AAV)

2.5 mil is nothing compared to what these guys made. I’ll take Poolman over any one of them.

There were major warning signs on Sbisa and Gudbranson well before their time in Vancouver.  In any event, Sbisa played a full season here before his extension and he was very efficient at giving away the puck.  Same with Gudbranson.  I'd actually argue Del Zotto, despite his awful play, was an okay term and AAV to give out as a free-agent.  Canucks signed him whilst in the heart of their rebuild when cap-space wasn't really a pressing need since we weren't truly pushing for playoffs.  If we want to gripe about something, giving 3 years and 3M AAV to Sam Gagner in that summer was much more tragic but obviously he isn't a defender.

2.5M alone isn't going handicap this team today but if you more similar signings like this, it starts to add up.  How crucial will that 2.5M be in two years time when we have Hoglander, Horvat, and Miller coming off the books?  3M given to both Beagle and Roussel were argued back upon signing to be "fine", yet, we saw firsthand that the 6M given to both of them helped play a part in preventing somebody like Toffoli coming back last year.  These are issues we can foresee even before he sets foot on the ice and they're absolutely fair to bring up for the purpose of discussion since we've been burned by too much term and money given to these guys in the past.

It is without question that everybody here will support Poolman and want to see him succeed, the same way they did with those players above.  But, much like those players above, he'll have to play up to his deal.  That's a reasonable ask.

• Vintage 2

11 hours ago, Provost said:

it is really funny that you being up those names.

The EXACT same posters who are whinging and name calling anyone who expresses any concerns with this contract… were whinging about anyone expressing the same concerns when those other contracts were signed.  It is almost word for word with the same aggressive shouting and stamping their feet about how dumb everyone else was for not seeing how excellent and great value those players would be.

The exact same posters did the same thing when anyone criticized all those other contracts which have since cost us massive assets to get out from under.

Hindsight showed them to be dead wrong in those cases as you point out, so maybe they should quit while they are behind and stop pretending they have any particularly useful insight… at least clearly not enough to be calling other folks out on their opinions.

Literally no one knows how this contract will play out.

2.5 AAV. 

2.5 for a right handed defence man! 

Even if he ends up in the third pair for the entirety of the contract it’s still not THAT bad. 

For the other guys you mentioned… the wise course of action is generally to wait and see.

Hindsight with JB goes both ways…. If I were a betting man at the time I would have thought out the Gudbranson pickup was better value than the Miller one. More so, I would have been an idiot for getting to worked up on either one before they had a chance to play a game in a canucks uni ;)   

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Some of the fantasy hockey / "analytics" folks seem to need a whipping boy every year. This is starting to feel like when they beat Sbisa over the head with just corsi numbers.

It drives so much of the negativity in our market, but its a free country so I guess go do what makes you happy. 

what if what makes me happy is punching those people in the mouth?

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

6 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

2.5 AAV. 

Even if he ends up in the third pair for the entirety of the contract it’s still not THAT bad. 

For the other guys you mentioned… the wise course of action is generally to wait and see.

Hindsight with JB goes both ways…. If I were a betting man at the time I would have thought out the Gudbranson pickup was better value than the Miller one. More so, I would have been an idiot for getting to worked up on either one before they had a chance to play a game in a canucks uni ;)   

And he has zero trade protection. So, in the event that he doesn't jibe here, he can be traded at anytime to anywhere. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think its that at all, I'm not sure anyone would have been that upset to see Jim replaced by another experienced GM. Say Aqua fired Jim and hired Gorton this offseason, I don't think you would have seen many people upset. 

I think people are tired of the instant criticism that seems to come along with every player that comes here, often based in flimsy stats that mean very little to new pairings, new coaching , etc.

I think it has more to do with fatigue around seeing the negativity and just wanting to enjoy the changes for 5 minutes before we start picking it all apart. 

It's a discussion board for mostly hardcore fans which means there's going to be passion, emotion, care.

What you're looking for is for people to have those emotions but only if they fall in line with your own.

What exactly are people coming to this board for if all they're looking for is for people to agree with their preconceived notions?

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

2.5 AAV. 

No one suggested it was going to cripple our crap… that is the nonsense people threw out in response to folks who weren’t convinced it was a good value signing for the guy’s resume.  It is a lot easier for them to wail and gnash their teeth about straw man arguments they invent rather than actually respond to reasonable posts.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

No one suggested it was going to cripple our crap… that is the nonsense people threw out in response to folks who weren’t convinced it was a good value signing for the guy’s resume.  It is a lot easier for them to wail and gnash their teeth about straw man arguments they invent rather than actually respond to reasonable posts.

:lol:

• Haha 2