The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

In my opinion Shaw and Benning see something in Poolman that they feel can translate into a good fit with our LD. They zeroed in on him early and didn’t waste any time going after him over many of the names that we tossed around on here. For now I’m excited to see how this plays out. If things don’t work out I won’t give a damn if he’s being paid $2.5m to play for the baby Nucks in Abbotsford.

All power to them, I hope this is the case.

But, even though it's not my money or your money, it's still money that impacts the rest of the team and its makeup.

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

How so?

In a cap world, money should be spent wisely, not frivolously, when assembling a team.  Even if you save some money by waiving a player, some money is still retained impacting the cap structure.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, AV. said:

In a cap world, money should be spent wisely, not frivolously, when assembling a team.  Even if you save some money by waiving a player, some money is still retained impacting the cap structure.

Name me one team that is perfectly managed or has been perfectly managed during this Cap Era.

If you said none, you would be right.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Name me one team that is perfectly managed or has been perfectly managed during this Cap Era.

Sigh..

The point of my post is not that we need to bat 100% but rather, we shouldn't bat 10% with free-agent signings.  Evidently, Benning has not been good with his signings, it's not unreasonable to ask of him to be better in this department...

• RoughGame 4

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Why don’t we all just wait and see how the man does for himself here? Or we could talk all summer about a 4th/5th defensemen making an entire 2.5 million 

lol no thanks, I'd rather :frantic: all offseason.

Seriously though, I hope he's worth his contract. We'll have enough people dissecting OEL all season, we don't need another target for the fans/media.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

I decided to be less "divisive". We're not supposed to divide the trolls from the fans.

I might have to use that one one day but at an appropriate time when I find a leafs fan or something haha 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Millerdraft said:

You know what? This is actually a really valid point.  Now that our beloved whale of a capitalist owner actually owns the farm team and stands to financially profit from  it, perhaps he will lighten up on demanding playoff revenue year after year which certainly has an impact on his employee’s, Mr Benning, decision making with regards to trades involving draft picks and prospects.  We have a pretty well informed fanbase (as knee jerk as it tends to be) that will gladly shell out $$$ to watch “future NHLers” that were actually drafted by the team rather than a Chicago Wolves type of scenario.

If the main club is sucking and with JBs', it is just a short drive to watch the future, if Green is unwilling to play & showcase the future.

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

… no GM has managed fewer wins per cap dollar spent than Benning over his tenure so saying “well no one is perfect” is completely disingenuous.  Nobody suggested that perfection was the bar.

The very few teams that have been regularly worse than us over that span don’t spend anywhere near the cap ceiling like we have been the whole time.

How exactly has that record gained him the benefit of the doubt?

Edited by Provost
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1