The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

We can stop the off topic comments, I have the logic from the posts pretty clearly.

-  we were rebuilding by trading away high picks to keep us competitive in the short term

-  we were spending to the cap in an effort to not make the playoffs but also not draft too high

-  we were trading away young players for extra veterans to mentor young players even though our team was already mostly veterans.

- the term “rebuild” in our context doesn’t mean what it has ever meant before.

-  we have to ignore what Benning actually said because he had a secret plan that a few posters were lucky enough to be let in on

-  Even though none of the above things actually worked and the team was not actually competitive and has had one of the worst records in the entire league over the past several years… Benning is a genius for  doing it.

Got it… no need for you folks to respond and further derail the thread.  I perfectly understand where you are coming from, no need to elaborate further.
It can go back to its regular programming.

Edited by Provost
  • Wat 2

21 hours ago, Millerdraft said:

I think people need to rethink what our team’s philosophy of “shutdown defence” looks like in the modern NHL.  It’s not entirely changed from the classical sense of the term (rigid defensive structure, tight man on man checking and immediate pressure on the puck) but there is more priority placed on keeping the other team’s best players hemmed in their own end and tiring them out by forcing them to expend most of their energy defending (which is not a new concept).  This concept requires just as much emphasis on the “shutdown” forward line’s ability to forecheck effectively and maintain extended cycling of the puck.  So as much as defensive zone acumen is a critical component of any type of shutdown hockey, traditional or otherwise, today’s era requires a slightly different approach and OEL should be good at transitioning the puck quickly up to the “shutdown” forwards and then getting involved in the cycle.  Hughes is even better at this aspect but he lacks the size and physicality to disrupt the cycle on bigger top lines.  In that regard OEL is a better fit for a head to head role.

I’m of the opinion that Poolman is likely a better fit with Hughes, and Hamonic with OEL, especially when you consider that OEL & Hamonic will likely be out there with Dickinson’s line.  That will allow the mobility of Hughes & Poolman to wreak havoc in a more purely offensive way on their cycling  than the more “kill the shift clock” conservative approach of the five man shutdown unit.

Poolman has but 120 NHL games experience.  I’m not sure putting him with Hughes would be the right way to go (Hughes has more NHL experience at this point and he’s just a kid)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Poolman has but 120 NHL games experience.  I’m not sure putting him with Hughes would be the right way to go (Hughes has more NHL experience at this point and he’s just a kid)

I think Shaw will take a long hard look at the pairings. He'll find the right fit, for Hughes we someone who can skate back and read the play, and communicate with the forwards to support the play coming back. 

While we're at it we should design coverage to let Hughes freelance like he can. But I have an odd feeling Shaw will be reigning Hughes in some. 

7 minutes ago, Azzy said:

I'd be happy to trial it - I saw Poolman play on that UND team with Boeser, Caggiula, Schmaltz and Stecher. He was perfectly happy keeping a watching brief as others (Stech and Wolanin) stepped into the mix. With Hughes being so offensive-minded I'm happy to pair him with a guy who's been used to being last man standing for at least the last seven years of his career.

That’s a different league/style of play.  What works there doesn’t always translate in the NHL.  Loui Eriksson looked good with the Sedins in international hockey.  But sure, try it out in preseason where the games don’t count.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

32 minutes ago, Provost said:

We can stop the off topic comments, I have the logic from the posts pretty clearly.

-  we were rebuilding by trading away high picks to keep us competitive in the short term

-  we were spending to the cap in an effort to not make the playoffs but also not draft too high

-  we were trading away young players for extra veterans to mentor young players even though our team was already mostly veterans.

-  we have to ignore what Benning actually said because he had a secret plan that a few posters were lucky enough to be let in on

-  Even though none of the above things actually worked and the team was not actually competitive and has had one of the worst records in the entire league over the past several years… Benning is a genius for  doing it.

Got it… no need for you folks to respond and further derail the thread.  I perfectly understand where you are coming from, no need to elaborate further.

Get off your high horse!!! You're part of the issue on here!! 

I've contributed to the back and forth, but at least i can acknowledge it. 

• Cheers 3

39 minutes ago, IRR said:

Get off your high horse!!! You're part of the issue on here!! 

I've contributed to the back and forth, but at least i can acknowledge it. 

I didn’t say I wasn’t… I said I got the logic clearly so it is fine to move on without belabouring further.

I won’t agree with what these few posters are saying because it just doesn’t make any sense to me and the explanations keep changing…. and they won’t ever say that Benning messed things up no matter what the outcome on the ice has been because they believe it is only appropriate to post 100% positive comments on this forum or we are destroying the team.

Why continue that discussion when there is clearly never going to be a meeting of the minds on it?

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 2

40 minutes ago, Provost said:

Wait, you just continued the derailment, added your spin to it, and told ppl not to go off topic anymore?

Kind of hard to do that.

• Cheers 4

26 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

That’s a different league/style of play.  What works there doesn’t always translate in the NHL.  Loui Eriksson looked good with the Sedins in international hockey.  But sure, try it out in preseason where the games don’t count.

If you want to cut things that narrowly, there's a different style of play when you play Detroit one game and Tampa the next. Between New Jersey and the Islanders. Between Edmonton and Calgary. Quinn will play the same against every opponent so to have someone defensively responsible, who's used to skating backwards on a 2-on-1 and is comfortable with it, that's a key part of keeping Demko's GAA down.

I'd certainly be far more content pairing Poolman with Hughes than Myers with Hughes.

Just now, Provost said:

I didn’t say I wasn’t… I said I got the logic clearly so it is fine to move on without belabouring further.

I won’t agree with what these few posters are saying because it just doesn’t make any sense to me and the explanations keep changing…. and they won’t ever say that Benning messed things up no matter what the outcome on the ice has been because they believe it is only appropriate to post 100% positive comments on this forum or we are destroying the team.

Why continue that discussion when there is clearly never going to be a meeting of the kids on it?

No one has ever said Benning has done a perfect job, so I don't know why you are making it seem like we are blind Benning homers. This is a complete misrepresentation of fans here.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

No one has ever said Benning has done a perfect job, so I don't know why you are making it seem like we are blind Benning homers. This is a complete misrepresentation of fans here.

Folks just aren’t allowed to post on here that a Benning hasn’t done a perfect job… well according to you.

… innocuous comments about this contract seeming like an overpayment in terms of dollars and/or term for a guy with a slim resume have resulted in about 50 pages of personal vitriol and attacks about constant negativity… even in the face of direct evidence that the same posters who have concerns about this particular contract have posted positively about a number of the other moves made this offseason.

I characterize by the evidence of my eyes and the actions I see.  Any criticism is intolerable to you and a few others.  If you agree with 5 moves and disagree with one then you are destroying the team by being so toxic that no one would ever want to play here.

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 2

Yesterday, myself and a few others had a pretty interesting and civil discussion about Poolman's role on this team, Brad Shaw's influence, the effectiveness of this d-core, and our hope for the team in this upcoming season.  Then, the usual suspects - those who make it their life's work to "call out the BS" and address this "negativity"  -  came in and suddenly, we're back at the derailment territory.  Not a single thought on Poolman.

Makes you wonder...

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 2

22 minutes ago, Provost said:

Why continue that discussion when there is clearly never going to be a meeting of the kids on it?

Fair enough, but that was contributing...and it's not just this time its happened. If things are going to setting down on here, it's on both sides and especially the worst offenders (not saying you are). Yes, the calling out isn't helping, but neither does the handful of people consuming every thread with constant negativity. I think we can all at least agree with both those things. Maybe everyone just needs a break from this and go enjoy the summer, family etc. 

Edited by IRR
  • Cheers 3
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, IRR said:

Fair enough, but that was contributing...and it's not just this time its happened. If things are going to setting down on here, it's on both sides and especially the worst offenders (not saying you are). Yes, the calling out isn't helping, but neither does the handful of people consuming every thread with constant nregativity. I think we can all at least agree with both those things. Maybe everyone just needs a break from this and go enjoy the summer, family etc. 

Well said.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

17 minutes ago, Azzy said:

If you want to cut things that narrowly, there's a different style of play when you play Detroit one game and Tampa the next. Between New Jersey and the Islanders. Between Edmonton and Calgary. Quinn will play the same against every opponent so to have someone defensively responsible, who's used to skating backwards on a 2-on-1 and is comfortable with it, that's a key part of keeping Demko's GAA down.

I'd certainly be far more content pairing Poolman with Hughes than Myers with Hughes.

Well chemistry is a weird thing.  Look no further than when we had a pile of injuries and the then head coach (Willie) decided to give increased minutes to the pairing of fairly green players Stecher & Hutton over established NHL vets like Gudbranson.  Maybe the same will happen here (Hughes & Poolman). 

• Cheers 1