The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

8 minutes ago, rekker said:

I see Del Zotto got 2 × 2. Really? Poolman is a steal compared to that.

Could you imagine if Benning signed that deal this season? :lol:

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I was just thinking about his name too.

He has shown he can go from a Poolboy to a full grown Poolman.

I think we can conclude this player knows about developing.

Im sure somebody more creative than I will think up a good nick name.. Wonder what his locker room nick is, Pool or Pooly.. or Man

How anyone can waste more time arguing about this fellows potential I do not know, his nickname potential is off the charts tho, way more pressing items at hand waiting on seeing Q & E ‘s contracts and enjoying summer  :)

• Like 1
  • Hydration 3
11 hours ago, Provost said:

every team spending to the cap like he did over his tenure managed more wins over than he did.

All of them.

11 hours ago, coryberg said:

What does spending to the cap during the rebuild have to do with anything? Was it your money?

Were you hoping that we won more games during the rebuild so we drafted later and have taken Lias Anderson instead of Pettersson or Adam Boquist instead of Hughes? 

Stupid Benning ruined your genius plans and spent your precious money! Now your blind hate makes perfect sense!

3 hours ago, Provost said:

You said that I was dumb for wanting to win more during a rebuild.  I literally posted the opposite

loui-meme (1).png

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
51 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Im sure somebody more creative than I will think up a good nick name.. Wonder what his locker room nick is, Pool or Pooly.. or Man

How anyone can waste more time arguing about this fellows potential I do not know, his nickname potential is off the charts tho, way more pressing items at hand waiting on seeing Q & E ‘s contracts and enjoying summer  :)

I'm going to go with "Swimmer" as a nickname. I base this on the Burt Lancaster film, "The Swimmer" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063663/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_41

regards,  G.

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

That guy was a 13th overall pick.  

I should have added, Poolman's age is a plus in his favor.  A mature *person* is probably has a better chance at being able to adjust.  Look at Jake Virtanen as an example.  Jake needs to grow up some more.

And Quinn Hughes was, what, 7th overall?;)

But I do understand what you’re saying. I’m just “arguing” for argument’s sake at this point!  :lol:

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

<Insert comment about I was talking about Poolman the other day until it got derailed>

First two comments of the thread.

This is all the proof you need to see that AV is only interested in taking shots at the GM more than the player.

Need more proof?

This was literally found in just 5 minutes. This guy has absolutely no intention of talking about Poolman as a player without taking some kind of shot at the GM, which is problematic, considering this isn't a thread about GM Benning's performance in previous free agencies. Does he offer anything insightful about the player? Perhaps some knowledge about the player's performance during the season and playoffs?

One Winnipeg fan said this about Poolman: "But he's actually pretty good when he's appropriately slotted. The hate he received was never justified."

*check thread title*  --> [Signing] - Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

*checks posts*  --> all concerned with the player, all observations and valid opinions about the signing.

I think the only issue here is that you don't agree with them (which is fine) but take those criticisms personally.

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 5
Just now, AV. said:

*check thread title*  --> [Signing] - Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

*checks posts*  --> all concerned with the player, all observations and valid opinions about the signing.

I think the only issue here is that you don't agree with them (which is fine) but take those criticisms personally.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/winnipeg-jets-defense.2804328/

Poolman: Playing very well this year. Good skater. Ideally third pair.

Morrissey just doesn't look comfortable, and I can't explain it. Doesn't matter who is out there. He hasn't had too many dominant games this year. I'd like to see more from him and Poolman, because that's unequivocally our best skating pairing, and of all defensive combinations we have, that is actually the one who has the most games together, which is another part of our defensive struggles at times.

I think we could get more results form having Poolman and Stanley in the lineup, and there is potential for Morrissey-Poolman to be a solid 2nd PK. I honestly think Beaulieu plays better when he fights, but maybe he's been told not to. He's a guy I want on the team, and I think would be professional enough to handle the #7 role well.

As a top 4, there's no superstar, and a couple of guys who are competent there but would be excellent bottom pair guys (amongst the leagues best).

• Poolman: Didn't realize how much this guys game has grown until he was pulled out of the lineup and I saw him come back and play again. He's really great at puck retrievals and using his big body and reach to protect the puck for exits. Great bottom pair option
  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1

(continued)

Below are comments made by posters - not my opinions.

I don't think there is any reason to draw Poolman out of the lineup, so there's a spot for one defenseman, and it's arguable whether that d-man should have an offensive or defensive impact. If we had a stronger defensive impact from Morrissey, I'd say that spot would be Heinola's for the taking, but I'd argue that Stanley's probably the best suited right now to fill that role, as he has the potential to fill both ends. Beaulieu's PKing might make him more valuable however, if you are measuring the overall impact, including special teams, that's a tough call. Samberg is the one most likely to make the jump this year, but he's had the longest layoff and as long as Forbort is playing decent hockey, I'm not sure I'd promote him over Stanley at this point. By midseason once he's gotten up to speed, I think he offers more to his game than Stanley can, because of his better mobility. Starting him on the right side maybe he could replace Poolman, but I wouldn't be racing to do so. Poolman took awhile to process the game, I'm not sure Samberg would offer better results as a raw rookie.

6/7 kind of guy like Beaulieu. Someone whose best suited on a 3rd line.

I disagree and see poolman, Stanley, forbort all better than beaulieu.

----

From these comments, we can probably infer that Poolman is no scrub.

• Hydration 1
  • Wat 1
2 hours ago, rekker said:

This thread is a mess. Let's wait and see what he does on the ice. I always notice Poolman on the ice for the Jets as, "in the way a lot". That's a good thing so lets have it play out. 

Im just really curious what the pro scouts and coaches saw in TP. It could turn out to be a steal. 

1 hour ago, AV. said:

It's probably better to compare Poolman to other defensive-minded RHD, such as Hakanpaa, Savard, Hamonic, etc.  The former is probably the best one to compare, since they're both older players with limited NHL experience.

3x1.5M (left some money on the table, according to reports) vs 4x2.5M (subject to a 12 team bidding war, according to reports).

Hakanpaa, A’s has been pointed out here several times, is more comparable to Luke Schenn than to Poolman.  Poolman is more akin to Chris Tanev.  

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
2 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

"Industry people" does not mean they are people that watch him play.  Jd Burke is a known tool and has some of the worst takes I've seen from the "industry" and Dom is an analytics person and we all know that analytics don't favor Poolman. I doubt either of these 2 have watched Poolman play more than the Winnipeg fanbase. They look at stats and base their opinion on that, not actually watching them play. Just because they are in the "industry" doesn't mean their opinion holds more value then the fans that watch him play every game nor does it mean they know more about the player.

Actually, they are quite literally paid to watch these players play and form analyses as opposed to fans who simply choose to watch players play and interpret what they want.  They may not watch all 82 games a season and examine an individual player under a microscope, but the crux of their job is based on watching these guys play and rendering data after the fact.

Also, I'm really not sure if the last part is serious.  Why have industry opinion and experts if you insist that fans ultimately know more than them?  Many industry opinions and experts have worked in NHL front offices prior to media.  You wouldn't allege that fans are smarter than management people, so why allege here that fans know more than these guys?

• Haha 3
  • RoughGame 2