The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

'analytics' are only as good as the analyst.

oh, and btw....

https://theleafsnation.com/author/domluszczyszyn/

nice to see 18yr old Leaf fans having a go at it - wish him the best in school / Journalism100 - but not my idea of an 'authority' to be appealing to lol (and a logical fallacy regardless of who the alleged 'authority' is).

Agreed. Analytics are flawed in hockey anyways. There's too much going on at once and too many variables. Perhaps analytics will work better in the future, but they're not there yet. You can't judge a player just by their analytics.  There's a reason why GMs like Chayka who do this end up out of a job. 

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

*searches J.D Burke and Dom's twitter accounts* ---> to acquire 'your' opinion.

This. Both of those you mentioned I disregard entirely, as well as Drance. I'll listen to just about anyone else. 

• Hydration 4

36 minutes ago, AV. said:

Here are some industry opinions that I'm sure even you could say likely hold more weight than fans from a message board - the same message board, along with countless other mediums, you've called toxic and a cesspool.  Convenient HF isn't so toxic when you cherry-pick evidence...

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/winnipeg-jets-defense.2804328/page-5

Poolman is massively underrated. Ppl don't like him cuz he's 26 but what I see Is a guy who can move the puck and actually make a pass and 95 percent of the team can actually clear the D zone.. dude really did step up vs Calgary last play Ins and is actually a solid NHL d man.

Stanley been hella sheltered. Beaulieu sucks. Poolman is great value and a solid top 3 RHD.

---

I just really liked Poolmans game since his return. There doesn't seem to be any panic. I thought Stanley struggled a bit on Saturday.

Poolman and Forbort are doing ok. but it's hard for me to imagine the Jets being a real contender with both of them in the top 4

To be fair Morrissey hasn't looked good with De Melo or Poolman either this year.

---

In summary so far, Poolman CAN play top 4, but he's more suited for bottom pairing. Maybe he can work on his game - because players do try to get better during the offseason.

In general, Winnipeg fans seem happy with him as a player and is underrated.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Plenty of fans, including you, seem to think they're smarter than Benning in this thread.

Offering criticism =/= being more qualified.  I am a consumer of this team, however, so I am allowed input.

Not sure why you and countless others confuse this concept.

• RoughGame 4

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

Offering criticism =/= being more qualified.  I am a consumer of this team, however, so I am allowed input.

Not sure why you and countless others confuse this concept.

Any actual thoughts on Poolman based on the descriptions I lifted from HFboards?

Somehow hometown fans who watched Poolman day in and day out can be disregarded by two guys you deemed 'experts'. So what's the point in watching a team? Just read someone's opinion instead....

Edited by Dazzle
  • Hydration 3

11 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Any actual thoughts on Poolman based on the descriptions I lifted from HFboards?

Somehow hometown fans who watched Poolman day in and day out can be disregarded by two guys you deemed 'experts'. So what's the point in watching a team? Just read someone's opinion instead....

I hope he can replicate (here in Vancouver) what those fans noticed.  It doesn't change or invalidate how I feel or how other qualified experts feel about this signing (the term and the price, not the player's ability).

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You can criticize without being obnoxious about it.

Hope this helps.

That's a personal issue on your end.  You're choosing - as a fan and not the player, management, or anyone else - to get personally offended by the framing of my criticisms directed at the management and this signing.  It would be different if I was tagging or taking shots at you or others but I'm not.

We have an ignore function that you're more than welcome to use if simply separating yourself from somebody's criticism is proving too difficult.

Hope this helps.

Edited by AV.
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 3

2 minutes ago, B.C.Renegade69 said:

Fair enough but why don’t you shut down your hate for everything else until he plays? Is it an attention thing? All you do is bash yet NOBODY KNOWS how he will gel with the Canucks. If you are a fan, even though I know you are a laughs fan. Give it time. Or I like to say $&@“ off

Look no further than the fact that AV has nothing to add to this Poolman player. I've directly messaged him twice for his thoughts, and so far, he's only countered with several Twitter quotes.

I just want to demonstrate to the mods that we are trying to discuss the player, even inviting AV to engage in the discussion of Poolman, but as everyone can see, he is not cooperating. That's because he never had any intention of talking about the player.

• Hydration 4
  • Wat 2

32 minutes ago, AV. said:

Actually, they are quite literally paid to watch these players play and form analyses as opposed to fans who simply choose to watch players play and interpret what they want.  They may not watch all 82 games a season and examine an individual player under a microscope, but the crux of their job is based on watching these guys play and rendering data after the fact.

And here I thought they were all (the Canadian ones, at least) paid to watch games, form analyses, and then ignore everything they see and write stuff to fluff up the Leafs and Oilers.

Edited by Kragar
grammar
  • Haha 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, AV. said:

I hope he can replicate (here in Vancouver) what those fans noticed.  It doesn't change or invalidate how I feel or how other qualified experts feel about this signing (the term and the price, not the player's ability).

That's a personal issue on your end.  You're choosing - as a fan and not the player, management, or anyone else - to get personally offended by the framing of my criticisms directed at the management.  It would be different if I was tagging or taking shots at you or others but I'm not.

We have an ignore function that you're than welcome to use if simply separating yourself from somebody's criticism is proving too difficult.

Hope this helps.

Pretty pathetic response, considering the amount of engagement you have had in this thread.

Here are some concerns about Poolman, which are not necessarily deal breakers, but something that Canucks staff have to watch out for.

Drives me crazy that the Jets struggle along with Beaulieu, Poolman and Forbort playing above their capabilities, with two terrific young D playing very well in the AHL.

Last night, Beaulieu was a catastrophe again. Poolman had a couple of really bad plays that led to the Habs' second goal, opening the flood gates. His stretch passes were awful, leading to unnecessary icings and stopping transition. He'd be okay on a third pair, but not a top pair.

I like poolman as a bottom pairing D. Anything higher u are asking for trouble doesn’t mean he’s bad just is what he is.

My thoughts: Sounds like they had a brutal game. It happens.

Another poster said:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/winnipeg-jets-defense.2804328/page-17

Poolman is a good combination of size and speed that only Samberg could potentially replace internally, and Poolman has done well against some good competition, like Mc Jesus. I don't think Gawanke has the defending skills to be a replacement. So that right side is still the biggest issue. Beaulieu's inconsistency being probably the next biggest problem.

What scares me is the Jets are going to go for a guy like Savard, at the expense of Poolman, and our defense will become even slower. Which is an attacking point for any team.

Poolman had a rough game last night but he's been pretty decent for the most part... not quite first pairing talent though

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

That's a personal issue on your end.  You're choosing - as a fan and not the player, management, or anyone else - to get personally offended by the framing of my criticisms directed at the management.  It would be different if I was tagging or taking shots at you or others but I'm not.

We have an ignore function that you're than welcome to use if simply separating yourself from somebody's criticism is proving too difficult.

Hope this helps.

If the Canucks face the Leafs in the Cup, who do you cheer for?  For me I cheer for my team (Canucks) over every other team, and it’s not even close.  So who do you want to win between us and the Leafs?  

• Hydration 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If the Canucks face the Leafs in the Cup, who do you cheer for?  For me I cheer for my team (Canucks) over every other team, and it’s not even close.  So who do you want to win between us and the Leafs?  

The Canucks.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

The fact you refuse to admit it was a rebuild even though you don’t agree with how it was done is very telling. 

You might want to go count how many “own draft picks” all the other teams have on their rosters before thinking that is some sort of irrefutable logic.

We don’t have more of our own draft picks in the lineup than all the other teams, less than many… and actually fewer than in 2013-14 when Benning took over. 

How is that a metric for proving a rebuild when all teams regardless of being contenders, middle of the pack, win-now mode, and bottom of the barrel also have as many or more of their own picks playing on their roster.   Don’t dance around and change the subject like always… answer your own point.  How does not having any different number of own draft picks on the roster than the rest of the league prove we spent the last seven years going a rebuild?

Pretty bad “gotcha” moment if that is the extent of the logic…

That you used that little invented nugget without even bothering to check actual facts is pretty telling…

Seven years into a “rebuild” and we have fewer of our own draft picks on the roster than when he stated, are still a bottom of the barrel team, and once you count Rathbone and Podkolzin as on the roster like you did, we will have one of the worst prospect pools in the league to rival the days when Gaunce was the golden child carrying all our hopes of the future.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1