The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

Maybe… but we paid him more than anyone else was willing to… and more than other guys with similar resumes… so we can all hope our pro scouts or Shaw as a new voice are right on his potential.

They paid about a million dollars more and/or a year or two too long based strictly on his past performance. 

Management’s judgement on pro scouting has certainly earned a healthy level of distrust.  We just paid a top Ten pick and a 2nd round pick to get out from under contracts that were bad calls on their part.  That is possibly another Horvat and another Demko we removed from our Prospect pool based on their bad judgment.

All the other signing seem like pretty good

bets based on past performance and that is good news.  This one is just the one filled with the most risk.  That isn’t just my opinion, that is a pretty common one from folks who get paid to give their opinions and/or have a lot of experience in the game.

Did we not get 2 nhl players for this years lineup in the trade with Arizona?  Draft picks could be better worse or totally bust. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I predict Poolman will be a triple 20 player:

20 Points

20 min/game

plus 20

That's one heck of a valuable player, and why we are headed for a 100+ point season.  

I always want to see Canucks succeed. There’s been one exception to this rule and that was LE. I tried Alf, I really did.

To my point. I want to see this guy knock it out of the park and to do that, what does he need to do? Just be a solid 4th/5th guy for the next 4 years. That’s it, that all. That’s what he’s paid to do. He needs to play to a 2.5 million dollar defencemen. That’s it. 

I can’t believe some people in here. Oh wait yes I can.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

20 Points

20 min/game

plus 20

That's one heck of a valuable player, and why we are headed for a 100+ point season.  

A+ for positivity, the plus 20 is reachable maybe the last 2 years of the contract is he sticks!

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Millerdraft said:

I’d also like to say that if this is the contract with the most risk to it, then we’re looking pretty golden because this contract is not some kind of immovable, buyout proof deal that’s gonna cost us $5m in cap space for five, six years…

Let’s go Poolman!

Exactly 

2.5 mil/year for a 28 year old RHD is really not that hard of a contract to offload if we change our mind. Teams around the league are pretty desperate for RHD just like we were before signing five of them (Poolman, Schenn, Keeper, Hunt and Hamonic). 

26 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Re-watching Poolman in the playoffs. The series winning goal by Tofu,  Pool had his man Suzuki against the boards, but Caulfield beat Copp out of the corner and found Tofu backdoor for the series winner. Pool was on as a primary pk. I liked how he checked Tofu at one point, took him completely out of the play. A couple nice hits. He very much reminds me of a larger framed Tanev. Nice on his skates and good passes. Once he jumped into the crease to cause some chaos in front of Price. It was a nice play. He has very good defensive awareness. Overall I like his calm play, on one defensive breakdown Pool covered for Morrissey nicely, stopping Caulfield from a breakaway. I like how he takes the hits that are there, I like how he took Suzuki i into the corner after the whistle stopping Suzi3 from going into the crease. He skates the puck through traffic calm as well. He's like a beefier Tanev. First goal of the series with Montreal Poolman had his man on the boards thenMorrissey lost track of Koktemi back door. Second goal of the series Poolman was paired with Stanley, but Stanley got out of position trying for a elbow hit in front of Hellybuck. I think Stanley was bumped down after that play. Poolman is a good Tanev comparison, but more physical. And a whole lot cheaper.
 Poolman on the PK will take some pressure off Myers on the right side.
I think the 12 other teams interested in Poolman drove up his price a bit. But RHD are what we needed. 

Great analysis Hairy.  I think Poolman is going to play with Quinn.  He is the Tanev replacement and will cover for him on the defensive side.  OEL will probably play with Myers but could also play with Hamonic.  Hamonic will rotate with Schenn in the lineup.

Poolman is actuallly cheaper than Hamonic and will most likely play bigger minutes so the $2.5 million is insignificant if Poolman can continue his trajectory and play 18-19 minutes a night.  He's younger than both Hamonic and Tanev so the 4 years does not bother me at all.  We are talking about a top 4 RHD here.  Top 4 RHD are in big demand.  That's why 12 teams were after him and the Canucks needed to give him term.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

RD UFA signings listed on Capfriendly as signing one way contracts:

$1M or under = Deangelo, Pysyk, Wideman, all 1yr deals, Bogosian 3 yrs.

$1M - $1.5M  = Hakanpää 3 x 1.5, Osterle 2 x 1.35, Dermott 2 x 1.5 

$2M +             = Cole 1 x 2.9, Poolman 4 x 2.5, Ceci 4 x 3.25, Montour 3 x 3.5, Barrie 3 x 4.5, Goligoski 1 x 5

I haven’t listed Adam Larsson or David Savard who signed or were rumoured to have signed before FA began, or guys like Dougie Hamilton. As you can see it’s not a very large list to choose from.

Whoever was in on Poolman was probably in on Ceci as well.  I believe we got the better player and better defender at a much cheaper price.  The market drove up the price for Ceci as well and Edmonton overpaid for him because of it.

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Maybe… but we paid him more than anyone else was willing to… and more than other guys with similar resumes… so we can all hope our pro scouts or Shaw as a new voice are right on his potential.

They paid about a million dollars more and/or a year or two too long based strictly on his past performance. 

Management’s judgement on pro scouting has certainly earned a healthy level of distrust.  We just paid a top Ten pick and a 2nd round pick to get out from under contracts that were bad calls on their part.  That is possibly another Horvat and another Demko we removed from our Prospect pool based on their bad judgment.

All the other signing seem like pretty good

bets based on past performance and that is good news.  This one is just the one filled with the most risk.  That isn’t just my opinion, that is a pretty common one from folks who get paid to give their opinions and/or have a lot of experience in the game.

It's so easy to critique. 

So for 2.5m, which RD UFA would you have rather signed this summer? 

It'll be interesting to compare that player to Poolman this season. 

I'm not only talking about points. I'm talking about an RD that fits the team needs. Any better options? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

20 Points

20 min/game

plus 20

Sutter is a good locker room guy, perhaps he can also give him his jersey number 20

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

It's so easy to critique. 

So for 2.5m, which RD UFA would you have rather signed this summer? 

It'll be interesting to compare that player to Poolman this season. 

I'm not only talking about points. I'm talking about an RD that fits the team needs. Any better options? 

People are gonna say Hakannpaa, even though he's played half the games of Poolman.

There's always going to be some excuse to badmouth Poolman on the basis of a contract being supposedly overpaid. It's just an endless cycle with no real explanation on the critic's side about the player himself.

• Like 2