The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Danila Klimovich

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I suspect a lot of the teams with late 1sts or early 2nds will regret passing on him.  His ceiling is high and his work ethic should help him reach it.

FWIW, Scouching had him in the 70s, so quite a bit lower in rankings as when Klimovich was picked. I think a lot of it was the lack of intel surrounding this guy in general. However, Benning had personally scouted this guy in Texas at the U18 tournament, and his scouts likely saw the other games in Europe. Just a guess. It's quite uncharacteristic for him to feel so excited about a prospect.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

FWIW, Scouching had him in the 70s, so quite a bit lower in rankings as when Klimovich was picked. I think a lot of it was the lack of intel surrounding this guy in general. However, Benning had personally scouted this guy in Texas at the U18 tournament, and his scouts likely saw the other games in Europe. Just a guess. It's quite uncharacteristic for him to feel so excited about a prospect.

What did Benning say about him?

24 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Exactly. Remember how giddy he was when Hughes fell to us and JB drafted him? I get the same vibe here.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Podz19 said:

What did Benning say about him?

Some comments from here:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/canucks-take-a-big-swing-on-danila-klimovich-at-41st-overall-in-2nd-round-of-the-draft-3982772

Klimovich is a 6’1” forward with a right-hand shot, who is listed at centre but has also played on the wing. He was supposed to play last season in the QMJHL, but chose to stay in Belarus because of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

There’s some serious upside in Klimovich, who spent the bulk of the season piling up points in the Vysshaya Liga, Belarus’s second-tier professional league. He had 28 goals and 52 points in 37 games with Minskie Zubry in the Vysshaya, then 9 goals and 14 points in 12 playoff games.

At the same time, it’s hard to know what to make of that production in a league not known for producing NHL players.

But then he went to the World Under-18 Championship with Belarus and dominated. 

There's quite a lot written about him here, so you can visit the page.

Having look at this video here:

This is what I think:

- While obviously not NHL ready just yet, he has a lot of potential because of his smarts. He's shown to be very opportunistic because he'll attack defenders when they're out of position or off-balance. That's when he'll pounce/drive to the net. That is the type of game he plays. Very uptempo.
- His skating needs some work, but if he gets some superior skating lessons, watch out.
- Has some snarl. Finishes his checks with punishing hits.
- Defensively, he's pretty aware of his surroundings. He doesn't cheat for offense.

Video talked about his shot/stickhandling being above average - and I agree. Obviously it could use more improvement, but he's got a lot to work with.

I only saw about 10 mins of that 22 min clip to make the above observations. However, since Benning watched all his games, I think he was seriously impressed not to trade down, but to get this guy outright.

Edit: I decided to watch more of the clip, and the guy demonstrates a lot of drive. It's Podkolzin-esque. I can totally see why Benning liked this part of his game.

I doubt he'll make the NHL outright, but I think we'll see this guy sooner rather than later. There's a lot to like about this guy. I think the Canucks shouldn't rush him though. If his skating gets an improvement, he's gonna be very very dangerous.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This guy ranked him 53 overall.

Skating is apparently below average, but shooting/stickhandling above average.

I notice that he is able to score given little time and space in crowded areas which is a great strength of his. He will thrive in playoff games where time and space is at a premium.

Just now, PositionOfPower said:

I notice that he is able to score given little time and space in crowded areas which is a great strength of his. He will thrive in playoff games where time and space is at a premium.

Yeah, after seeing this one game, he's a very promising prospect.

• Like 1

Nice strategy JB.  Get him playing in the AHL learning the Canucks system.  Then if he looks NHL ready, bring him up for a few games and burn that first year.  Gets him to group 10.2(c) RFA status so he can't be offersheeted.

::D

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

This guy ranked him 53 overall.

Skating is apparently below average, but shooting/stickhandling above average.

Thanks for the other info...where did you see his skating is below average? The write up in the link below says he has NHL speed. As a big guy he'll never has Quinn Hughes edges so I'm curious where you saw below average

Danila Klimovich - 2021 NHL Draft Prospect Profile (thehockeywriters.com)

Only one quote but there are others

The size, the skills, the hockey sense are all there for him to be an offensive producing player and he’s consistent in his approach. He’s got NHL speed and competes hard. Now, he does have a flair for the dramatic at times, but that’s good. It means he’s confident, but, every shift, he’s first on pucks, always going to the net and he’s got that knack to be open and available to get that shot off. He’s on the top line and is the top scorer and he’s one of the first forwards coming back on the play.” – Dan Marr, director of NHL Central Scouting

I love this quote about him too! 

Klimovich is a highly creative goal scoring forward with an NHL caliber shot and a compete level that is off the charts

Edited by Podz19

19 hours ago, BPA said:

Nice strategy JB.  Get him playing in the AHL learning the Canucks system.  Then if he looks NHL ready, bring him up for a few games and burn that first year.  Gets him to group 10.2(c) RFA status so he can't be offersheeted.

::D

…across town…

Love the fact the Baby Canucks will play an hour away from the Big team.

As per Benning’s interview on SN650, apparently one big reason so many older players who are looking to settle their families a bit while they work between the AHL and the NHL were interested in signing with the Canucks.

Edited by Me_
  • Vintage 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Could you imagine if this kid made it out of camp and gave us that much needed grit on the fourth line?

How is his skating? Almost NHL level?

Straight line top speed he’s very fast.  Sounds like part of his training is running hills.  He’s a very strong kid, but he’s not NHL ready.  Going to be fun to see him in camp.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Straight line top speed he’s very fast.  Sounds like part of his training is running hills.  He’s a very strong kid, but he’s not NHL ready.  Going to be fun to see him in camp.  

The thing about him being in Abby is he could be called up and down as much as they want. Even just to practice with big club.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2