The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Danila Klimovich

7 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

The guy is 6’2 202 lbs and isn’t even 18 yet.  He looks like he has the solid mass to be able to handle a men’s league.  

There is a money component that some aren’t considering and what an AHL salary and signing bonus could mean in Belarus at this moment.  

This guy isn’t a spoiled kid ‘growing up’ in a milk toast suburb of Vancouver or any other rich NA city with holistic wellness centres.  

The QMHL might not be a feasible option for this kid, who may be carrying a lot more responsibility than we know.  

Podz wasn’t sheltered from men in his draft season, why would Klimovich feel any different about the AHL than he would the VHL or KHL.  

Earning minutes has a different meaning depending on where you come from.  

He signed his ELC.  He is getting his signing bonus independent of where he plays - even if in the CHL.  The signing bonus is paid on the 1st 3 years of the ELC.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s my understanding that most Belarusians are completely fluent in Russian, but not all can speak Belarusian.

The way I’ve heard it described is somewhat similar to Ireland and the Irish language.

Speaking Russian in Belarus is like speaking English in Ireland. And speaking Belarusian is somewhat similar to speaking Irish (Irish Gaelic). The majority of Belarusians can probably speak some Belarusian, but fewer can actually read it, and very few can write in Belarusian. On the other hand, nearly every Belarusian is fluent in Russian, and most Belarusians prefer to speak Russian at home, at work, and in the street. Almost all of their media is in Russian, and the vast majority of their books are printed in Russian. Education is also almost entirely in Russian.

(UNESCO even rates Belarusian as a “vulnerable” language. They report only 4 million people on the planet can actually speak Belarusian, despite Belarus having a population of 9.5 million, and there being a diaspora of another 3.5 million Belarusians scattered around the world.)

EDIT: Bringing this back to Klimovich, I’d expect he’ll have no problem conversing in Russian with Podkolzin. Although Danila’s English is actually surprisingly good, so he may choose to speak mostly English with Vasili (who is also getting pretty good at English, and looking to improve), and then maybe they’ll fall back on Russian when needed.

I was not aware of that thanks for filling me in! 
It seems the development and playing styles of their players are similar too if you look at current and past Russian and Belarusian NHLers. What is your opinion on my idea of bringing in a Belarusian for Klimovich in Abbotsford but more importantly a Russian for Podkolzin up here. Podkolzin is the one who’s 80% most likely to be on the team right now. 

2 hours ago, ZH96 said:

What is your opinion on my idea of bringing in a Belarusian for Klimovich in Abbotsford but more importantly a Russian for Podkolzin up here.

Do you mean a player or staff?

I’m generally against the idea of adding a player, especially under the NHL cap, just because they share a cultural background with another player. Players should be signed because of what they can bring on the ice and contribute to the team.

As for staff, I’m all for CSE hiring more people, and I think it would be good to have a wide diversity of staff, including people from shared backgrounds with some of the foreign players, who could help them to acclimate, and just be around certain players, should they start to feel a bit homesick or somewhat alienated.

I think having a Russian on staff when Tryamkin was here would’ve been a good idea, and might have avoided some of the problems.

I’ve always been a believer in teams spending money off-cap to gain any kind of edge possible. And when it comes to top prospects coming from different cultural backgrounds, I think it could be money well spent, just having someone around on staff who can bring a little bit of “home” to a young man’s first taste of life abroad.

On the other hand, it’s also important for these guys to assimilate, and especially, to really start to gel with their teammates. For some people, the best approach is to just throw them in the deep end, and let them find their own way (this can be especially true with learning new languages and cultures). Klimovich and Podkolzin can both already speak English at a decent level conversationally, and they both seem to be confident and outgoing people, and pretty level headed (although Klimovich maybe can be a little unbalanced on the ice), so I’d expect they’ll quickly become “one of the guys” on their teams just by being around the other players, and not necessarily need somebody from their homeland to help them get comfortable in North America.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Do you mean a player or staff?

I’m generally against the idea of adding a player, especially under the NHL cap, just because they share a cultural background with another player. Players should be signed because of what they can bring on the ice and contribute to the team.

As for staff, I’m all for CSE hiring more people, and I think it would be good to have a wide diversity of staff, including people from shared backgrounds with some of the foreign players, who could help them to acclimate, and just be around certain players, should they start to feel a bit homesick or somewhat alienated.

I think having a Russian on staff when Tryamkin was here would’ve been a good idea, and might have avoided some of the problems.

I’ve always been a believer in teams spending money off-cap to gain any kind of edge possible. And when it comes to top prospects coming from different cultural backgrounds, I think it could be money well spent, just having someone around on staff who can bring a little bit of “home” to a young man’s first taste of life abroad.

On the other hand, it’s also important for these guys to assimilate, and especially, to really start to gel with their teammates. For some people, the best approach is to just throw them in the deep end, and let them find their own way (this can be especially true with learning new languages and cultures). Klimovich and Podkolzin can both already speak English at a decent level conversationally, and they both seem to be confident and outgoing people, and pretty level headed (although Klimovich maybe can be a little unbalanced on the ice), so I’d expect they’ll quickly become “one of the guys” on their teams just by being around the other players, and not necessarily need somebody from their homeland to help them get comfortable in North America.  

I agree but I meant a player. And I think it’s important because it shows a young Russian player that you’re very committed to his development and care about him as a person too. With the Russians bolting to the KHL factor always in play and our history of Russians not leaving town on the best note.. doing it right this time would be wise. And I mean the right player for on-ice skillsets as well. Someone like Valeri Nichushkin who plays our style, would upgrade the top nine, and would make a great mentor to Podkolzin and make him feel good coming in from the get go. 

On 8/5/2021 at 2:54 AM, Phat Fingers said:

The guy is 6’2 202 lbs and isn’t even 18 yet.  He looks like he has the solid mass to be able to handle a men’s league.  

There is a money component that some aren’t considering and what an AHL salary and signing bonus could mean in Belarus at this moment.  

This guy isn’t a spoiled kid ‘growing up’ in a milk toast suburb of Vancouver or any other rich NA city with holistic wellness centres.  

The QMHL might not be a feasible option for this kid, who may be carrying a lot more responsibility than we know.  

Podz wasn’t sheltered from men in his draft season, why would Klimovich feel any different about the AHL than he would the VHL or KHL.  

Earning minutes has a different meaning depending on where you come from.  

He's already 18, and he's actually closer to 19 than 18 at this point. January birthday.

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Canucks have signed @Stierlitz as the Ambassador  of Russian-Canadian Cultural Affairs or ARCCA for short if you will.  

I remember the knock on him being more on the mental side of the game, can anyone elaborate on this? Is he considered immature or does he need to learn to think the game better? He seems to have a good attitude, skill and the physical maturity to be in the NHL sooner rather than later so I'm curious as to why we wasn't selected earlier.

2 hours ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Hold ur horses cowboy! I reckon not…but if Iam wrong I deserve a bronco buster !

What's a bronco buster? 

Nvm googled it. 

I think @Alf might volunteer if you need a bronco buster. 

But I wasn't wrong about Tkchuk or Sergachev, I know it was a few years ago but I still remember throwing my coffee at the screen for a reason. Bitter bitter coffee. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Klimovich wasn't even on my radar until his pick was announced.

If he can get his skillset up to NHL standards, he could be another pick that showcases JB's ability to find those diamonds.

Can't wait to see him in the North American game.

I don't think anyone did either. To clarify, he wasn't an unknown because he WAS ranked, but probably not at 40ish. I'm sure many were also surprised how quickly the Canucks signed him to an ELC deal, before anyone else signed their newest prospects.

Having seen some of the footage floating around online, the kid is a gamer. I'm not sure he's NHL ready right now, but the fact is that he plays an aggressive, but responsible game is really unique. He's pursues the puck like Hoglander does, from what it looks like. I don't know about Klimo's skating, but it isn't bad by any means. He's a sniper and declares himself that way. If this guy ever makes the NHL, he's gonna make ppl stand up a lot. I'm pretty confident that's gonna happen, given his skillset and his enthusiasm for the game. I think he probably needs to tone down the flashiness, lol. He's not gonna be able to do some of the stuff he's doing in the big leagues, not all the time anyway, and he might actually turn over the puck too. Part of the growing stage I guess.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I don't think anyone did either. To clarify, he wasn't an unknown because he WAS ranked, but probably not at 40ish. I'm sure many were also surprised how quickly the Canucks signed him to an ELC deal, before anyone else signed their newest prospects.

Having seen some of the footage floating around online, the kid is a gamer. I'm not sure he's NHL ready right now, but the fact is that he plays an aggressive, but responsible game is really unique. He's pursues the puck like Hoglander does, from what it looks like. I don't know about Klimo's skating, but it isn't bad by any means. He's a sniper and declares himself that way. If this guy ever makes the NHL, he's gonna make ppl stand up a lot. I'm pretty confident that's gonna happen, given his skillset and his enthusiasm for the game. I think he probably needs to tone down the flashiness, lol. He's not gonna be able to do some of the stuff he's doing in the big leagues, not all the time anyway, and he might actually turn over the puck too. Part of the growing stage I guess.

I have not coached for years, but one thing that really bugged me was hearing coaches and parents say, the kid tries stupid $hit on the ice, meaning he might flip the puck in the air then go get it, or banking the puck off the back of the net, etc.

IMO, this is what separates the elite from the average, as they were allowed to experiment and develop their own set of skills. (much like Hoglanders lacrosse goals). IMO, these things are dropped once the kid finds it ineffective. Or a coach benches him. 

Personally, it is what is missing from the game to some extent. The CHL, is very cookie cutter these days and coaches are afraid to let players invent. It may not be exactly what you are talking about, but it remined me of a pet peeve. 

I like your comment, so do not take this one personally, as again it just reminded me of one of my pet peeves.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have not coached for years, but one thing that really bugged me was hearing coaches and parents say, the kid tries stupid $hit on the ice, meaning he might flip the puck in the air then go get it, or banking the puck off the back of the net, etc.

IMO, this is what separates the elite from the average, as they were allowed to experiment and develop their own set of skills. (much like Hoglanders lacrosse goals). IMO, these things are dropped once the kid finds it ineffective. Or a coach benches him. 

Personally, it is what is missing from the game to some extent. The CHL, is very cookie cutter these days and coaches are afraid to let players invent. It may not be exactly what you are talking about, but it remined me of a pet peeve. 

I like your comment, so do not take this one personally, as again it just reminded me of one of my pet peeves.

Thanks for your feedback/reflections.

I can definitely remember the saying "Coaching the creativeness out of kids" (or something along the lines). I remember 'boring hockey', where skill was basically forbidden and that everyone had to play a 'meat and potatoes' game.

I agree though with everything that you said.

• Cheers 1