Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Travis Hamonic


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I know a lot of folk are pretty married to the Hughes-Hamonic pairing, but I would be interested in seeing what Hamonic could do on the top pairing with OEL. I think they could compliment each other quite well, and I think Poolman and Hughes could compliment each other pretty well too. 

 

This...

 

OEL- Hamonic

Hughes- Poolman

Rathbone/Juolevi- Myers

 

looks a hell of a lot better to me than this...

 

OEL- Myers

Hughes- Hamonic

Rathbone/Juolevi- Poolman

I like it.

 

Poolman is not exactly a gifted offensive player, but he's got a decent little shot and did make some nice plays in his College days.

If he learns to be a real defensive rock, he might be the best fit style-wise for Quinn. Maybe swap in Luke "No Funny Business" Schenn where required.

Then you've got Hamonic as a steady defense-first guy, allowing OEL to reclaim some of his former glory in the offensive end. They take on the more difficult competition.

Third pair is a cycle of Rathbone and Juolevi with Myers. Could be good for those guys to play with a veteran who does have some offensive instincts. 

 

 

  • Hydration 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, lmm said:

 

Everything from Lord Danky will also be repeated as the gospel truth

 

 

I would get a timeout if I said what I would like to about this post. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I would get a timeout if I said what I would like to about this post. 

Restraint shows strength.

Edited by Cat Man
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How about that Hamonic signing, eh?  

well, since this is the Travis Hamonic thread,

I like Hamonic, good term, good $value, good #4 d-man

good signing

Kind of funny though

we have a discussion about whether we should pair a $3M #4 d-man or a $6m #5 D-man with our new shiney $7+M D-man to cover his defensive mistakes

So, kinda more of the same old, same old signing from the botom in hopes someone outplays their $value and fills the vacant  #1 D spot

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2021 at 10:01 AM, N4ZZY said:

Jeez. Some posters on here never happy. Like literally always finding some kind of fault for everything. 
 

this off season has to be one of the better ones in recent memory for Benning. He’s been aggressive and smart (for the most part - hate the term in Poolman). 

Agree

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fur SHURR Schenn ends up playing mass minutes with Hughes.

 

Hughes moves so much that Schenn doesn’t have to as he moves around the ice more strategically since he knows his limits.

 

Perfect environment for Hughes to thrive.

 

OEL - HAMONIC

 

OEL - MYERS

 

Either way…

 

I wonder… would OEL be strong enough to carry Juolevi on top?

 

OEL - JUOLEVI

HUGHES - SCHENN

MYERS - HAMONIC

 

Juolevi’a got some heavy to him… wouldn’t that be a pleasant surprise…

 

Edited by Me_
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, lmm said:

well, since this is the Travis Hamonic thread,

I like Hamonic, good term, good $value, good #4 d-man

good signing

Kind of funny though

we have a discussion about whether we should pair a $3M #4 d-man or a $6m #5 D-man with our new shiney $7+M D-man to cover his defensive mistakes

So, kinda more of the same old, same old signing from the botom in hopes someone outplays their $value and fills the vacant  #1 D spot

I'm curious, what separates a #3 from a #4 Dman in your eyes? How about a #4 from a #5 or a #5 from a #6?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm curious, what separates a #3 from a #4 Dman in your eyes? How about a #4 from a #5 or a #5 from a #6?

#1 offensively gifted/ defensively excellent, possible Norris candidate/ size/ PK    #2 defensively stallar/size/ PK 

#3 offensively gifted/ defensively sound /size/ PK                                                  #4 defensively sound, may have trouble with high end offences/size? PK

#5 defensively sound/ mentor for #6/ PK                                                  #6 rookie/ sophmore/ has talent but needs help/maturity or older placeholder or PP specialist lacking D skill

 

so Canucks

#1_________                                                                                       #2_________________

#3 Ekman-Larsson                                                                               #4 Hamonic

#5 Myers / Poolman (maybe, I don't actually know much about him)   #6 Juolevi/Rathbone/Hughes

#7 Schenn

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm curious, what separates a #3 from a #4 Dman in your eyes? How about a #4 from a #5 or a #5 from a #6?

Or 

#1 controls play/tempo on O + D                      #2 controls the D /contributes on O / covers for a wondering #1

#3 might be a #1 in waiting                               #4 might be a #2 in waiting

#5 might be a #4 in waiting                               #6 might be young and any of the above in waiting or was and still contributes but is slowing  

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 minutes ago, lmm said:

Or 

#1 controls play/tempo on O + D                      #2 controls the D /contributes on O / covers for a wondering #1

#3 might be a #1 in waiting                               #4 might be a #2 in waiting

#5 might be a #4 in waiting                               #6 might be young and any of the above in waiting or was and still contributes but is slowing  

Yeah, I really buy this line of thinking. Often times figuring figuring out a blueline is more akin to putting together a jigsaw puzzle then it is to simply assigning someone to a position based on an assessment of their value. What if a perceived no 1 Dman performs better better paired with the percieved no 4 than he does with the no 2 or 3?  Does the no 4 then become the no 2? 

 

The key is to find a group of players that compliment each other well, and I don't think that simply assigning a Dman a number based on their percieved value and then structuring your blueline around that is the way to go. 

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

These signing threads remind me of Peter vs the Chicken in family guy.

 

Guys start arguing in one thread and take it through five different threads LOL.

 

GIF by Adult Swim
 

 

Love the signing btw. Solid complete D core can’t complain when Juolevi? and Schenn are extras. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lmm said:

have you seen the way they talk to people that they do not agree with?

 

how you define "positive outlook" would be interesting,

If nagging and bagging and trolling in defense of King Jimmer is your idea of positive, then they are the champs

 

you watch my hockey related posts, ove the next while they will all be accompanied by bags from the faithful.

watch Chuck's too same thing

real beacons of positivity that bunch

It helps if you’re positive about the team!! Jim has done more this year than any other gm….. period. Yes he covered for his mistakes but look at the outcome for $&@“ sakes. Look around the league and see what stupid $&@“ the other gm’s have done. 
  We are in a good place now, relax… 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

These signing threads remind me of Peter vs the Chicken in family guy.

 

Guys start arguing in one thread and take it through five different threads LOL.

 

GIF by Adult Swim
 

 

Love the signing btw. Solid complete D core can’t complain when Juolevi? and Schenn are extras. 

Brother Pete and the Chicken represent all social media.

 

I wish there was an enforceable rule that you can't type what you wouldn't say to someone's face.

 

Maybe a quick burst of 240 v.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lmm said:

Or 

#1 controls play/tempo on O + D                      #2 controls the D /contributes on O / covers for a wondering #1

#3 might be a #1 in waiting                               #4 might be a #2 in waiting

#5 might be a #4 in waiting                               #6 might be young and any of the above in waiting or was and still contributes but is slowing  

Ideal... but expensive 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Me_ said:

Fur SHURR Schenn ends up playing mass minutes with Hughes.

 

Hughes moves so much that Schenn doesn’t have to as he moves around the ice more strategically since he knows his limits.

 

Perfect environment for Hughes to thrive.

 

OEL - HAMONIC

 

OEL - MYERS

 

Either way…

 

I wonder… would OEL be strong enough to carry Juolevi on top?

 

OEL - JUOLEVI

HUGHES - SCHENN

MYERS - HAMONIC

 

Juolevi’a got some heavy to him… wouldn’t that be a pleasant surprise…

 

I could see OEL - Myers taking on the heavies duties and toughest opponents. Hughes and Hamonic the next wave on tougher opposition. Schenn, Juolevi and Rathbone maybe a bit easier tasks.

At least to start the year.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

These signing threads remind me of Peter vs the Chicken in family guy.

 

Guys start arguing in one thread and take it through five different threads LOL.

 

GIF by Adult Swim
 

 

Love the signing btw. Solid complete D core can’t complain when Juolevi? and Schenn are extras. 

Ngl, those fights were actually pretty awesome in terms of choreography. Lol.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...