The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Travis Hamonic

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

image.png.9dc086bc75d8060c98333a027020bf6e.png

Enough said about your objectivity.

You say maybe one line of praise, and the overwhelming sentiment is, as you said in another comment, about you grabbing pitchforks toward Benning.

Biased. Prove me wrong?

What about your objectivity? It’s all benning can’t do any wrong with you , and he’s done plenty wrong . 

• Upvote 2
  • RoughGame 1

10 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Not the be all, but ...

Hughes:

2019/2020    -10

2020/2021    -24

Tanev is an elite defensive defenseman.

That all said.....I love this signing.  Tanev is gone.   Just from the eye test for me, Hamonic played well.  I like him better even than the 5.9 million Schmidt. Good job Jim!  I can't believe I just said that.

To fully analyze the +/- you need to address the forward group the D is paired with, alongside avg TOI, when/where/against who the player is deployed, etc etc.  It’s not an honest analytical stat of an individual’s performance

• Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

image.png.9dc086bc75d8060c98333a027020bf6e.png

Enough said about your objectivity.

You say maybe one line of praise, and the overwhelming sentiment is, as you said in another comment, about you grabbing pitchforks toward Benning.

Biased. Prove me wrong?

He's purely here to whine.  He has zero interest in actual discussion......likely because he can't hold water that way 

• Hydration 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

Hopefully he can be considerably better than he was last year - acknowledging that there are a ton of players whose last season isn't necessarily fair to judge.

Was really hoping this was the one spot we could upgrade upon. 

Serviceable enough - but I'd prefer a one year deal under the circumstances.

1 minute ago, Silky mitts said:

What about your objectivity? It’s all benning can’t do any wrong with you , and he’s done plenty wrong . 

Never said he can't do any wrong.

This offseason is an A grade at minimum, but seeing your comments, looks like you'll never be happy with anything.

• Hydration 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, oldnews said:

Hopefully he can be considerably better than he was last year - acknowledging that there are a ton of players whose last season isn't necessarily fair to judge.

Was really hoping this was the one spot we could upgrade upon. 

Serviceable enough - but I'd prefer a one year deal under the circumstances.

Will the team be in a better position next season to grab a more defined number one righty?

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Will the team be in a better position next season to grab a more defined number one righty?

I don't know-  but I would have preferred to keep that option open.

If Hamonic regains form I suppose that's a tradeable contract.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't know-  but I would have preferred to keep that option open.

If Hamonic regains form I suppose that's a tradeable contract.

Maybe an OEL-Myers pairing rejuvenates Myers value as well.

He'll only have two years left at that point too, so lower risk to any acquiring team.

Move out Myers for return and sign Parayko..?

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I should add - that my take on this is dependent upon him being Hughes partner.

It's possible that either OEL or Poolman wind up playing with Hughes - if that turns out to be the case, then I'd probably wind up more in favour of this deal.  Where Hughes is concerned I was hoping for a bit more mobility - but in fairness to Hamonic, I think he had an awful season last year, so I'm open to giving him another shot - I just thought that his spot was the top priority to upgrade upon.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Maybe an OEL-Myers pairing rejuvenates Myers value as well.

He'll only have two years left at that point too, so lower risk to any acquiring team.

Move out Myers for return and sign Parayko..?

I'm nowhere near as keen on Parayko as most folks here.

It's one thing to look good when you're surrounded by the best blueline in the NHL - which is what StLouis had when they won that cup.

Start shipping pieces out - and I'm not sure Parayko is everything people here were expecting him to be.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I should add - that my take on this is dependent upon him being Hughes partner.

It's possible that either OEL or Poolman wind up playing with Hughes - if that turns out to be the case, then I'd probably wind up more in favour of this deal.  Where Hughes is concerned I was hoping for a bit more mobility - but in fairness to Hamonic, I think he had an awful season last year, so I'm open to giving him another shot - I just thought that his spot was the top priority to upgrade upon.

Fair enough. I thought that once Hamonic came back from his injury, he played top notch. Very solid. 

I didn't think that Benning was going to be able to get a true #1 RHD without using the 9OA or some package of roster players. There isn't really anyone in free agency that screams #1 RHD to me at least. 

• Hydration 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

It's one thing to look good when you're surrounded by the best blueline in the NHL - which is what StLouis had when they won that cup.

Start shipping pieces out - and I'm not sure Parayko is everything people here were expecting him to be.

Who is?

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

He's a solid #2. Do people think he's more than that? Some probably. Still be an upgrade on Myers.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough. I thought that once Hamonic came back from his injury, he played top notch. Very solid. 

I didn't think that Benning was going to be able to get a true #1 RHD without using the 9OA or some package of roster players. There isn't really anyone in free agency that screams #1 RHD to me at least. 

I agree that the market for a Hughes partner didn't quite pan out as hoped - none of the guys I wanted went anywhere, they all stayed with their teams.

I also think that the Hughes Hamonic pairing is likely to look better by simple virtue of how piecework and depleted the roster was for large stretches last season - playing with some more complete forward units will help them as well.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's a solid #2. Do people think he's more than that? Some probably.

that's a meaningless statement to me - oneliner - that doesn't really scratch the surface of the point - but it's an off topic discussion I don't really care to have here