The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jaroslav Halak

1 minute ago, on the cycle said:

I know but it doesn't cover the cap charges for next year.

And?

Have we ever failed to ice a team? People were fretting about cap this year too. How has that worked out? They'll make it work.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

I know but it doesn't cover the cap charges for next year.

$1.5mil is not exactly that difficult to bring under the cap given we're not even talking about this year.

Chill dude. We have an entire year to figure that out. :)

• Cheers 3

I know everyone's been hot on Halak but I do worry he's getting older, 36 now going 37 so let's just hope he's got another decent 20 games in the bag. Ideally he'd play 30 games in a busy schedule and win 18-20+ of them.

Great cap hit as well, hats off to JB for this one because you know Halak would have been well looked into by other teams.

The Canucks make it official:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed goaltender Jaroslav Halak to a one-year contract that includes $1.5 million in salary and $1.5 million in performance bonus eligibility.

Halak, 36, appeared in 19 games for the Bruins last season including 17 starts, posting a 9-6-4 record to go along with a 2.53 goals-against average and .905 save percentage.

The 5'11", 185-pound netminder is a two-time winner of the William M. Jennings Trophy (2012, 2020). He has played 539 career games over 15 NHL seasons split between Montreal, St. Louis, Washington, N.Y. Islanders, and Boston, registering a 281-173-62 record and a career 2.48 goals-against average. Since making his NHL debut in 2006.07, Halak ranks tied for fifth among all goaltenders with 52 shutouts.

Halak has also made 39 NHL postseason appearances, posting a 17-20 record alongside a 2.48 goals-against average and .919 save percentage. His playoff highlights include backstopping the Montreal Canadiens to 2010 Eastern Conference Final and helping the Bruins reach game seven of the 2019 Stanley Cup Final.

A native of Bratislava, Slovakia, Halak has represented Slovakia numerous times, bookmarked by a silver medal at the 2003 IIHF World Under-18 Championships and a fourth-place finish at the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver.

Halak was originally selected by Montreal in the ninth round, 271st overall in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-sign-goaltender-jaroslav-halak/c-325846788

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know everyone's been hot on Halak but I do worry he's getting older, 36 now going 37 so let's just hope he's got another decent 20 games in the bag. Ideally he'd play 30 games in a busy schedule and win 18-20+ of them.

Great cap hit as well, hats off to JB for this one because you know Halak would have been well looked into by other teams.

Ideally he gets hurt and only plays 9 regular season games, saving us 1.25m against the cap...kidding!

all but guaranteed Halak gets 3m and has a full NMC in the deal as well

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 2

7 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

A desperate cry for attention from an irrelevant media shill. If Halak plays well….it’s bad news. Okie dokie.

And who says we don't have space to pay those bonuses this year?

Never mind that MDP will likely only cost around $1m.

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

$1.5mil is not exactly that difficult to bring under the cap given we're not even talking about this year.

Chill dude. We have an entire year to figure that out. :)

Not really freaking out just saying that it's not ideal when Boesers' contract is up. You can only kick the can down the road so many times.

7 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

Not really freaking out just saying that it's not ideal when Boesers' contract is up. You can only kick the can down the road so many times.

I guess I just don't really understand what can we're kicking down the road in this case.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

So Benning can multi task after all.

What a surprise.

Look, a GM that learns from his mistakes! Suck it anti-Benning

Seriously I wish a company took me on and paid me millions to fail for 7 years, to then finally figure out how to do my job, must be nice :lol:

• RoughGame 7

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

And who says we don't have space to pay those bonuses this year?

How do the bonuses work, capwise?  Do we have flexibility what year they apply to, so that if (when) we get some cap room due to injury, we can apply some/all to 21/22 and whatever is left to 22/23?