The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Stars sign Braden Holtby

Honestly I think he did all he could this year but the awful team play led to his terrible numbers.

I actually admired when he called out this team mid season this past year. It showed that he cared and wanted to win despite already having had all that success in Washington.

That being said, Dallas should be a fun go for him. The market is chill and it's a fun city.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Benning did Holtby a solid by buying him out yesterday...it gave Holtby the opportunity to make the most of UFA flexibility on day 1.  Well-deserved for Holtby, who, in spite of mediocre play, appeared to be a great teammate and super guy.

Dhaliwal and Donnie who were lamenting the bad "optics" of the buy out yesterday should be extolling the goodwill extended by Benning to Holtby. 

Great couple of days for Benning and the Canucks, and Braden Holtby.  Wish Holtby great success in Dallas, except when playing the Canucks.

Well... what else did you expect JB to do?? He got no takers in trades...  so I don't understand why you think JB did Holtby a favour... he did the team favours by cutting loses early to reclaim more cap space!

I'm rooting for him, I hope he does well. I really wanted us to sign him last offseason, and was excited when we did. Thought he'd be a great guy to have behind Demko. And you know, who knows? Having a guy who's been to the top of the mountain and won a Vezina likely had value on some level for Demko. If Covid hadn't happened and the season hadn't been such a train wreck his numbers would likely have looked better, because we left him out to dry a fair bit. 

Still one of my faves. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Well... what else did you expect JB to do?? He got no takers in trades...  so I don't understand why you think JB did Holtby a favour... he did the team favours by cutting loses early to reclaim more cap space!

You dont know if he had trades or not. JB did him a favor by letting him sign where ever he wanted, at whatever price he wanted. For all we know, he extended the good will because free agents would judge how the Nucks handled the situation.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

I agree with you on this

Canucks did him a favour in paying him $6 million as Holtby only able to sign $2million just one year later (so $2 million overpayment for what he provided)?

(If anything it would be Aquaman  doing him a favour, because it is his money being used)- but it was finances and wanting to get cash to buy, that dictated this move

If they are paying Holtby $2 million each each year TO NOT PLAY for 2 yrs , while feeling they overpaid him just last year at $6 miliion , they must feel they are ahead of the game signing another goalie for $2 million  and save money and getting a better stopper?

On 7/29/2021 at 2:11 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So? If I understand correct...

Holtby will earn $200,000 more this year being bought out than having stayed here? Albeit some of the earnings will be offset until next year.  

Not a bad gig, no matter how you look at it!

On 7/28/2021 at 9:20 AM, bigbadcanucks said:

Benning did Holtby a solid by buying him out yesterday...it gave Holtby the opportunity to make the most of UFA flexibility on day 1.  Well-deserved for Holtby, who, in spite of mediocre play, appeared to be a great teammate and super guy.

Dhaliwal and Donnie who were lamenting the bad "optics" of the buy out yesterday should be extolling the goodwill extended by Benning to Holtby. 

Great couple of days for Benning and the Canucks, and Braden Holtby.  Wish Holtby great success in Dallas, except when playing the Canucks.

Yep... holtby gets paid out 3.8 million by the Canucks and gets paid 2 million by Dallas. He will actually make $100,000 more and save big on taxes in Dallas. He lucked out.

Edit: posted before reading the entire thread... redundant.

Edited by coryberg

• 2 months later...