The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Brady Keeper

19 hours ago, nux_win said:

Good point.  Toughness is about team toughness.  Everybody has to have everybody else's back.   It can't be up to one or two designated tough guys to take on all the rough stuff.  But that said we need more guys with a bit of pushback and I'm rooting for him to make the team.  It's a nice story to see a guy from a small town in the north to make the big show.  Go Keeper Go!

Absolutely.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

that might, in part be true (regarding 'loving it')  - might not be - only they know the extent to which it is - I don't pretend to speak for them, but I've heard and read the testimony of plenty of NHL enforcers that were pushed and coerced into it, and who did not necessarily 'love' it  - if you have a quote from either of them to the effect you're claiming, great - otherwise you're just taking the liberty of speaking for them - but really - it's not really the point, regardless.

And the point you make about never sniffing NHL ice otherwise is only true of some of these guys (both Ferland and Dorsett were NHLers whether or not they punched faces imo) - but again, that being the only track to the NHL for some others doesn't really qualify that these guys necessarily 'loved it'.

Ferland and Dorsett didn't have to fight per se but the way they approached the game, fights were going to happen.  I def don't speak on behalf of anyone that made the bigs.

1 hour ago, Bell said:

Ferland and Dorsett didn't have to fight per se but the way they approached the game, fights were going to happen.  I def don't speak on behalf of anyone that made the bigs.

yeah - no doubt - and as I mentioned with a player like Keeper, the point isn't to suggest taking the warrior out of the warrior - it's more the point that @nux_win made - that you can't have one or two of these guys carrying the toughness of a team any longer.  Neither Ferland nor Dorsett's career lasted - they both had them cut short - as do most players that fulfill these roles.   I hope they have quality of life after the game - and I'd hope you see a change in the way teams approach toughness as a whole / not simply a designated 'stand up' guy or two.