The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Luke Schenn

17 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Love Schenn - but he's just not mobile enough for that role - otherwise a solid stay-at-home guy - but with Hughes opening up so much ice, I really think he needs as mobile a partner as possible (would prefer an upgrade on Hamonic in that sense).

For that reason, I think Poolman is a more likely guy to step up and play with Hughes if Hamonic and him struggle, or Hamonic gets injured, etc - one of the reasons I like the Poolman signing - he brings size, grit, stay-at-home qualities while also being a good skater.

But regarding this deal and all the noise around contracts (ie Poolman vs Hakanpaa) I can't resist pointing out that Schenn's deal is so much cheaper than Hakanpaa's:lol: - and I'd consider those two more 'comparable'.

Curious. Who, to you, in the NHL would make Hughes ideal partner? Regardless of contract or where they play now. 

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Curious. Who, to you, in the NHL would make Hughes ideal partner? Regardless of contract or where they play now. 

Tanev, really, was the ideal guy for Hughes.  Exceptional skater, cerebral but with solid instincts.  I honestly think if breezer can elevate his game, his style of play would compliment Hughes well.  I would consider Woo a good choice as well

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Tanev, really, was the ideal guy for Hughes.  Exceptional skater, cerebral but with solid instincts.  I honestly think if breezer can elevate his game, his style of play would compliment Hughes well.  I would consider Woo a good choice as well

Out of all the players in the league? Tanev was the ideal defensive partner for Hughes?

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Out of all the players in the league? Tanev was the ideal defensive partner for Hughes?

He's the ideal style, imo.  Whether it's tanev or another player of that style.  I'd probably put poolman in that similar style too.  As was previously mentioned, QH really needs to be paired with a partner who can both skate and think at a high level.  You have to be able to anticipate what Hughes is going to do and cover.  When he can't cover he's got to be able to skate well enough to recover.  Tanev covered both those bases....... unfortunately he isn't consistently healthy enough

• Vintage 2

29 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

well I've wanted Scott Mayfield for a long time (actually about 6 years - identified as a very good uptick target in fantasy hockey long ago even if he's not necessarily 'fantasy' hockey material).  His indicators were early and strong imo.

He has one of, if not the best contract in the NHL imo.   He's big, relatively mean, he can skate, he has solid defensive awareness - and he's been a relatively proven partner alongside a puck mover.  I was hoping that the depth of the Islanders on the right side might make him a possible acquisition but he's simply upticked so much that he appears to have become a borderline untouchable, all things considered (particularly in terms of cap value).

So that sailed before the opportunity was seized - and in fairness to our management group - the movement around the e.d. was considerably less than anticipated, and the 'frenzy' around spending has resumed more quickly than I anticipated.  The market hasn't been particularly 'predictable' imo.

Another guy I wanted in the past was Cernak (another guy I drafted in fantasy hockey) - needless to say, way too late.

Cal Foote was a young two way defenseman I wanted - thought the expansion draft might provide an opportunity there as well - Tampa imo has schmeagled there way through a couple offseasons now, paying considerably less price in the process than anticipated (while another 'rich' GM, Sakic, on the other hand, hasn't exactly...)

When Savard was a relatively unattractive contract in Columbus, he was another guy I wanted - but then they moved/dumped him for Lashoff / a 4th round pick...and he got SCChampionship exposure - went from stealth take to one of the primary targets in this free agency, hand-picking his dream Habs destination.

Not that big a deal, because I didn't consider him the 'longer term' option that I think a few other guys could have been.

I've also always like Connor Timmins hockey intelligence - not as heavy an option as the guys above, but what you give up in heaviness sometimes you can gain in mobility....

Really - my first option of all though - was to re-sign Tanev over and above any of the other expiring contracts at the time - because I did not think replacing what he brought for Hughes was going to be an easy task - and finding a two way replacement for Hughes in no way would have made what he brings 'redudant' - we still have other young LHD like Juolevi and Rathbone to find supporting partners for.  In hindsight - I'd happily give him the extra year and 1.5 over what we've committed to Hamonic (but that's not simply hindsight - my position at the time was to prioritize Tanev over Markstrom, Toffoli - at a time when RHD futures was - and remains, a principal organizational need).

There are of course some other options out there that could also work - but that market is not the easiest to accomplish things (it's like shopping for two-way centers - I may have had Couturier on my shopping list since the days I wanted to move on from Kesler, but making shopping lists is far easier than convincing GMs to part with assets that have uptick written all over them).

One thing I do like about the Hamonic deal - it's still only placeholder length (even if a year longer than I like) - in the end, perhaps Woo becomes that guy - (or even Keeper, who knows).

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Agree with you on Brisebois. So glad he's still with us. He's only 24 and his game is still maturing. Timing could be really good for him at 26 in our new window a couple years from now. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

We have 3 players that could or would be exceptional partnering D men for Hughes.

Hamonic looked great with him last year.

Poolman may prove to be the better.… 

and let’s not forget that Schenn was drafted high enough because of his smarts as well as his play.  Never got set up properly himself in Toronto..  of course the Leafs sometimes think pedigree or high pick mean no time is needed for Development.

That was unfortunate for Luke to go through..

but perhaps that’s a strong point of understanding for him to match well with Hughes..  or Rathbone.

He brings a level of protection others we have , or have had could not.

Tanev especially could not, nor Edler.

IF Schenn was given the pairing with Hughes,

look at the high potential of the other pairings that exist between 

Myers Hamonic Rathbone Poolman..

btw,.  I’m looking forward to seeing Jet Woo have an outstanding camp, as well as Breisbois, and perhaps put the bump on OJ.

• Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Never should have gotten rid of him. Love the way this guy plays. 

Really wished we had him as our bottom pairing guy and I'm super glad he's back. :)

we didnt, he chose tampa.

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I'm quite sure the Canucks never offered him anything and he ended up a free agent, no? 

My recollection is that we did and at the stage of his career and the chance to make similar money on a contending team he took that.

No hard feelings though.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Where does it say in there that he was offered anything by the Canucks? It says he could re-sign but it doesn't say he was offered something. 

from that article

Schenn said Vancouver offered him a one-year deal to stay, but he couldn’t pass up the chance to go to Tampa Bay

• Vintage 1