Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Where does it say in there that he was offered anything by the Canucks? It says he could re-sign but it doesn't say he was offered something. 

from that article

 

Schenn said Vancouver offered him a one-year deal to stay, but he couldn’t pass up the chance to go to Tampa Bay

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, oldnews said:

well I've wanted Scott Mayfield for a long time (actually about 6 years - identified as a very good uptick target in fantasy hockey long ago even if he's not necessarily 'fantasy' hockey material).  His indicators were early and strong imo.

 

He has one of, if not the best contract in the NHL imo.   He's big, relatively mean, he can skate, he has solid defensive awareness - and he's been a relatively proven partner alongside a puck mover.  I was hoping that the depth of the Islanders on the right side might make him a possible acquisition but he's simply upticked so much that he appears to have become a borderline untouchable, all things considered (particularly in terms of cap value).

 

So that sailed before the opportunity was seized - and in fairness to our management group - the movement around the e.d. was considerably less than anticipated, and the 'frenzy' around spending has resumed more quickly than I anticipated.  The market hasn't been particularly 'predictable' imo.

 

Another guy I wanted in the past was Cernak (another guy I drafted in fantasy hockey) - needless to say, way too late.

Cal Foote was a young two way defenseman I wanted - thought the expansion draft might provide an opportunity there as well - Tampa imo has schmeagled there way through a couple offseasons now, paying considerably less price in the process than anticipated (while another 'rich' GM, Sakic, on the other hand, hasn't exactly...)

 

When Savard was a relatively unattractive contract in Columbus, he was another guy I wanted - but then they moved/dumped him for Lashoff / a 4th round pick...and he got SCChampionship exposure - went from stealth take to one of the primary targets in this free agency, hand-picking his dream Habs destination.

Not that big a deal, because I didn't consider him the 'longer term' option that I think a few other guys could have been.

 

I've also always like Connor Timmins hockey intelligence - not as heavy an option as the guys above, but what you give up in heaviness sometimes you can gain in mobility....

 

Really - my first option of all though - was to re-sign Tanev over and above any of the other expiring contracts at the time - because I did not think replacing what he brought for Hughes was going to be an easy task - and finding a two way replacement for Hughes in no way would have made what he brings 'redudant' - we still have other young LHD like Juolevi and Rathbone to find supporting partners for.  In hindsight - I'd happily give him the extra year and 1.5 over what we've committed to Hamonic (but that's not simply hindsight - my position at the time was to prioritize Tanev over Markstrom, Toffoli - at a time when RHD futures was - and remains, a principal organizational need).

 

There are of course some other options out there that could also work - but that market is not the easiest to accomplish things (it's like shopping for two-way centers - I may have had Couturier on my shopping list since the days I wanted to move on from Kesler, but making shopping lists is far easier than convincing GMs to part with assets that have uptick written all over them).

 

One thing I do like about the Hamonic deal - it's still only placeholder length (even if a year longer than I like) - in the end, perhaps Woo becomes that guy - (or even Keeper, who knows).

 

 

Unrealistically: Adam Fox, Pietrangelo, Hamilton, Ekblad.

 

Realistically: Larsson, Savard, DeMelo, Tanev, Jensen

 

Larsson actually would have been an incredible signing, even at 5 million he would have brought far better value than Hamonic and Poolman 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Unrealistically: Adam Fox, Pietrangelo, Hamilton, Ekblad.

 

Realistically: Larsson, Savard, DeMelo, Tanev, Jensen

 

Larsson actually would have been an incredible signing, even at 5 million he would have brought far better value than Hamonic and Poolman 

That is definitely a valid concern.  We need a guy who can play a complementary role on a top pairing with either Quinn to help defensively  or OEL to create a Pk and hard minute duo.

 

Would we have been better off with a higher end guy for that and then living with Schenn for the 3rd pairing?  We have more depth but less higher end talent on D.
 

I guess time will tell, but I am not sure we have a pairing that the coach can throw out there with confidence to shut down other teams or to steady things when they are going off the rails.  I guess an OEL-Myers duo may be the best we have.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is definitely a valid concern.  We need a guy who can play a complementary role on a top pairing with either Quinn to help defensively  or OEL to create a Pk and hard minute duo.

 

Would we have been better off with a higher end guy for that and then living with Schenn for the 3rd pairing?  We have more depth but less higher end talent on D.
 

I guess time will tell, but I am not sure we have a pairing that the coach can throw out there with confidence to shut down other teams or to steady things when they are going off the rails.  I guess an OEL-Myers duo may be the best we have.

 

 

 

Brad Shaw will figure things out. What he's done in both Columbus and St. Louis is as impressive as any defensive coach in the league. If this defense isn't malleable enough for Shaw, something will have to change. 

 

I'm assuming that he would have had a hand in the signings this week.

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Provost said:

That is definitely a valid concern.  We need a guy who can play a complementary role on a top pairing with either Quinn to help defensively  or OEL to create a Pk and hard minute duo.

 

Would we have been better off with a higher end guy for that and then living with Schenn for the 3rd pairing?  We have more depth but less higher end talent on D.
 

I guess time will tell, but I am not sure we have a pairing that the coach can throw out there with confidence to shut down other teams or to steady things when they are going off the rails.  I guess an OEL-Myers duo may be the best we have.

 

 

 

I actually like the depth guys. Schenn, Hunt, Keeper, Burroughs. If it weren’t for the contract there is a good chance one of them could play Poolman out of a spot, especially Schenn and Hunt. 
 

We don’t really have anyone good defensively 5 on 5. Hamonic is a good penalty killer but otherwise better offensively 5 on 5. Myers and Hughes are pure offensive players, and OEL has struggled defensively. Poolman and Schenn are just depth guys - so we don’t have anyone who can step up and shut down.

 

My guess to your point is OEL and Myers who will likely get eaten alive unfortunately 
 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, canucklehead44 said:

I actually like the depth guys. Schenn, Hunt, Keeper, Burroughs. If it weren’t for the contract there is a good chance one of them could play Poolman out of a spot, especially Schenn and Hunt. 
 

We don’t really have anyone good defensively 5 on 5. Hamonic is a good penalty killer but otherwise better offensively 5 on 5. Myers and Hughes are pure offensive players, and OEL has struggled defensively. Poolman and Schenn are just depth guys - so we don’t have anyone who can step up and shut down.

 

My guess to your point is OEL and Myers who will likely get eaten alive unfortunately 
 

 

That was my point actually.

 

$4-5 million on a legit top 4 guy and then one of the depth guys could have been a better answer than two slightly higher end guys in Hamonic and Poolman for the same cap hit.

 

I hope Hamonic and Poolman can cover the extra responsibility as a consistent hard minute top 4, but that is a serious question mark to

me.

 

That 3rd pair RD could be a sheltered spot for a cheaper depth guy if we had a better top 4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

from that article

 

Schenn said Vancouver offered him a one-year deal to stay, but he couldn’t pass up the chance to go to Tampa Bay

pretty easy choice - to go win a cup or placehold on a transitioning team.

I'm glad he had such a good showing to end his season here - probably had an impact on his ability to go provide depth to a team like Tampa

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I actually like the depth guys. Schenn, Hunt, Keeper, Burroughs. If it weren’t for the contract there is a good chance one of them could play Poolman out of a spot, especially Schenn and Hunt. 
 

We don’t really have anyone good defensively 5 on 5. Hamonic is a good penalty killer but otherwise better offensively 5 on 5. Myers and Hughes are pure offensive players, and OEL has struggled defensively. Poolman and Schenn are just depth guys - so we don’t have anyone who can step up and shut down.

 

My guess to your point is OEL and Myers who will likely get eaten alive unfortunately 
 

 

I'm just hoping our new defense coach is able to work out the kinks with these two. I feel they are both quality defenseman with some holes in their game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The Listening said:

I'm just hoping our new defense coach is able to work out the kinks with these two. I feel they are both quality defenseman with some holes in their game. 

What he's done with St. Louis and Columbus should give him the tools to help with Vancouver's defense. Sure, there is no Pietrangelo, Parayko, Werenski on the Canucks roster, but there are quality defensemen (as you've already mentioned) that need a smarter, more flexible, and more punishing (to the opposition) set of systems in place to make the defense more cohesive and less porous. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Unrealistically: Adam Fox, Pietrangelo, Hamilton, Ekblad.

 

Realistically: Larsson, Savard, DeMelo, Tanev, Jensen

 

Larsson actually would have been an incredible signing, even at 5 million he would have brought far better value than Hamonic and Poolman 

The unrealistic options are unrealistic imo for more reasons than simply 'acquirability'.

Fox isn't realistic - he's a 22 yr old, 181lbs - good two way defenseman but undersized and plays with Ryan Lindgren - I don't see him as a partner for Hughes unless this team had a more veteran remainder of their blueline, with a different makeup as well.

Hamilton - whether or not there'd be a willingness to give him the absurd contract he got - he's never been the 'foundation' partner on a pairing - always played with Norris quality partners - has improved a bit off the puck but nevertheless not a pairing I'd want to see.

Yeah - AP and Ekblad - are unrealistic for sure - AP may have hit free agency, but it's rare that guys like those two are dealt or not re-signed...

Larsson should go in the 'unrealistic' category because he was off the market before fa and never really available.

Savard - already addressed him - I'm not concerned about missing out on him - it leaves this task open and ideally we find a longer term solution.

DeMelo - good tweener imo, good skater, good puck mover, good penalty killer - nothing that stands out as a must have - but imo comparable to Poolman - a 3 million cap hit - and not sure I'd put him in a class with the rest of the guys on those wishlists.

Tanev - enough said - I wanted to re-sign him and wouldn't have regretted - in hindsight - if we had (although if they then missed the opportunity to land one of the younger guys I named in my last post, I may have second-guessed re-signing him.

Jensen - is a somewhat stealth option (that not a lot of people know) - perhaps comparable to what you'd get with DeMelo - good defensive and penalty killing D - and has 2 x 2.5 remaining on his contract (at 30 yrs / near 31).  He'd be a placeholder essentially - that would cost assets - but what I'd like about Jensen is how great a skater he is - something I'd like to see with Hughes (would not only put a lot of pressure on opponents, but also give that recovery ability against transition - when Hughes takes the risks he does).

If I could 'order' a prospect in an upcoming draft - a right handed Bret Hedican would be on my wishlist.

 

 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldnews said:

The unrealistic options are unrealistic imo for more reasons than simply 'acquirability'.

Fox isn't realistic - he's a 22 yr old, 181lbs - good two way defenseman but undersized and plays with Ryan Lindgren - I don't see him as a partner for Hughes unless this team had a more veteran remainder of their blueline, with a different makeup as well.

Hamilton - whether or not there'd be a willingness to give him the absurd contract he got - he's never been the 'foundation' partner on a pairing - always played with Norris quality partners - has improved a bit off the puck but nevertheless not a pairing I'd want to see.

Yeah - AP and Ekblad - are unrealistic for sure - AP may have hit free agency, but it's rare that guys like those two are dealt or not re-signed...

Larsson should go in the 'unrealistic' category because he was off the market before fa and never really available.

Savard - already addressed him - I'm not concerned about missing out on him - it leaves this task open and ideally we find a longer term solution.

DeMelo - good tweener imo, good skater, good puck mover, good penalty killer - nothing that stands out as a must have - but imo comparable to Poolman - a 3 million cap hit - and not sure I'd put him in a class with the rest of the guys on those wishlists.

Tanev - enough said - I wanted to re-sign him and wouldn't have regretted - in hindsight - if we had (although if they then missed the opportunity to land one of the younger guys I named in my last post, I may have second-guessed re-signing him.

Jensen - is a somewhat stealth option (that not a lot of people know) - perhaps comparable to what you'd get with DeMelo - good defensive and penalty killing D - and has 2 x 2.5 remaining on his contract (at 30 yrs / near 31).  He'd be a placeholder essentially - that would cost assets - but what I'd like about Jensen is how great a skater he is - something I'd like to see with Hughes (would not only put a lot of pressure on opponents, but also give that recovery ability against transition - when Hughes takes the risks he does).

If I could 'order' a prospect in an upcoming draft - a right handed Bret Hedican would be on my wishlist.

 

 

That's a lot of words for "we can't afford it"

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Listening said:

That's a lot of words for "we can't afford it"

we can/could have afforded anyone in the 'realistic' category imo (although some would cost assets).

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Provost said:

That is definitely a valid concern.  We need a guy who can play a complementary role on a top pairing with either Quinn to help defensively  or OEL to create a Pk and hard minute duo.

 

Would we have been better off with a higher end guy for that and then living with Schenn for the 3rd pairing?  We have more depth but less higher end talent on D.
 

I guess time will tell, but I am not sure we have a pairing that the coach can throw out there with confidence to shut down other teams or to steady things when they are going off the rails.  I guess an OEL-Myers duo may be the best we have.

 

 

 

If one of Poolman, Hamonic or Schenn can provide stability alongside of Hughes I think it would help a lot. In his first year, Hughes ability to retrieve and move the puck killed opposing teams attack… this last year we didn’t see that so much. Perhaps that’s a partner issue, perhaps that’s teams gunning for him a bit more… probably a bit of both. 
 

that being said… as it stands OEL and Meyers looks like the most probably option and that may not work out so well. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I actually like the depth guys. Schenn, Hunt, Keeper, Burroughs. If it weren’t for the contract there is a good chance one of them could play Poolman out of a spot, especially Schenn and Hunt. 
 

We don’t really have anyone good defensively 5 on 5. Hamonic is a good penalty killer but otherwise better offensively 5 on 5. Myers and Hughes are pure offensive players, and OEL has struggled defensively. Poolman and Schenn are just depth guys - so we don’t have anyone who can step up and shut down.

 

My guess to your point is OEL and Myers who will likely get eaten alive unfortunately 
 

 

I don’t think it’s fair (or correct) to call Poolman a depth guy. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I don’t think it’s fair (or correct) to call Poolman a depth guy. 

To some fans McDavid in Vancouver is a depth guy. For the sole purpose that Horvat and Pettersson were drafted by our team.

 

Ok I exaggerate. McDavid should play LW to Pettersson is more like it.

 

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Unrealistically: Adam Fox, Pietrangelo, Hamilton, Ekblad.

 

Realistically: Larsson, Savard, DeMelo, Tanev, Jensen

 

Larsson actually would have been an incredible signing, even at 5 million he would have brought far better value than Hamonic and Poolman 

You're trading 'brand name' for depth. Realistically, all the Canucks needed were players who could tidy up the defensive zone. That's it. Hughes/OEL can do their own thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...