Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kings sign Phillip Danault


Recommended Posts

It’s an overpayment no doubt about it. Defensive specialist shouldn’t be making 5.5. Hell of a player I get that but.. 

 

Big Loss for Montreal. Overpayment for LA imo if that makes sense lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

I have to say that Sutter produced half the points as Danault, for my correction. But my point that he's more overpaid than Sutter - and he actually had better years.

You don’t pay Danault for his points. You pay him for the points that other teams star players don’t get when he’s on the ice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, qwijibo said:

You don’t pay Danault for his points. You pay him for the points that other teams star players don’t get when he’s on the ice. 

He's 5.5 mill, bro. No matter how you slice it, this is a steep price that Vancouver just should not be involved in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The Habs have a challenge to go to the market for a much needed guy to support Suzuki/Kotkaniemi...

Maybe they’re convinced the Evans and Poehling are ready to carry the mail in the bottom 6.  They also picked up Paquette.  But yeah.  Hopefully they get someone a bit better 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Habs are done.  They finish sixth in their division.  That horrid person they have for a ?GM doesn’t last till Christmas.  They had to keep Danault.  He’s their best forward, if not player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Habs are done.  They finish sixth in their division.  That horrid person they have for a ?GM doesn’t last till Christmas.  They had to keep Danault.  He’s their best forward, if not player.

Well. You got one thing right.  You used the correct form of “their”. The rest of this is all crap 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a fan of the professional hockey team that cursed the words and meaning 6x6. And I still think this was waaay too much for a guy that has been around for a long time, and has a total of 55 goals. Everyone knows goals alone dont cut it but thats what fans wanna see and they ultimately win games too. Way too big of a commitment any way you try to look at it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The combination of:

 

- not ponying up 5.5 for Danault

 

and then...

 

- spending 4.5 on Hoffman

 

for me might be the worst turn of events I've seen today.

 

I like the Habs - so I'm not impressed.

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2021 at 11:02 AM, Devron44 said:

Montreal is going to be brutal 

They just got hot at the right time and just look at what happen to Dallas after that finals appearance the year before.  

 

Very good chance, they pick in the top 10.

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Don't know ow what the Kings are doing. They should be rebuilding... instead they want to be the 2006-2015 Calgary flames.

There fans need to suffer too - but they already got there two cups in this century; whereas, Vancouver is still talking about the Vancouver Millionaire.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2021 at 2:11 PM, ForzaTikare said:

I dont see Sutter 6th in Selke voting though.. Feels like a 4~M player though so for 5.5 its a no

Image

well 6th on Selke voting gets you the same as not in the Selke voting and Sutter is a very good 4c for 4.5 mil less and 5 years less lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, coryberg said:

Don't know ow what the Kings are doing. They should be rebuilding... instead they want to be the 2006-2015 Calgary flames.

they’re doing what we did with the twins and trying to “re tool” for Kopitar, Doughty and Brown. They all had strong years last year but I’m betting Brown was a flash in the pan and will regress. Doughty is still a strong dman and Kopitar will be the same. When it will hurt them is in 2-3 years when those players really decline. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Podz19 said:

well 6th on Selke voting gets you the same as not in the Selke voting and Sutter is a very good 4c for 4.5 mil less and 5 years less lol 

True that 6th in Selke doesnt give you an award but it shows how good your defensive game is.. Stoppning the opponent from scoring 1 is pretty much equal to scoring One.

 

With that Said, the Suttsy Contract is miles better but Danault is miles ahead skill-wise 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are people comparing him to Sutter?

 

In the three years leading up to his 4.3 million dollar contract in Vancouver he averaged .37 points per game and had poor underlying defensive stats.

 

Danault has averaged .6 points per game (nearly double Sutter) the last 3 seasons and has much better underlying numbers. 
 

Even if we put them as equal defensively and look straight at numbers, over 82 games you would be paying Sutter $143k per point vs $112k for Danault. The cap has also increased 15% so If you tack that on we paid Sutter ~5 million or $164k per point, a 47% premium.

 

I am not saying Danault is a good contract, just nowhere near Sutter bad. To be in line we would have given Sutter about 2.9 million. 
 

As for their current contracts they aren’t in the same realm and not at all worth comparing. But bang for buck Sutter is a better deal on his new contract, worse on his old contract. 

 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Why are people comparing him to Sutter?

 

In the three years leading up to his 4.3 million dollar contract in Vancouver he averaged .37 points per game and had poor underlying defensive stats.

 

Danault has averaged .6 points per game (nearly double Sutter) the last 3 seasons and has much better underlying numbers. 
 

Even if we put them as equal defensively and look straight at numbers, over 82 games you would be paying Sutter $143k per point vs $112k for Danault. The cap has also increased 15% so If you tack that on we paid Sutter ~5 million or $164k per point, a 47% premium.

 

I am not saying Danault is a good contract, just nowhere near Sutter bad. To be in line we would have given Sutter about 2.9 million. 
 

As for their current contracts they aren’t in the same realm and not at all worth comparing. But bang for buck Sutter is a better deal on his new contract, worse on his old contract. 

 

Is this what Hockey has come down to? Underlying stats? There are 3 types of lies in this world. Lies, damn lies and statistics. Analytics has it's place, but this isn't baseball.

 

What I judge Sutter on is the eye test. It's very apparent that whenever Sutter is out of the lineup our PK and shut down lines look like trash. Sutter was the original Danault, although his play has dropped off in recent years.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...