The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kings sign Alexander Edler

Never forget flying to Vancouver from Calgary to watch Canucks and leafs with me extended family leafs fans to watch the Canucks vs leafs, Toronto up 3-0 going into the third, getting absolutely flamed from my extended family, and eddy the eagle wins the game in OT! 

suck it leafs fans (followed by a 10 person brawl outside with leafs fans going to the shark club)

Edited by Filthy McNasty

13 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

The Edler with no beard and long hair up to 2011 I liked and had some swag. But after that he simply declined was slow lost his swag and grew a beard which made him look even more like a player past his prime. 

Glad to see someone give him another shot, at the same time I am glad JB moved on from him at this time, wish him all the best but can’t wait to see Connor Garland blow by him...

Used to run into Eddie at Trees Organic Coffee Shop and Kaide Sushi on corner of Pacifc and Richards on a regular basis when I lived in Yaletown in the late 2000s.  We had a fan/player connection mainly because I suffer from sciatica and he had serious back problems that I am sure hampers him to today (I'm not an athlete and my back problems have been with me since I was 19 years old).

Was one of the nicest, polite, and quiet young man I had ever met.  My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) was infatuated with Eddie.  You know, tall, blond, good looking Swede...what's there to stop the fairer sex from being infatuated by Eddie?

He'll definitely go down as one of the best Canucks players of all time...so cool he honored Thomas Gradin by wearing no. 23 during his time here. 

I truly believe if he didn't have his back problems throughout his entire career he could have been one of the best of his generation.

Sad to see Alexander Edler go, but it was time.  Wish him all the best in LA.  The Kings may be in rebuild mode, but it's become a great hockey city.  I believe Eddie will be appreciated (not as he was here though) in LA.

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Greatest Canucks Dman. Always under appreciated. 

It was time to let go 

Eddy was great however Ohlund and Lumme were just that little bit better IMO.

Good fortune to him in all his future endeavours.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Cheers 1

Just a little side note: I find it hilarious that Chicago and LA are trying to give their old core one more kick at the can.  Their young player groups are average at best. 

16 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

The Edler with no beard and long hair up to 2011 I liked and had some swag. But after that he simply declined was slow lost his swag and grew a beard which made him look even more like a player past his prime. 

9 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Edler might have chosen the Kings because he is in top ten all time blocked shots. 
with the Canucks getting better he might slip out of top ten.

with the Kings he has secured a lot of blocking. ::D

The perfect response to the first post.  Edler did peak and decline a bit early, but he changed as a player and became an absolute workhorse - kind of like Jay Bouwmeester.  Yes he lost his legs and hooked/tripped every game, but Edler was like a second goalie on the ice.  This past season Edler was almost a guarantee if there was a defensive zone faceoff (smth like 70%).

I expect Edler to fully earn his contract in L.A.  He will trip, he will hook, and he will lumber around.  But he will also hit everything and block shots like a machine.  My hope is that Edler will be like Willie Mitchell and have an excellent twilight for a few more years to come.

• Cheers 1