The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kings sign Alexander Edler

45 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

End of an era. Last of the 2011 team.

Good luck Eagle see you at your ring of honour ceremony.

Do you think Edler will be honoured with the ring of honour?

Personally I would guess that he has forfeited this honour by not ending his career in a canucks jersey.

Chasing the big money instead of ending his career as a canuck.

• Wat 1

7 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Dang.  Thought he'd be a Canuck for his career and was hoping he'd sign a low contract.  

Me too. But really, unless it was purely for depth and really cheap, our left side is already pretty busy.

Wishing him all the best with LA. When he wanted to go to free agency, I figured he'd try to get a chance on a cup team. Well, LA isn't that.

Gonna miss him, but at least he will get one hell of a reception when he returns with fans in the building and gets his well-deserved video tribute. Would be cool if we did the same for Tanny and Marky again since they did not get the fans love upon their return. They ALL deserve at least that much. And then to get their asses handed to them on the scoreboard:P 

15 minutes ago, Provost said:

I was hoping he would go to a contender.  It seems like he really didn't want to be back.  One year at $3.5 million isn't really a ton of money or term to relocate family etc to another country.

I imagine we didn't offer as much and contenders didn't have the room to offer it. They paid a premium to bring in a vet. Also, he probably wanted to stay on the West Coast.

23 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Do you think Edler will be honoured with the ring of honour?

Personally I would guess that he has forfeited this honour by not ending his career in a canucks jersey.

Chasing the big money instead of ending his career as a canuck.

Don't see why he wouldn't be? Spending a year in LA doesn't erase all he contributed to the Canucks or his community contributions. 

If we've got Bure's jersey retired with his having played for Florida and New York we can sure as hell put Edler in the ring of honour. 

Also, the Canucks had a part to play in moving on as well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

Think it was a fairly natural time for both parties to move on sadly. Edler still has great advanced stats and certainly is still a top-4 defenceman in this league so deserves his 3.5M. JB could have opted to let Hamonic go and get Edler back in but not for 2 years for sure. Smart move by both parties and good luck of course to Edler, no one will hold any resentment against him.

Hope he can come back and somehow manage our penalty kill or something, he's certainly going into our ring of honour but really #23 should be retired as he was the best all-around defenceman to wear a Canucks jersey and may be the best for a long time.