The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kings sign Alexander Edler

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I had a feeling that he wasn't going to a contender. He probably remembered the plethora of clothing stores in Rodeo Drive and made his mind up then.

He could still go to a contender if the King's are out of it by the trade deadline. 

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2021 at 10:03 PM, 70seven said:

I think LA is looking pretty solid

Yeah I think it will come down to us, LA, and Calgary for the last playoff spot.  

LA's defense really isn't that good outside of Drew Doughty.  Edler will instantly slot into their top 4, 1 year older and 1 year slower.  

On 7/29/2021 at 7:17 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

Just a little side note: I find it hilarious that Chicago and LA are trying to give their old core one more kick at the can.  Their young player groups are average at best. 

Well, we know how that plays out. Interestingly, so does Edler. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2021 at 1:02 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sounded like Vancouver offered 3M or just over 3M to keep him, very strange, but maybe he was sick of all the turnover and wanted a change before retiring?

sounds like the retirement special, same reason kesler and bieksa ended up in anaheim -- no more pressure, no more media scrutiny, anonymity for you and your family (including school aged children), board shorts and sandals to the rink everyday, playing nine holes after practice, all the lavish amenities a person with banked millions could dream of ... we should all be so lucky. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/30/2021 at 9:44 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

If that's the angle he chose, then I'm glad we didn't give him an offer he couldn't refuse.  Sounds like he's already checked out and is now doing part-time work, only to pass the time, and not necessarily pulling in the same direction as the team.

I disagree.  I am glad the Canucks did not sign Edler to the contract that he received, and am happy that he has moved on.  Where I disagree with you is that he chose to go to a place that would fit his lifestyle, and a place that he felt was right for his family.  I'm sure he'll bring the same work ethic to L.A. that he had here.  At no point did I ever feel that Edler "checked out" while he was here.  Is he the same player that he used to be? No, but still a very useful defenseman.

• Cheers 2

On 7/31/2021 at 1:02 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sounded like Vancouver offered 3M or just over 3M to keep him, very strange, but maybe he was sick of all the turnover and wanted a change before retiring?

It does seem strange, but I suppose like he said, it just wasn't a fun year and he needed a change. That's fine... no hard feelings.

What I find especially strange though is that he blocked a trade out of Vancoiver, but then jumped ship. I understand as a UFA he was able to go where he wanted and on his own terms, but he would have been able to anyway now that his contract ended. Simply didn't want the hassle in the meantime?

• Upvote 1