The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks: most improved team next year?

Rate this topic

steviewonder20

I was worried JB was not aggressive enough in negotiations to get something done.  It's almost like he had two Swedish AGMs doing the research for the AHL team while he did the NHL contracts.  Either way, I think JB did a great job in pretty much every area of need.  We'll see what the results are, however at this point he did well.

I would still expect a couple smaller moves once they know the cap hits for Petey and Hughes, and would potentially expect a veteran F signing like Anisimov still as the suspected Russian mentor to Podz.

Made a lot of changes but have to wait and see if it ends up with a better product on the ice.

Our forwards should be great.

Defense a disaster.

Goaltending solid.

So let's see if the forwards and goaltending can overcome our terrible defense.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I have nothing but respect for someone who admits they were wrong.  Didn't like the OEL trade at first but after the other moves, I'm stoked for training camp.    Amazing offseason.

I too didn't like the OEL trade at first but have warmed on it. Garland seems like a heck of a player, and Guenther wasn't as sexy a pick as some of the others would have been.

Not sure about the rest of the moves, aside from bringing Schenn back. But will reserve judgement until next season,

• Cheers 1

Some saying the Canucks new D is just a bunch of #5/6s. But do they forget that VAN also got Ekman-Larsson and re-signed Hamonic?  I really like all of the depth that Benning added, injuries happen and it'll be nice to be able to bring up a competent player. It also now feels like Hughes is surrounded by good leadership and I'm sure he's happy to have Schenn back. He won't be relied on the be "the guy" anymore. It was unfair all of the expectations that were placed on him. Now he can flourish. Let OEL and Myers handle the top lines.

Really like the addition of Garland to the Top 6, and they can now roll 3 lines that can score. I'm trying to temper my expectations for next season, but I'm also anxious to see this Canucks team kick some butt. 

• Cheers 2

I've never felt this excited for an upcoming season since like 2012

love our forward depth, goaltending is great. 

our defence looks a lot more solid than people give credit for. It's all about styles, Schmidt was a nice name but didn't fit stylistically with us. I think the D pairings have a better balance of OF/DD now. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Recall that during the playoffs, the previous Canucks defence with Tanev was good enough to get them to game 7 against Vegas. I think this new defence is just as good on paper. We will see just how good. 

The forward group is scary. The opposition teams should anticipate a nasty surprise in store for them, 

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks fans - "We need RDs!! We only have Myers!!!"

Benning signs 5 of them (including Keeper) :towel:

We may get into a situation where some of the RD have to learn how to play LD to get into the lineup:P

28 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I’ll admit that I wanted JB fired this year. I’m not a JB hater, but like many others on CDC and elsewhere, I saw him as a great scout but a terrible asset manager. The large number of over-paid bottom six folks weighed this team down, as did losing Toffoli.

The turnaround that he has accomplished in the past week is simply astounding. I don’t know if it is due to him learning from his past mistakes or having a better brain trust around him. Yes, there are risks, like OEL not significantly improving from his last two years. Yes, it would have been great to get a third for Holtby and a second for Nate; but the market determines value.

Dumping dead weight made these changes possible. With the upgraded roster, the addition of Podz, and anticipating a much improved defensive structure (thank you Shaw), I am more optimistic about our potential for success than I have been since 2011. 

Of course there is room for improvement, and some of our recent signings are short-term as they are placeholders. I would not be surprised if the Canucks improve in the standings, next season, more than any other team in the NHL. GCG and good job, JB.

First post here, and a long time Canucks fan. I like you was getting tired of Benning and have supported him. I was not very pleased initially with the OEL trade as I saw getting out from all those contracts for one more year as the best course of action, vs taking on another potential albatross. But the more I read about Garland, and the fact I do believe OEL will improve here given our team I was like, ok... its acceptable. BUT NOW, with all these subsequent moves, he's really shown some great skill beyond drafting! Finally!!

This team is a playoff team now, they've got the core, provided the talented core with some big boys, who play big, especially on the RD side which we needed, improved our bottom 6 and top 6, and really its up to our young guns to take the next step. Benning has given Green and our stars the support they need, so its on them to compete and lead the team now. I love what he's done, reasonable contracts, not crazy money for support players, solved all the issues and even have some young rookies to battle for spots (Gadj, Lockwood etc).

I think we will have a very exciting season, some playoffs, and hopefully a nice run if we stay healthy and the team comes together and has some luck. I definitely like the composition of this roster. A bit of everything and some big boys to protect our talent now (Schenn, Hamonic, Gadj, Mckewan etc).

I want to see this team in the playoffs not only because its the playoffs, but I think JB finally got the mix right!

Miller Petey Hoglander

Garland Bo Boeser

Pearson Dickenson Podz

Motte Sutter Mckewan 

OEL / Myers

Hughes / Hamonic

Juolevi / Schenn

Poolman

Demko

Halak

First Call ups 

Rathbone

Gadjovich

Lockwood

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Crystal ball stuff

Canucks secure a playoff spot in late March, and then Klimovich joins he team for a handfull of games before the post-season. No one will know how to play him, but he'll be like a freight train. A healthy-Ferland type?

• Vintage 1