Rate this topic

3 hours ago, khay said:

Out: Edler, Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, Schmidt, Chatfield,Holtby

In: OEL, Dickinson, Garland, Podkolzin,Poolman, Schenn, Halak

OEL > Edler

Dickinson >= Beagle

Garland >>>> Roussel

Podkolzin infinitely better than Eriksson

Poolman < Schmidt in puck moving/offence but he's good defensively and twice cheaper.

Schenn > Chatfield

Halak >= Holtby

The team got much better.

Most importantly, we have way better depth.

Jim Benning definitely was hitting for the cycles past few days. Great job!

46 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

We def bought our selves a new farm team lol. 

I kid I love how we signed 3 ACTUAL ! Right side Dman! That’s huge! Guys playing their natural side. Super stoked. Lots of depth on D.. big upgrade on depth. Skilled left side with a tough right side. 

when do the big two sign though? I’ve refreshed the Trade and Rumour page so many damn times… 

I wouldn't hold my breath on the RFAs.  

All the agents are busy with their UFAs during this time.  Once all the dust settles, I expect to see the RFAs get back into focus. 

As curious as I am to see what this all looks like on ice, think I would’ve rather kept Guenther and waited just another year for all this change, without giving up future assets.  But fukit, let’s see what this group can do!

…. if they do suck, it’s gonna be tough to watch it all implode 

2 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

We def bought our selves a new farm team lol. 

I kid I love how we signed 3 ACTUAL ! Right side Dman! That’s huge! Guys playing their natural side. Super stoked. Lots of depth on D.. big upgrade on depth. Skilled left side with a tough right side. 

when do the big two sign though? I’ve refreshed the Trade and Rumour page so many damn times… 

We actually signed four one way contacts to the RSD today with Keeper. 

• Hydration 1

I have to apologize to GM Jim B. I am very excited for this team now. Amazed really.

I hated the OEL trade at first but as I look at it, Even if OEL SUCKS!@ it will still be good. I dont like the term of 6 more years but he can always get dumped in a couple years..

Very well done Benning, This is the best team under Jims management.

• Vintage 2
On 7/29/2021 at 1:27 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think New Jersey ends up being the most improved team. Their young guys will have another year of experience under their belts and they managed to snag themselves an elite RHD. 

Yep it's hard to argue with that.   On paper they win the trophy.   Vancouver is considered one of the sixth most improved teams after the draft and free agency so far.     EDM, Boston, NJ, Canucks, Kraken (of course) and WNP.

Where we fit in with that group?  I'd say third most improved team - NJ, Kraken, Vancouver.    Kraken doesn't really count so call us second most improved team this off season so far.   EDM was a close third.  

26 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

If MAF plays, Chicago would be a good candidate for one of the most improved team.

Seth Jones, Tyler Johnson, MA Fleury... 

CHI was listed as one of the draft day losers.   Congratulations.   Seth Jones at that cap is going to make OELs look like a great contract.   MAF yes for sure a good improvement.    TJ meh.   Not great not bad but doubt he meets his cap hit expectations.   Best move was Kieth. 

On 7/29/2021 at 2:25 AM, TheNewGM said:

I have to apologize to GM Jim B. I am very excited for this team now. Amazed really.

I hated the OEL trade at first but as I look at it, Even if OEL SUCKS!@ it will still be good. I dont like the term of 6 more years but he can always get dumped in a couple years..

Very well done Benning, This is the best team under Jims management.

It is your right.   Now the coaching staff have to prove they belong (which i think they do, i have zero issue with TG,  neither does anyone else outside of the Vancouver fan base and some media types).    Let's see what they can do!

• Vintage 1

I think the Canucks have definitely asserted themselves as being a playoff team from here on out and over the next number of years, but my concern now is that the Canucks won’t be able to take that next step (ie 2nd round and above), given their new cap structure.    

From an outside looking in, it just seems that whatever contracts of ours that falls off the books will simply be needed to re-up players internally.  For example - over the next few years, the contracts of Pearson, Halak, Hamonic, and Miller will basically be used to re-up Hoglander, Podkolzin, Horvat, and Boeser.  And then after that, it will likely be time to re-up Petey and Hughes with post bridge contracts (or Atleast one of them).

In other words, I can see the Canucks basically being a perennial 1st round loser for the next little while here.  The Edmonton Pilere of last year basically.

I also want to go on record stating that I do like Tyler Myers.  He’s got a solid offensive game and knows how to assert himself physically.  I just don’t see him as a top pairing guy however.  To me, he’s a #4 that should be earning about 4-4.5 million dollars.  That Myers contract is what’s going to hurt us in my opinion because we will be counting on Myers to be a top pairing guy.

If the Canucks are to take the next level, they will need to find a way to get Myers off the books so that they can go HARD after a top stay at home UFA RD in one of these Summers.

On 7/28/2021 at 2:54 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks fans - "We need RDs!! We only have Myers!!!"

Benning signs 5 of them (including Keeper) :towel:

As someone who is a lefty I love seeing goalies catching with their right-hand. It messes with the guys trying to score.

On 7/31/2021 at 6:53 AM, IBatch said:

Kraken doesn't really count so call us second most improved team this off season so far.  

Plus, the Kraken went undefeated last season. They have nowhere to go but down. ;) 

(Weak joke, I know, but couldn’t resist. :P)

• Haha 1
On 7/28/2021 at 4:14 PM, Duodenum said:

Absolutely the opposite. 

I'm just using how they'll historically performed and assuming that they will more or less continue that with Hughes/Rathbone being maybes to improve. 

We had one of the worst dcorps last year, lost our two top defensive defenseman and replaced them with a struggling OEL and a bottom pairing Poolman. Therefore I am expecting more of the same because that is the most likely to occur. By our defense being a disaster, I'm talking specifically about keeping the puck out of the net. 

The thing about OEL is yes he had a bad season by his standards but he still was on pace for 10 goals 35+ points and still played tough minutes with a bottom pairing at best partner.

That's still better than what Edler did so it's already improved and I think he will be much better here.

Nate wasn't a fit here and while I like him, I think we are better with him and his 6 million spent elsewhere.

In gonna assume you didn't watch many Jets games, Poolman carried the Jets best Dman and helped him turn his season around. TSN crew said Shaw wanted him and they think the hope is to put him with OEL.

Quinn was a -21 away from Hamonic and only a minus 1 with him and they had a 60% CF,  Hughes and Tanev during a much better season for the team had I think a 52% CF so if things stray the same Quinn will probably have his best defensive year so far.

Rathbone- Myers is a real wild-card,  Jack while granted a small sample size but he played very well and Myers with Rathbone or Joulevi should thrive with easy minutes.

Finally this is the most depth we've had in a long time, Schenn, Joulevi, Hunt, Woo is great depth.

End of the day it's all about fit and balance but were bigger, more physical, each pairing has balance let's hope they fit.

On 7/28/2021 at 4:23 PM, Bobby James said:

Yeah that's fair maybe the changes won't work and we'll get the same struggling/can't keep the puck out of our end or net type of defense we have had before. I think Hamonic should be better than last season since he was injured to start and it was the covid year. I don't know anything about Poolman so I'll go with what you're saying and he's a bottom pairing guy that won't have much impact in the grand scheme of things. 

I suppose we'll see how this group does compared to last years group. I do think OEL is an exciting risk that could pay off and having two offensive LD might help us keep the puck more and move it to the forwards could be beneficial overall. 

Lets not forget with the added players our forward group are all sound defensively, which make the defensemen jobs easier. 

Edited by vancan2233
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1
On 7/28/2021 at 2:58 PM, Maddogy said:

Recall that during the playoffs, the previous Canucks defence with Tanev was good enough to get them to game 7 against Vegas. I think this new defence is just as good on paper. We will see just how good. 

The forward group is scary. The opposition teams should anticipate a nasty surprise in store for them, 

That was not the defense that was good enough to get then to game 7.. it was demko and only demko lol... the canucks were being destroyed in shots and chance and demko stood on his head to make it even last that long. If Marky wasn't injured series woulda been over at 5

• Hydration 1
43 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

That was not the defense that was good enough to get then to game 7.. it was demko and only demko lol... the canucks were being destroyed in shots and chance and demko stood on his head to make it even last that long. If Marky wasn't injured series woulda been over at 5

Agreed.   Three players managed fine against Vegas on the entire lineup, Myers when he came back helped a lot, their forwards met their equal there, Motte was a takeaway beast and per minute our best forward (TG even took notice and started adding minutes throughout the playoffs), and of course Demko.    Edler was decent infront of the net only though.    Can't believe some consider Pearson and TT "heavy players", both wilted and were pussycats on the boards.   TT did score coming back - his best ability is to find a seem and get to where the garbage will be.   JV was a huge dissappointment physically.    If we won that series it would have been the most undeserved series win i've ever watched, of course i was rooting for us.   Demko had three of the best games i've ever watched as a goalie, it's up there with the Luongo/Turco battle.