The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Justin Dowling

2 hours ago, BPA said:

I just want to hear all the JB haters complaining about the contracts.

Lol.

:P

Honestly it’s about quality not quantity. It’s more important to me to get petey and Hughes signed up. I could see hughs not taking much money to go to newjersey. what about the offer sheets coming to petey 

3 hours ago, x00x said:

whats with all these no names being signed? dont we have players for our AHL team already?

We just traded 3 AHL forward to Arizona and lost lind to Seattle a few other guys weren’t resigned too. 

19 hours ago, RWJC said:

Krakheads will be doing the same thing in another year when they establish their farm team too

I hope so ... I'll be going to a few of their games (especially when the baby Canucks are visiting)

17 hours ago, brian42 said:

We just traded 3 AHL forward to Arizona and lost lind to Seattle a few other guys weren’t resigned too. 

Plus, we only fielded about 14 players last season, as we were sharing with St Louis in Utuca.  They supplied the other half (which is why they, too, have been active in signing 2 -way contracts with some free agents)

• Like 1

Center depth at the end of the season with Sutter out as FA

EP

Bo

Miller(sort of)

Highmore

Beagle

Jasek

Focht 

Costmar

Zlodeyev

Karlsson

Zhukenov

Kunz

Center depth now

EP

Bo

Miller(sort of)

Dickinson

Sutter

Highmore

Petan

Dries

Dowling

Stevens

Jasek

Focht

Costmar

Zlodeyev

Lockhart

Karlsson

Zhukenov

Kunz

No Gretzky or Yzerman in their but some real NHL depth and quality.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I have a feeling this guy could be an extra forward on the team and not in Abbotsford.

Sneaky signing 

He played 27 NHL games last season and he’s on a one way deal, which would suggest he’s in the mix for sure. 

If not he’s familiar with Abby having played there in 2011

Edited by 70seven
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 8:50 PM, Devron44 said:

I have a feeling this guy could be an extra forward on the team and not in Abbotsford.

Sneaky signing 

I'm also starting to like this signing more and more... JB obviously sees something real special in this guy by giving him a 2-year deal!! The more I watch him on YouTube highlights, the more I feel he can grab a spot off Highmore's hands! Dowling plays C and wing effectively so that's a huge plus!! The only knock on him is his 5'10 frame but he's a more proven NHLer than Highmore and MacEwen!!

Edited by RakuRaku
  • Vintage 1

On 7/29/2021 at 8:50 PM, Devron44 said:

Sneaky signing 

Di Giuseppe as well, although Dowling might have the edge, due to positional versatility as a C/W.

But Di Giuseppe should be in the mix, and with a strong camp, we could easily see him on the opening night roster.

The Canucks, perhaps more than any other team in the league, believe in running a competitive camp and having spots up for grabs for any player who comes in and has a very strong showing.

Di Giuseppe is definitely a candidate, along with Dowling (who probably has the inside track right now).

I’ll just steal this from The Athletic:

“The 27-year-old was once one of the top prospects in the Hurricanes’ system. While he’s never fulfilled the enticing offensive ceiling that made him an early second-round pick in 2013, he is a veteran of 201 NHL games, most recently with the New York Rangers. Di Giuseppe plays with bite and edge — he’s thrown 116 hits in 51 games over the last two seasons, a per game rate that would rank second behind only Tyler Motte among Canucks forwards. He’s also quietly been a decent bottom-six producer offensively. The raw point totals definitely don’t leap off the page, but he’s chipped in with 1.31 points per 60 minutes at five-on-five over his NHL career, which is a very respectable rate for a fourth-liner — better than what Highmore’s managed in his career.”

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos (one with the potential to read a bit sucio, lol)
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Di Giuseppe as well, although Dowling might have to edge, due to positional versatility as a C/W.

But Di Giuseppe should be in the mix, and with a strong camp, could easily imagine it himself on the opening night roster.

The Canucks, perhaps more than any other team in the league, believe in running a competitive camp and having spots up for grabs for any player who comes in and has a very strong showing.

Di Giuseppe is definitely a candidate, along with Dowling (who probably has the inside track right now).

“The 27-year-old was once one of the top prospects in the Hurricanes’ system. While he’s never fulfilled the enticing offensive ceiling that made him an early second-round pick in 2013, he is a veteran of 201 NHL games, most recently with the New York Rangers. Di Giuseppe plays with bite and edge — he’s thrown 116 hits in 51 games over the last two seasons, a per game rate that would rank second behind only Tyler Motte among Canucks forwards. He’s also quietly been a decent bottom-six producer offensively. The raw point totals definitely don’t leap off the page, but he’s chipped in with 1.31 points per 60 minutes at five-on-five over his NHL career, which is a very respectable rate for a fourth-liner — better than what Highmore’s managed in his career.”

Same here.... JB finally found some NHL bodies that can really play.... 

I really believe Di Giuseppe & Dowling > Megna & Skille

Di Giuseppe and Dowling are serious business.. they don't just float around... they try hard on every shift!! So glad we got them to round out our 4th line + extras!!

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Di Giuseppe and Dowling are serious business.. they don't just float around... they try hard on every shift!! So glad we got them to round out our 4th line + extras!!

Yup. We’ll have to see what happens when pencil and paper turns to skates on ice, but there’s a fair amount to be optimistic about in these depth signings, whether it’s what they can do for Abbotsford or Vancouver. Perhaps in aggregate, the best part of JB’s work in free agency has been done in the spots below ~20th on the overall depth chart.

(Should also credit Ryan Johnson, as he’s reportedly played a significant role in targeting the depth players the team signed this summer.)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Di Giuseppe as well, although Dowling might have the edge, due to positional versatility as a C/W.

But Di Giuseppe should be in the mix, and with a strong camp, we could easily see him on the opening night roster.

Legit Depth. Neither hopefuls or projects. I suspect one or both could be on opening night roster. Someone is going to be injured for one. That’s a 90% possibility lol. I’m not certain Motte is ready for training camp? 

Regardless we have lots of options where last year we knew exactly who was going to be on the team with little depth hence the Veseys and Boyd’s plucked off waivers.

Im more then excited for training camp 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/30/2021 at 1:01 AM, Spoosh said:

I so wanna see all the new (and old) faces at camp as soon as possible. Really excited for the new look team, even if SN just gave us a D+ for the first day of FA. B)

What does SN know :bigblush:

2 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

So Benning isn’t as stupid as some in the fan base thought? :ph34r: