The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] So, what will be “the plan” over these next 2-3 years?

I think most of us can agree that we’ve taken some solid steps in the right direction even if more work needs to be done in the future in terms of us becoming a true contender.   While I’m still wrapping my head around what has transpired this past week, here is my preliminary outline:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

2021-2022:

Miller-Pettersson-Garland

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

MacEwen

OEL-Hamonic
Hughes-Myers

Rathbone-Poolman

Schenn

Demko

Halak

2022 off-season:

-My guess is that the Canucks will throw the kitchen sink in trying to land Colton Parayko if he makes it to UFA.  I don’t know of anyone else from this UFA class that would meet our needs as perfectly.   Luongo recapture + moving Hamonic + some other minor moves would likely makes us a competitive bidder.  Josh Manson and Connor Murphy would likely be other targets here just in case we missed on Parayko.

2022-2023:  (cup contender?)

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Motte-Highmore-MacEwen

OEL-Parayko 

Hughes-[???]

Rathbone-Poolman

Demko

Dipietro

As far as that [???] goes, I would try and find a way to move Tyler Myers to clear up cap space so that we can bring in a more defensive defenseman either via UFA (Josh Manson?) or trade.

Ive heard Detroit being interested in a guy like Myers and so if they wanted him from us, I’d be happy to oblige.

My guess is that the loser of the Rathbone vs Juolevi battle for that 3rd LD spot will be used to recoup one of our draft picks.  I could also see someone like MacEwen being used here in this capacity as well if he can’t make our line-up.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

You lost me with Garland at LW  :blink:

He plays both sides does he not?  I was just trying to find a way to put him, Horvat, and Podz together since I think Hoglander and Garland playing with one another is too risky in terms of size.  

ps - I now put Garland on the top line with Boeser moving down to play with Horvat.  Podz goes to plays with Dicks (sorry that didn’t “come” out right but I hope you get what I mean. ;-)).

Edited by Patel Bure

3 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

He lost me with Myers on a first pairing

waynes world GIF

Well in my defense, it was either between Myers, Hamonic, or Poolman.  Who would you put on that TOP PAIRING RD spot?  

ps - I went ahead and added Hamonic there instead.  Not sure if that's good news or bad news in the world of FlyLow.  :-p

• Vintage 1

I’d go all in on Parayko.... even if it means.... (stop, drop, take a breath) trading Boeser! 

Parayko on our backend would take us from a pretender to a contender. 

Assuming it takes 17 to sign Dickinson, EP, QH this offseason.

You are going to have 13.5 mill to sign Boeser (+2) 4th Line (+5), Rathbone (+1), Di Pietro to back up (+1).  Without any moves, we have about 5 mil to play with. 

Ryan Pulock would be the perfect fit in terms of playing style and age, but is probably a stretch on our cap at 7-8mil or so and probably won't make it to UFA anyway.  I'd pay what is needed, and make space the necessary space for him if he hits the market, he is the ideal partner for Quinn Hughes.  Connor Murphy/Josh Manson would fit right in our budget though, and I could see them getting to UFA.  Parayko is going to get paid big time, but he is coming off a pretty rough year, I think I'd pass on him.

If Quinn Hughes has a bounce back year, dangling the opportunity to partner with him could be a real selling feature next offseason.  There are a number of quality RD on expiring deals.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, BCNate said:

Assuming it takes 17 to sign Dickinson, EP, QH this offseason.

You are going to have 13.5 mill to sign Boeser (+2) 4th Line (+5), Rathbone (+1), Di Pietro to back up (+1).  Without any moves, we have about 5 mil to play with. 

Ryan Pulock would be the perfect fit in terms of playing style and age, but is probably a stretch on our cap at 7-8mil or so and probably won't make it to UFA anyway.  I'd pay what is needed, and make space the necessary space for him if he hits the market, he is the ideal partner for Quinn Hughes.  Connor Murphy/Josh Manson would fit right in our budget though, and I could see them getting to UFA.  Parayko is going to get paid big time, but he is coming off a pretty rough year, I think I'd pass on him.

If Quinn Hughes has a bounce back year, dangling the opportunity to partner with him could be a real selling feature next offseason.  There are a number of quality RD on expiring deals.

I think you are missing something. Maybe you have forgotten Holtby's buy out?

In 2022 we will have Boeser, Motte, Sutter, Highmore, MacEwen, Rathbone and Halak coming off contract (5F, 1D, 1G).

If EP + QH + JD + OJ sign for a combined $18m this off season. Then we will have $15.7m in 2022 to resign or replace the guys coming off contract (see below). There may also be up to $3.4m in performance bonus overages from 2021 to pay. Lets say optimistically we have $15m of space, what will it cost to resign/replace?

5 forwards:

Boeser - $8.5m

Motte - $2m

plus 3 min salary guys - $2.5m

1 Dman:

Rathbone - $1m

Backup goalie:

Dipietro - $1m

That's $15m right there. So no cap space for Parayko. The only way I can see us having space for Parayko/Pulock/Manson is to trade Myers somehow...

Canucks 2022.JPG

Edited by BigTramFan

5 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I think you are missing something. Maybe you have forgotten Holtby's buy out?

In 2022 we will have Boeser, Motte, Sutter, Highmore, MacEwen, Rathbone and Halak coming off contract (5F, 1D, 1G).

If EP + QH + JD + OJ sign for a combined $18m this off season. Then we will have $15.7m in 2022 to resign or replace the guys coming off contract (see below). There may also be up to $3.4m in performance bonus overages from 2021 to pay. Lets say optimistically we have $15m of space, what will it cost to resign/replace?

5 forwards:

Boeser - $8.5m

Motte - $2m

1 Dman:

Rathbone - $1m

Backup goalie:

Dipietro - $1m

That's $15m right there. So no cap space for Parayko. The only way I can see us having space for Parayko/Pulock/Manson is to trade Myers somehow...

Canucks 2022.JPG

You are going a little higher on a few guys than I am.  There is also 3 mil in cap space for 2022-23 in Cap Friendly that will be pushed to the Minors.  I worked it to be about 5 available.  Not enough for Klingberg, Parayko, or Pulock, but should be enough for Manson or Murphy.

10 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

5 forwards:

Boeser - $8.5m

Motte - $2m

1 Dman:

Rathbone - $1m

Backup goalie:

Dipietro - $1m

Fans need to pump the brakes on these contracts.  In what world is Boeser an 8.5 mil player? 

I don’t know if we should keep him given the fact that his qualifying offer will have to be 7.5 mil.  

8 mil and above is reserved for play drivers , which Boeser is not. 

I'll play along and say if JB wanted to be super duper bold, he trades both Miller AND Boeser in the 22-23 off-season assuming both have good years but not godly can't trade type of seasons.  

xxx EP Garlund

Hoagie BH xxx

Pearson Dickinson Podz

Lockwood Focht xxx

QH Hamonic

OEL Myers

Rathbone Poolman

Demko

xxx

Well, here is your answer

We need one of our forward prospects to blossom into a bonafide blue chipper (not talking about Podkolzin)

Just one! Klimovich, one of the other Russians, Costmar, one of the Swedes.................just one!

The reason being it allows us the luxury to move a Boeser, or Miller, with out weakening the forwards

But we have a couple of 1sts in that time frame......so one never knows

Great comments. For me the question comes down to who would you rather keep in 2 years time when our young players are in their prime. Miller or Boesser? We won't be able to afford both and I think will need to flip one to land our top RHD. Not sure which other way we achieve this. I know Millers contract would be up so would have to trade him before, possibly next trade deadline. Would you rather keep a Boesser who knows where to be on the ice with a quick release to rack up goals, or a heart and soul leader who drives play but will start his decline in play.

Also depends what we would receive for both players and if we have a LW or RW ready to step into their spot with Petey.

Think this is the only way we get better. Doesn't make us more flashy or fun to watch team but creates a stronger style of game that will hopefully go deep in playoffs.

From the bottom of my heart - go canucks go. We are not there yet but the pieces to a stanley cup contender are starting to add up.

5 hours ago, Shanghaii Owey Ice said:

Great comments. For me the question comes down to who would you rather keep in 2 years time when our young players are in their prime. Miller or Boesser? We won't be able to afford both and I think will need to flip one to land our top RHD. Not sure which other way we achieve this. I know Millers contract would be up so would have to trade him before, possibly next trade deadline. Would you rather keep a Boesser who knows where to be on the ice with a quick release to rack up goals, or a heart and soul leader who drives play but will start his decline in play.

Also depends what we would receive for both players and if we have a LW or RW ready to step into their spot with Petey.

Think this is the only way we get better. Doesn't make us more flashy or fun to watch team but creates a stronger style of game that will hopefully go deep in playoffs.

From the bottom of my heart - go canucks go. We are not there yet but the pieces to a stanley cup contender are starting to add up.

I think in a situation like that, you’d have to keep Boeser over Miller since Boeser is the younger asset.  The hope would be that Podkolzin can take over Miller’s current role.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Finding a way to upgrade Myers on RD might be our only way of becoming a consistent 2nd round++ team a la Boston, NYI, Carolina, Tampa, Vegas, Colorado, and Winnipeg. 

Like I was saying earlier, I think the Canucks’ biggest obstacle these next few years is that they won’t be able to bring in much external help with any freed up cap space as most freed up cap will have to be used on re-upping our RFA’s.   

In a nutshell, the freed up cap space from Luongo recapture, Sutter, Hamonic, Miller, Halak, Pearson, Myers, etc., will have to be applied to Virtanen/Holtby buyout, new 4th line C, a new RD (Internal promotion like Woo or external help like Tryamkin?), Horvat, Hughes II (post bridge), Hoglander, and Podkolzin.

In other words, the Canucks could be playing this “cat and mouse” cap game up until 2024-2025 in which they simply apply freed up cap space on re-upping pending RFA’s (and Horvat).

What does this mean?   In my opinion, it means that the Canucks could be a perennial 1st round loser for the next 4 years (maybe a 2nd round appearance one year + a narrowly missed playoff birth in another year).  

[b]That’s how I see our current team.  While I think we have a lot of strengths in many different areas (forwards, goaltending, LD, 3rd defense pairing) I think our suspect “defensive prowess” on those top two pairings will prove to be too much of an Achilles heel as I don’t think that any combination of Myers, Poolman, or Hamonic will be able to bail out OEL and Hughes defensively at the top pairing or even 2nd pairing level........Atleast consistently enough. [/b]

However, IF the Canucks can somehow find a legit top pair shut down guy, or a strong enough “defensive” pairing that can be used to shut down tougher match-ups, then I can definitely see the Canucks joining teams like Tampa, NYI, Carolina, Boston, Vegas, Colorado, and Winnipeg in that perennial “2nd round++” category.

[b] My solution would be to “bite the proverbial boner” and trade Hughes+Myers to New Jersey for Graves, Severson, and a 1st round pick. [/b]

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Motte-Sutter-[MayTheBestManWin]

[13thforward]

OEL-Hamonic

Graves-Severson

Juolevi-Myers (or Rathbone-Myers)

Schenn

Demko

Halak

I am of the opinion that this above team is not only more well rounded and joins the elite ranks, but also solidifies their future (acquiring another 1st) while creating a more flexible cap structure.  Myers will be off the books whilw

the Canucks wouldn’t have to worry about re-upping Hughes after his bridge deal in a few years (my guess is that Hughes will be getting a bridge).  

At the same time, the Canucks could have the option of walking from one and/or BOTH of Graves and Severson in two years if they feel like they needed the cap flexibility (ie if one of Jet Woo and/or Juolevi/Rathbone was ready to fill in on that 2nd pairing position). 

Anyways, I’m not sure if my plan from above would be feasible (or if the Canucks or NJ would be open to this), but that’s what I’d strongly consider doing.

People won’t want to hear this but I’d also explore options of packaging Rathbone with Myers in “a hockey deal” to see what kind of top pairing RD’s we’d be able to possibly get (ie A Connor Murphy type guy for instance).

Edited by Patel Bure

I really don’t understand the fascination on this thread with trading away our forwards. Canucks FINALLY have a good forward core and everyone wants to trade them away? Just can’t stand being good I suppose. 

I don’t think the plan is it rebuild the blue line. It should be, but I don’t think that’s the plan. Canucks have rebuilt their blue line every year for the past 3 years. We can’t keep doing it every offseason

i think this is what we get. This is the team we go with for the next 2 or 3 years. If it fails, it fails

• Vintage 1

On 7/28/2021 at 2:32 PM, Patel Bure said:

I think most of us can agree that we’ve taken some solid steps in the right direction even if more work needs to be done in the future in terms of us becoming a true contender.   While I’m still wrapping my head around what has transpired this past week, here is my preliminary outline:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

2021-2022:

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

MacEwen

OEL-Hamonic
Hughes-Myers

Rathbone-Poolman

Schenn

Demko

Halak

2022 off-season:

-My guess is that the Canucks will throw the kitchen sink in trying to land Colton Parayko if he makes it to UFA.  I don’t know of anyone else from this UFA class that would meet our needs as perfectly.   Luongo recapture + moving Hamonic + some other minor moves would likely makes us a competitive bidder.  Josh Manson and Connor Murphy would likely be other targets here just in case we missed on Parayko.

2022-2023:  (cup contender?)

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Motte-Highmore-MacEwen

OEL-Parayko 

Hughes-[???]

Rathbone-Poolman

Demko

Dipietro

As far as that [???] goes, I would try and find a way to move Tyler Myers to clear up cap space so that we can bring in a more defensive defenseman either via UFA (Josh Manson?) or trade.

Ive heard Detroit being interested in a guy like Myers and so if they wanted him from us, I’d be happy to oblige.

My guess is that the loser of the Rathbone vs Juolevi battle for that 3rd LD spot will be used to recoup one of our draft picks.  I could also see someone like MacEwen being used here in this capacity as well if he can’t make our line-up.

We won't be in the bidding for Parayko, but if Podkolzin, Garland, and Hoglander all look like legit top 6 forwards then we'll have forward depth to deal from for a legit, young first line RD.

• Upvote 1