The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] So, what will be “the plan” over these next 2-3 years?

1 hour ago, The King said:

We won't be in the bidding for Parayko, but if Podkolzin, Garland, and Hoglander all look like legit top 6 forwards then we'll have forward depth to deal from for a legit, young first line RD.

Great points.  

With respect to both Tyler Myers and/or Travis Hamonic (I like both dmen.....as #4’s), I think the Canucks will need to find a way to upgrade Atleast one of these guys if they truly want to go from being 1st round fodder (their current status in my opinion) into a 2nd round++ team like Colorado, Vegas, Winnipeg, Tampa Bay, Boston, Carolina, and NYI.

While the idea of Hughes+Myers for Graves, Severson, and a 1st intrigues me, I’m not entirely sure if that’s something I’d do.  Having both Hughes and OEL on that left side is an extraordinary advantage that the Canucks should take advantage of.  I don’t think Benning would want to make that deal, and I think the Devils will do a “wait and see” with Ty Smith to see how he develops.  

Analyzing our current team, I could see the Canucks eventually packaging one of Juolevi or Rathbone with Myers in a “hockey deal” to bring in a more “defensive defenseman.”   

I’m wondering if a Rathbone+Myers to Chicago for Connor Murphy + ??? type deal would benefit both teams?

Rathbone ain't going nowhere!

I also don't think Myers is tradeable with his cap hit of $6m (thankfully he is built for the playoffs and is a good PKer).

I also believe Poolman will be a very good long term fit as a shutdown Dman. He is signed to a low cap hit for decent term.

This probably makes Hamonic the main guy we will target upgrading on.

Based on the above thinking, it is more likely we trade Pearson and Hamonic next season to make room for a high end Dman like Pulock or Parayko.

And I hope it is Pulock. His defense and offensive stats are much better than Parayko.

• Hydration 1
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I also don't think Myers is tradeable with his cap hit of $6m (thankfully he is built for the playoffs and is a good PKer).

I also believe Poolman will be a very good long term fit as a shutdown Dman. He is signed to a low cap hit for decent term.

Based on the above thinking, it is more likely we trade Pearson and Hamonic next season to make room for a high end Dman like Pulock or Parayko.

And I hope it is Pulock. His defense and offensive stats are much better than Parayko.

Pulock would have been great but he just signed.   :-(

EDIT - never mind, my mistake.  Nothing to see here folks.  :-p

p.s._______________Would love Pulock (signed before coming here), but he'd probably cost Boeser.   I'd *possibly* be open to that IF both Garland and Podkolzin prove to good top 6 forwards right away (Garland is already there), but even then, I'd be hesitant.  

Personally speaking, I don't want the Canucks to take away from their forward prowess to bolster their D.  Canucks can roll three very good lines right now and my hope is that we can keep things this way.  Bolster our D if we must, but find another way to do it. 

Edited by Patel Bure
5 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Agree those 2 are probably the first to be traded.  Whether for a free agent or cap space or bumped out cuz a prospect makes the jump into the NHL.

Outside chance of Motte as well if he demands a big raise.

• Hydration 1
3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Would love Pulock (signed before coming here), but he'd probably cost Boeser.   I'd *possibly* be open to that IF both Garland and Podkolzin prove to good top 6 forwards right away (Garland is already there), but even then, I'd be hesitant.  

Personally speaking, I don't want the Canucks to take away from their forward prowess to bolster their D.  Canucks can roll three very good lines right now and my hope is that we can keep things this way.  Bolster our D if we must, but find another way to do it. 

I would target Pulock as a UFA next season. Costs no assets. 

• Hydration 1
44 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I would target Pulock as a UFA next season. Costs no assets. 

I would as well but the Canucks will have to find a way to afford his salary.   My guess is that if the Canucks were seriously interested in Pulock, they would have to find a way to move Myers without retention.

34 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I would as well but the Canucks will have to find a way to afford his salary.   My guess is that if the Canucks were seriously interested in Pulock, they would have to find a way to move Myers without retention.

Moving Pearson and Hamonic for picks should give us enough cap space to resign Boeser, sign Pulock as UFA, and bring some young guns into our bottom 6. Motte may not be affordable depending on his demands.

This roster is possible and cap compliant:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Podz Dickinson Klimovich

Gadjovich **4C** MacEwen

(Highmore)

Hughes Pulock

OEL Poolman

Rathbone Myers

(Juolevi)

Demko

(Dipietro)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Our defence looks pretty stable to be honest right now, let's see how they perform this season (we've said this at the start of every season and it sometimes does, sometimes doesn't pan out)...

I think the defence rests on OEL - if he plays well defensively and doesn't give up too many chances, we're looking good. Poolman, Hamonic and Myers are fairly steady and you know what you're getting from them, but OEL and Hughes are big wild cards - let's just hope they have some defensive awareness this season.

Up front we're going to score goals with this decent top-6 and have a very nice, younger, more refreshed bottom-6 full of good defensive forwards. The thing we're still lacking which separates playoff contenders from us is size in the bottom-6. JB has preached this before, it's not a requirement right now as we're not even scratching the playoff bubble, but now that this team looks to go forward, JB has to address this at some point because it'll cost us in the playoffs when we get bruised and battered by some big Western teams. We need a Pat Maroon-type player on our 3rd line. All we have right now is Podz and MacEwan and they're not going to be playing big roles or minutes with the team (yet).

Our top-6 is what it is - it'd be nice to have a Kopitar/Ryan O'Reilly-type top center but these are rare. We've got Bo, Miller and Brock who are fairly big bodies, they just don't play to it, but in the playoff bubble a couple of years ago it was great to see these guys crashing and banging around so we know they can use their size. Other than these guys, our forwards are relatively small so one or two big bodies in the future is surely what JB is thinking.

• Upvote 1
On 8/15/2021 at 12:50 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Our defence looks pretty stable to be honest right now, let's see how they perform this season (we've said this at the start of every season and it sometimes does, sometimes doesn't pan out)...

I think the defence rests on OEL - if he plays well defensively and doesn't give up too many chances, we're looking good. Poolman, Hamonic and Myers are fairly steady and you know what you're getting from them, but OEL and Hughes are big wild cards - let's just hope they have some defensive awareness this season.

Up front we're going to score goals with this decent top-6 and have a very nice, younger, more refreshed bottom-6 full of good defensive forwards. The thing we're still lacking which separates playoff contenders from us is size in the bottom-6. JB has preached this before, it's not a requirement right now as we're not even scratching the playoff bubble, but now that this team looks to go forward, JB has to address this at some point because it'll cost us in the playoffs when we get bruised and battered by some big Western teams. We need a Pat Maroon-type player on our 3rd line. All we have right now is Podz and MacEwan and they're not going to be playing big roles or minutes with the team (yet).

Our top-6 is what it is - it'd be nice to have a Kopitar/Ryan O'Reilly-type top center but these are rare. We've got Bo, Miller and Brock who are fairly big bodies, they just don't play to it, but in the playoff bubble a couple of years ago it was great to see these guys crashing and banging around so we know they can use their size. Other than these guys, our forwards are relatively small so one or two big bodies in the future is surely what JB is thinking.

On the subject of forwards, we do have four chances of having a cheap ELC forward coming in:  Gadjovich, Aiden McDonaugh, Danila Klimovich and Jackson Kunz.  They're all very big and use their size well. Kind of confirms through JB's drafting what you mentioned he has said about having more size in the bottom of the lineup.  

Size isn't everything though, I think that playing against someone like Hoglander and Garland is much much tougher for the opposition then a guy like Justin Bailey, that's 6'5 but plays kind of soft all things considered (love his speed though). 

In transitioning from their current projected status (i.e. a 1st round calibre playoff team) into an elite team, my guess is that the Canucks will entertain moving 1-2 of the following:

-Boeser or Miller 
-Hughes

For a legitimate top pairing shut down RD

IF, 1-2 of the following take leaps in their games and can fill the roles of the departed:

-Rathbone

-Podkolzin

-Klimovich

In facilitating a trade of some kind, I believe that Travis Hamonic (only one year left after this year on his contract) or Tucker Poolman (no NTC or NMC) could be used as part of a packaged deal with one of [Boeser/Miller or Hughes]. 

My best guess is that....

1) Podkolzin will prove to be a top 6 forward by the end of this season

2) Klimovich will prove that he will likely be ready for Top 9 NHL duty next season

Which will prompt the Canucks to

1) Trade [Boeser or Miller] + [Hamonic or Poolman] to NYI for Ryan Pulock + one of their RW's (Pulock will be signed before traded).

On 8/6/2021 at 4:32 AM, BigTramFan said:

We shouldn't forget about Jett Woo.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
On 8/2/2021 at 1:01 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

I’d go all in on Parayko.... even if it means.... (stop, drop, take a breath) trading Boeser! 

Parayko on our backend would take us from a pretender to a contender. 

How is trading BB make us a contender with only Parayko coming back?  Yes i'd take him over Myers, we'd be modestly better in the back end defensively.     Also think Myers and Miller are guys we need to consider recycling if we are to have a chance of keeping our window wide when the entire core is in their prime.   Miller is like Courtnall - a great player for us, that isn't going to be here that long.   JB has a tough job ahead of him.   This season will determine the future for at least two, maybe three players that we have to consider later on moving on from to boost our ELC guys.   Unless he's struck gold the last two years in the draft.     That's not very realistic.   But maybe he has - why we need another year to assess.  I don't want a two year window - rather a 8 plus year one like TB, WSH, PIT etc 

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

How is trading BB make us a contender with only Parayko coming back?  Yes i'd take him over Myers, we'd be modestly better in the back end defensively.     Also think Myers and Miller are guys we need to consider recycling if we are to have a chance of keeping our window wide when the entire core is in their prime.   Miller is like Courtnall - a great player for us, that isn't going to be here that long.   JB has a tough job ahead of him.   This season will determine the future for at least two, maybe three players that we have to consider later on moving on from to boost our ELC guys.   Unless he's struck gold the last two years in the draft.     That's not very realistic.   But maybe he has - why we need another year to assess.  I don't want a two year window - rather a 8 plus year one like TB, WSH, PIT etc 

If Woo manages to crack the lineup, that'll help solve alot of problem.  No, he isn't remotely the second coming of Lidstrom.  But what he provides/or could provide, fills a ton of holes on the now aging blueline.

• Hydration 1
On 8/6/2021 at 4:32 AM, BigTramFan said:

I could see a hockey trade with Rathbone.

We like our shiny new toys but you have to trade an asset to gain an asset and this team has two elite LHD puck moving defensemen already and Rathbone is beckoning to be added to that list as well.

If you could flip him for a true number one RHD or even a number two RHD it is probably in improvement to this team all in all.

Well, if I am trading Hughes it is to NYR

I am going for 

Braden Schneider, NYR 20221st and Filip Chytil

IMO, this is a big futures package for US, but truly sets us up nicely for years to come

This alone allows us to move Miller, Myers and a 1st for a #1 RHD

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 2:03 PM, Patel Bure said:

In other words, the Canucks could be playing this “cat and mouse” cap game up until 2024-2025 in which they simply apply freed up cap space on re-upping pending RFA’s (and Horvat).

What does this mean?   In my opinion, it means that the Canucks could be a perennial 1st round loser for the next 4 years (maybe a 2nd round appearance one year + a narrowly missed playoff birth in another year).  

[b]That’s how I see our current team.  While I think we have a lot of strengths in many different areas (forwards, goaltending, LD, 3rd defense pairing) I think our suspect “defensive prowess” on those top two pairings will prove to be too much of an Achilles heel as I don’t think that any combination of Myers, Poolman, or Hamonic will be able to bail out OEL and Hughes defensively at the top pairing or even 2nd pairing level........Atleast consistently enough. [/b]

I agree with the cat and mouse, or plugging one hole with a finger and another one appears, you are chasing each time without the reserves (assets) to be the best

I thought years ago it was wrong to trade valuable top picks (yet we still remained a bad team trading them and which now/soon could be stars), with those picks maturing we could have considered trading a aging good player and get more valuable returns to stay strong for years

I am ok with trading 2nd and beyond picks while a bad team with some talent to get veteran help, but against giving away 1st round with some talent to unload bad contracts you signed while still remaining a bottom team

I think the only time you trade a 1st round, is when you are 1 player away from winning the Cup (in my plan anyways)

Many roads you can take to get to a destination, we took one that I hope isn't just scenic and more enjoyable but leads to a dead end

If OEL turns out as bad as LE signing are we giving up more 1st rounds to offload? This was a big gamble for the future, it will help for this year

I have no doubt we will be a better team this year (But then again we've been bottom for over a handful)

I just want to see us the Best (As we all do)

3 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I agree with the cat and mouse, or plugging one hole with a finger and another one appears, you are chasing each time without the reserves (assets) to be the best

I thought years ago it was wrong to trade valuable top picks (yet we still remained a bad team trading them and which now/soon could be stars), with those picks maturing we could have considered trading a aging good player and get more valuable returns to stay strong for years

I am ok with trading 2nd and beyond picks while a bad team with some talent to get veteran help, but against giving away 1st round with some talent to unload bad contracts you signed while still remaining a bottom team

I think the only time you trade a 1st round, is when you are 1 player away from winning the Cup (in my plan anyways)

Many roads you can take to get to a destination, we took one that I hope isn't just scenic and more enjoyable but leads to a dead end

If OEL turns out as bad as LE signing are we giving up more 1st rounds to offload? This was a big gamble for the future, it will help for this year

I have no doubt we will be a better team this year (But then again we've been bottom for over a handful)

I just want to see us the Best (As we all do)

Good post.

I think obviously, the Canucks will have a lot of options at their disposal if any or more or Rathbone, Podkolzin, and Klimovich become big players over these next 1-2 years.  Canucks could.....

1) Keep those players and form a super team.

2) Use one of those players as a sweetener to move Myers and then take a massive run at a true top notch RD (I.e. Pulock),

3) Move Hughes, Boeser, and Miller for top notch RD, recouped 1sts, reduced cap space, etc.

Obviously, you only consider #3 if all of Boner, Podz, and Klimovich became superstars, but the bottom line for the Canucks is if those three players take a significant leap, the Canucks will have options to improve (I.e. going from being their current projected 1st round fodder to 2nd round++).