The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tucker Poolman | #5 | D

-AJ-

On 8/5/2021 at 10:13 PM, bigbadcanucks said:

I really like the Tucker Poolman signing.  He's listed at 6'4" 217 lbs. on the UND and Elite Prospects websites (rather than the 6'2" 199 lbs. that he's listed at on the NHL.com site), so I think we're going to be seeing a much bigger player than originally thought.  His father is the Athletic Trainer and Strength and Conditioning Coach of the UND hockey program, so it could be that Poolman has leaned out and has developed more of a "hockey body" since becoming a pro (as opposed to "filling out").

Beyond the size that Poolman brings to the team, he played a shut-down role at UND and was the stay-at-home guy for Josh Morrissey, and did a good job in that role.  As some others have posted here, Poolman looks to have some significant offensive skills in his tool box.

So I'm going to say it, if it hasn't been said already -- he's going to be what Chris Tanev was, except bigger and more durable.  That's my prediction.  At $2.5M cap hit, Canucks fans are going to fall in love with Tucker Poolman.

Wouldn't mind seeing Tucker Poolman grab no. 8.

I think this is a good signing as well. I know people freaked out about Stecher walking (a completely different timeline), but between Stecher and Poolman, it's clear that the latter can play harder minutes, while Stech has to be sheltered. I'm just saying we had been in need of upgrading our defense. This is one way of doing it.

Stecher was definitely nice to have, but he wasn't gonna come cheap either.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 10:42 AM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Rome actually wasn't that bad a depth D on a contending team.  Knew his role and filled it.  Poolman has the potential to be better.

I always thought Kevin Cheveldayoff was a pretty smart GM which leaves me scratching my head when he let him go. He wasn't expensive and had been in the Jets roster for I believe 4 years. What does Vcr see that Chevey missed after all those years.. It's wait and see for me  

• -AJ- changed the title to Tucker Poolman | #5 | D
On 8/20/2021 at 10:42 AM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Rome actually wasn't that bad a depth D on a contending team.  Knew his role and filled it.  Poolman has the potential to be better.

Poolman played well with Jets and will be  # 4 or  #5 here playing 18 - 21 mins ...

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Poolman played well with Jets and will be  # 4 or  #5 here playing 18 - 21 mins ...

He played well for the Jets, right ??  then why did Chevy let him go when he is in dire need of a D core for really low salary ??? I've always admired Chevy as a GM and tend to think Winnipeg are lucky to hold on to him, so why ???

7 hours ago, Fred65 said:

He played well for the Jets, right ??  then why did Chevy let him go when he is in dire need of a D core for really low salary ??? I've always admired Chevy as a GM and tend to think Winnipeg are lucky to hold on to him, so why ???

Could be all sorts of reasons, and we may never get a straight answer.

Could be Tucker wanted to move on, as a UFA he had that right. Maybe he likes what he sees from Vancouver more than he did Winnipeg. Maybe management wanted to go a different direction. Maybe he wanted to play somewhere that wasn't Winnipeg. Maybe he's been sold on having more opportunity here alongside what appears to be an exciting young team. Could be any of the above, a combination of the above, or none of em. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Could be all sorts of reasons, and we may never get a straight answer.

Could be Tucker wanted to move on, as a UFA he had that right. Maybe he likes what he sees from Vancouver more than he did Winnipeg. Maybe management wanted to go a different direction. Maybe he wanted to play somewhere that wasn't Winnipeg. Maybe he's been sold on having more opportunity here alongside what appears to be an exciting young team. Could be any of the above, a combination of the above, or none of em. 

He got a four year deal.  That's good insurance from his POV.  Traded some chance at a higher salary if he can move up the depth chart for security of term.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

On 8/31/2021 at 12:10 PM, Fred65 said:

When did the Jets come out and say they are letting Poolman go, or they don’t want him?

Have you spent much time in Winnipeg?

What about Vancouver?   

I’d bet after 4 years in Winnipeg was enough and he was looking for a change.  
Van has a young attractive team, an opportunity to play with Quinn Hughes and a beautiful place to live

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

When did the Jets come out and say they are letting Poolman go, or they don’t want him?

Have you spent much time in Winnipeg?

What about Vancouver?   

I’d bet after 4 years in Winnipeg was enough and he was looking for a change.  
Van has a young attractive team, an opportunity to play with Quinn Hughes and a beautiful place to live

Yeah Vcr streets were paved with gold ( Dick Whittington ) and yes I have spent time in Winnipeg, actually have relatives there, I was in Winnipeg earlier this year. Hockey players are mercenaries. They go where they get the best money and the best chnace to progress their career. Winnipeg is also on the Ontarion border where a good percenatge of players come from, just south is the US,  not a long drive ( have u driven  the road down to the US from Winnipeg.) In Winnipeg he plays  alongside Wheeler, Schiefle & Hellibuck.  Having said all that I wouldn't want to live there :lol:  The Jets did not wish to re-sign him

Edited by Fred65

On 8/20/2021 at 9:50 AM, Dazzle said:

I think this is a good signing as well. I know people freaked out about Stecher walking (a completely different timeline), but between Stecher and Poolman, it's clear that the latter can play harder minutes, while Stech has to be sheltered. I'm just saying we had been in need of upgrading our defense. This is one way of doing it.

Stecher was definitely nice to have, but he wasn't gonna come cheap either.

image.thumb.png.bd7a3c6b91deb88efcf9b5dca576ddc9.png
they had pretty similar results last year. Stecher better offensively but defensively they’re pretty close. Slight edge to poolman

this model is supposed to adjust for quality of competition and usage, but I will still note that Poolman was given far tougher assignments than stecher was. 

in terms of play style, stecher is definitely a better puck carrier but Poolman will win more battles in front of the net and in the corners. Both are above average skaters. Poolman loves to take wristers from the point where as stech was better at walking the line. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...