The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tucker Poolman | #5 | D

-AJ-

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

that reminds me of when I moved out here from SK, I saw a big tree and was blown away :lol:

Off topic, but I must say Saskatoon is one of my all time favourite cities.  Just beautiful.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Off topic, but I must say Saskatoon is one of my all time favourite cities.  Just beautiful.  

Paris of the Prairies, as they say. Regina is the literal opposite. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I'd settle for that.  Cheveldayoff didn't resign the guy despite rebuilding his own blue line in Winnipeg

Personally, I think Dillon was the upgrade on Poolman (and Forbort), and I would be prepared to say that Dillon is no doubt a better Dman than Poolman.  They are both defensively oriented but Dillon's ability to play a physical game while also being respectably able to get the puck out of the Dzone is superior.

One could argue that Schmidt was an upgrade on Poolman as well, but Schmidt has such a different playing style and role that I think his addition to the Jets' blue line had more to do with bringing more speed and puck carrying ability to their D core than being a knock on a guy like Poolman.  Jury's still out if Poolman will be a more effective Dman than Schmidt with the Canucks, but his playing style is probably better suited to several of the LHD the Canucks have than Schmidt was (although I was content with seeing whether Schmidt could bounce back this year).

Poolman looks to me to be a poor man's Chris Tanev.  He's not as skilled with the puck as Tanev (I think Tanev was a bit underrated in this respect) but his defensive playing style is more similar to Tanev than a guy like Hamonic.  I suspect Poolman may get a long look alongside Hughes though he may pair well with OEL or Rathbone also, depending on how things come together.  I don't think Poolman would be good with Juolevi, but I could be wrong.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Personally, I think Dillon was the upgrade on Poolman (and Forbort), and I would be prepared to say that Dillon is no doubt a better Dman than Poolman.  They are both defensively oriented but Dillon's ability to play a physical game while also being respectably able to get the puck out of the Dzone is superior.

One could argue that Schmidt was an upgrade on Poolman as well, but Schmidt has such a different playing style and role that I think his addition to the Jets' blue line had more to do with bringing more speed and puck carrying ability to their D core than being a knock on a guy like Poolman.  Jury's still out if Poolman will be a more effective Dman than Schmidt with the Canucks, but his playing style is probably better suited to several of the LHD the Canucks have than Schmidt was (although I was content with seeing whether Schmidt could bounce back this year).

Poolman looks to me to be a poor man's Chris Tanev.  He's not as skilled with the puck as Tanev (I think Tanev was a bit underrated in this respect) but his defensive playing style is more similar to Tanev than a guy like Hamonic.  I suspect Poolman may get a long look alongside Hughes though he may pair well with OEL or Rathbone also, depending on how things come together.  I don't think Poolman would be good with Juolevi, but I could be wrong.

I agree on all counts. But if Poolman can play similar to Rome it would help. I always liked Dhillon but he is a lefty

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

Top minute guy in hard matchups.  22-25 minutes/ game against top guys like McDavid and Draisatl.  He plays a role like Tanev.  Very important to winning.  

Who are you, and what have you done to Alflives?  This post should have included "craparoo" in there somewhere.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Having two defensive Dmen who play different styles will give lots of options for Shaw to create matchup hell for opponents, especially in the playoffs.  Playing OEL with either Hamonic or Poolman will create a very effective shutdown pairing.  I'm looking forward to see him in action.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

One scouting report suggested he could be a player like Byfuglien who could also do spot duty as a forward.

That would be interesting if Schenn clicked on a 3rd pairing creating a safe workplace for Rathbone.  Instead of hanging to choose between Poolman and Schenn each game, you could throw Poolman in on the 4th line as a winger instead of Highmore.  

4 hours ago, Provost said:

One scouting report suggested he could be a player like Byfuglien who could also do spot duty as a forward.

That would be interesting if Schenn clicked on a 3rd pairing creating a safe workplace for Rathbone.  Instead of hanging to choose between Poolman and Schenn each game, you could throw Poolman in on the 4th line as a winger instead of Highmore.  

That kind of double threat can never be a bad thing. 

On 7/28/2021 at 5:04 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

I think people are going to look back on this as another very good deal. Not sure where the freaking out is coming from but I know I'm happy. 

Cough...Drance...cough...Paterson...cough...Sekeres...cough...Price...cough...Taylor...cough...Dhaliwal...cough...all of 650......You know, the usual suspects.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Cough...Drance...cough...Paterson...cough...Sekeres...cough...Price...cough...Taylor...cough...Dhaliwal...cough...all of 650......You know, the usual suspects.

I am so disgusted by Dhal. Every time JP comes on, so offersheet, offersheet Blah. They are all such garbage. But Drance should be banned from this board.

Budget-Tanev, perfect for what we need. We've got Hamonic to look after Hughes' mistakes, now we've got Poolman to do the same for Ekman-Larsson. I think they'd be the perfect top/2nd pairing to be honest.

Meanwhile pair Myers with a kid like Rathbone or Juolevi as he's been a brilliant mentor in the past.

Poolman will have his work cut out for him under Green's gambly structure so we really need to defend as a 5-man unit because you know OEL will be caught up ice a lot.