The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Are the Canucks now a legitimate playoff team?

Rate this topic

Will the Canucks make the playoffs next year?  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the draft and free agency complete and our team pretty much set for 2021-2022, do you feel Benning has done enough to get us into the playoffs?  Where do you think we finish in the Pacific Division?  

I think we are a legit playoff team as of today and will finish second to Vegas in the Pacific Division...

• Thanks 1

We've improved, at least on forward, and the division isn't great.

If Demko has a strong year I wouldn't be surprised if we made the playoffs.

Let's just hope this defense is better on the ice than on paper.

• Hydration 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

With the draft and free agency complete and our team pretty much set for 2021-2022, do you feel Benning has done enough to get us into the playoffs?  Where do you think we finish in the Pacific Division?  

I think we are a legit playoff team as of today and will finish second to Vegas in the Pacific Division...

Agreed. We've somehow got more scoring, a much more robust and deep defense, and a better backup goalie all for basically a 1st round pick lol. 

Ngl I'm extremely impressed- regardless of how this plays out, JB worked magic this offseason. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Burr 1

1 minute ago, Father Ryan said:

Yes, we are. The depth is there, the scoring is there, the goaltending is there, the D is...well, somewhat there. It's not so much the players themselves, it's the way the team fits together now. Garland moves TP down to 3rd line...where he belongs. Dickinson (once signed) moves Sutter down to 4th line, where he belongs. Highmore and Motte are now 4th line, where they belong. OEL moves Huggy down to 2nd pairing...where he is not so overwhelmed, ie where he belongs. This, to me, is the main improvement. So, yeah, we are playoff bound this year. Vegas? honestly, a little worse. Edmonton? they're gonna be in a lot of 6-5 games, and probably lose a bunch of them. Calgary? they just keep sliding. LA? not this upcoming season, but maybe next season. Seattle? opposite of Edmonton, a lot of 1-0 or 2-1 games. Anaheim? San Jose? getting worse, especially San Jose.

Good take, agreed on all of it

• Hydration 1

2 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

We should be as long as we are not decimated with injures especially on the blueline. Not gonna lie, this blue line scares me.

OEL-MEYERS

HUGGES- HAMONIC 

is a decent top 4. With a combination of Joulevi, Poolman, Rathbone and Schenn should be able to make a decent third pairing. 

• Like 1

They should be imo. The only lock is Vegas.

Edmonton's defense is worse, but they may outscore their problems. Calgary continues to flounder in no man's land, seemingly forever pushing back their inevitable rebuild. Anaheim shouldn't be a threat. LA might surprise, they've got a lot of young talent with some savvy vets. San Jose is a wildcard, but also pushing back against their inevitable rebuild. Seattle's a wild card, lots of summer left. 

• Like 1

Easy yes. This is the first time in we are actually going to ice a full NHL roster

Look at our trash division. We been adding for the last week. Everyone else except LA is being neutral or losing more than they are gaining. 

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Yes. 3 reasons.

1. Improvement from within. The young core will be better. Wouldn't be surprised if EP has a breakout season. 

2. Depth everywhere.

3. Pacific division.

The next question is, can we beat Vegas to make it out of the Pacific?

I think we can.   Vegas still doesn't have a franchise center.  They traded their Vezina goalie.  Lehner is good but I don't think he'll get them far.

• Hydration 2

CGY and EDM made some moves too, but not as impactful as the Canucks. Not just who they brought in, but who's no longer weighing them down

Eriksson

Roussel

Beagle

Virtanen

Edler (sorry eddie, but you can't score and you're slow)

Hawryluk

Michaelis

Schmidt

Holtby

Lots of depth, more size and speed. It's gonna be good.

• Upvote 3