The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Are the Canucks now a legitimate playoff team?

Rate this topic

Will the Canucks make the playoffs next year?  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Nate was never going to be a defensive stalwart. 

Yet I don't see any D-man remaining in the organization that I would trust more than Schmidt to match up against top-6 forwards on a regular basis.

I know Schmidt didn't perform as well as everyone had hoped for us but he wasn't a bum and if we're expecting the team/players to have a bounce-back in a more "normal" year next season, I don't see why Schmidt wouldn't fall under that category.

Edited by kanucks25

In the Pacific Division, yes the Canucks are a legitimate playoff team.  Benning has made moves to improve the second line, and really shored up the bottom six.  Now this team can roll lines and not overwork the top six.  Acquiring OEL means that they don't have to overextend Quinn's ice time, which will keep him fresher in-game and in-season.  Defensive lapses usually come from fatigue.  The biggest defensive signing in the offseason was Brad Shaw, who will work wonders with the parts of Quinn's game that need work, his defensive recognition and positioning.  Having OEL will be like having an on-ice defensive coach, whose game was very similar to Quinn's game and who QH will likely be willing to accept advice from.  The balance of left right is perfect, I think Shaw will work wonders with Poolman and OJ and turn them into an NHL caliber top-4 Dmen.    

Edited by canuckleheads fan
  • Hydration 2

If the roster looked alot like this....

Miller Petey Boeser 

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin

??? Sutter Motte 

Hughes Hamonic

OEL Poolman 

Rathbone Myers 

Juolevi Schenn 

Demko 

Halak 

...and it stays healthy then we might have a good chance of getting in. 

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Yet I don't see any D-man remaining in the organization that I would trust more than Schmidt to match up against top-6 forwards on a regular basis.

I know Schmidt didn't perform as well as everyone had hoped for us but he wasn't a bum and if we're expecting the team/players to have a bounce-back in a more "normal" year next season, I don't see why Schmidt wouldn't fall under that category.

thats OK we have to wait and see what the pairings and usage are, but I don't feel like we've declined at all on the defensive side of things. I liked Nate as a puck mover but we don't need him for that here. 

Free Agency is far from complete. We also haven't signed EP or QH at this point. Until that's done I'm not voting on this. 

We have made some significant changes but the weakest area of our team (Defence) still feels underwhelming. With that said i like the addition of size and some grit with poolman and Schenn and skill with OEL. If OEL can regain his form this will be a steal.

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

I'm going to be so upset when someone finally votes no. 32-0 so far that we make the playoffs. 

The naysayers are coming. They always do.

• Sad 1
23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

With the draft and free agency complete and our team pretty much set for 2021-2022, do you feel Benning has done enough to get us into the playoffs?  Where do you think we finish in the Pacific Division?  

I think we are a legit playoff team as of today and will finish second to Vegas in the Pacific Division...

I think the Canucks are a playoff team but are 8th seeded 1st round fodder as of this writing since our defense as a whole still lacks that top pairing shut down guy.....atleast in my opinion.   OEL, Hughes, Rathbone, and Myers are OFD PMD's while Schenn, Poolman, and Hamonic, are #7's, #6's, and #4's respectively. 

Having said that, IF the Canucks can sign Parayko in the 2022 offseason, then I think the Canucks could make some significant noise in the 22-23 season.   

Replace Myers and Hamonic with Parayko and Manson, and this team is a 2nd round++ team.  

Maybe it doesn't even need to be a superstar like Parayko.  Even guys like Murphy and Manson could go along way for this team.  

For right now however, a lack of toughness up front + a very suspect right side defense = 8th seed + 1st round exist.

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

With the draft and free agency complete and our team pretty much set for 2021-2022, do you feel Benning has done enough to get us into the playoffs?  Where do you think we finish in the Pacific Division?  

I think we are a legit playoff team as of today and will finish second to Vegas in the Pacific Division...

Totally agree.  Stoked about this team.  

• Hydration 1

Defense does not look good.... we really need OEL to bounce back to form somewhat.

But the forward group is deep, should be able to outscore a lot of our problems. Plus weak division , they should get in. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

Last year we finished 5 wins out of the playoffs.  We were coming off the entire team having covid.  We were missing our top center for more than half the season.  With EP and Motte in the lineup for what they bring we would have won 4-6 more games.  We will have those two back, add Garland, OEL, Dickinson, Podkolzin, Poolman, Schenn, Halak.  We have lost only Schmidt and Holtby that were meaningful contributors at the end of last season.

Our team is younger, faster, bigger, and much better balanced in our top 6, bottom 6 and defense.

I say we finish 2nd in the Pacific and give Vegas a run for their money!!!  

• Hydration 3
4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Ironically enough, I think Schmidt would have been a great fit for our team this year.  Why?    

1) We will be able to roll out two solid power plays.  

2) We actually have two very good scoring lines now.

3) Given the above configuration, I think Brad Shaw would have encouraged more defensemen carrying the puck from the back-end.  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

CGY and EDM made some moves too, but not as impactful as the Canucks. Not just who they brought in, but who's no longer weighing them down

Eriksson

Roussel

Beagle

Virtanen

Edler (sorry eddie, but you can't score and you're slow)

Hawryluk

Michaelis

Schmidt

Holtby

Lots of depth, more size and speed. It's gonna be good.

Don't even give the AHLberta teams that much credit, especially the coilers. All they have done is lose talent and sign more guys to loui deals.
Coleman has 2 cups and his retirement deal to the highest bidder. and we all know edmontons offseason lmao

3 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Defense does not look good.... we really need OEL to bounce back to form somewhat.

But the forward group is deep, should be able to outscore a lot of our problems. Plus weak division , they should get in. 

I will have to agree with this unfortunately.   

That right side D is absolute urine if I'm being perfectly honest.   OEL-Myers has the potential to get lit up like a Christmas tree in my opinion.   Poolman is a 6th d-man while Hamonic is a #4.  Asking either guy to cover for Hughes on a 2nd pairing will be a very tall order.   

Our team is definitely be equipped for next season, but more work needs to be done as far as building a contender goes.   Replace Myers and Hamonic with Parayko and Manson and then we can talk about the 2nd round and beyond.

• Hydration 1

At this point, I would say they are, and probably one of the most improved teams in the league, so I chose yes.

However, you can never fully predict how a season will play out, injury wise etc, there's a LOT that can happen.

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

That right side D is absolute urine if I'm being perfectly honest.   OEL-Myers has the potential to get lit up like a Christmas tree in my opinion.   Poolman is a 6th d-man while Hamonic is a #4.  Asking either guy to cover for Hughes on a 2nd pairing will be a very tall order.   

Our team is definitely be equipped for next season, but more work needs to be done as far as building a contender goes.   Replace Myers and Hamonic with Parayko and Manson and then we can talk about the 2nd round and beyond.

Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. 

2 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Seems like a pairing that is going to be hemmed in quite a bit. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Every time i hear " covering for hughes " i cringe. If this man wants even in the 5m range he needs to learn its a two way position.

If we can just ditch this give up all the shots system we played, i bet the defenders won't look so bad :emot-parrot:

Edited by Mustard Tiger
  • Hydration 1