The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Are the Canucks now a legitimate playoff team?

Rate this topic

Will the Canucks make the playoffs next year?  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. 

Agreed, and like I said, I would love to be proven wrong here but I'm just not "seeing it" with that right side D.

I absolutely LOVE our forward group (although we need a bit more toughness up there), goaltending, and our left side D in terms of having three guys that should be exceptionally good at moving the puck up ice.  

That right side scares me though.  I love Schenn, but he's a 7th dman.  The only thing Myers can shut down is the toilet seat after taking a crap.  Hamonic is a #4 and Poolman is a #6.  

I don't know......I think we definitely get into the playoffs this coming season but this better not be a finished product.   

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Hydration 1

one of our biggest acquisition was hiring Brad Shaw. I think with our new found depth and new defencemen, it'll be interesting what we could do with a better defensive system. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This is a good hockey team!   Canucks as currently constructed have proven players throughout the line-up, but what excites me is that there are still players on our squad that have real upside potential.  People saying the defence isn't good enough are discounting the upside players like QH has.  Schmidt was miscast on the Canucks and dissapointing.  He's gone and OEL will be a significant improvement on Schmidt.  Players like Hamonic, Poolman and Schenn will be solid role players as defenders.    

• Upvote 1
  • Burr 1

2 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

one of our biggest acquisition was hiring Brad Shaw. I think with our new found depth and new defencemen, it'll be interesting what we could do with a better defensive system. 

Bled way too many shots this year, hoping he makes a big impact. Excited to see what he can do with Hughes.

• Burr 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I'm curious why people think our D is worse. I respect what Eddie brought and Schmidt as well. But perhaps we're taking a different approach, because for all that watched the games last year our defense was still a tire fire.

Here's what I see as why we are actually better

The game we are playing is clearly more possession and quicker outs. Our new Dmen (OEL, and either OJ / Rathbone) are all very good at the first pass and getting the puck out. They are definitely light years ahead of Edler and as good or better than Schmidt. Who frankly was over rated here. Good dman in vegas on a top pair with a high end Dman, not so good when forced to show his talent alone. 

Playing with the puck / possession means, less running around, less defense! The twins showed us this. If you have the puck you're playing offense - and that's what JB clearly is trying to address.

Each line has a talented puck mover, and a stay at home player with size

We brought in one of the best, if not the best defensive coach in the game from St Louis, Baumer nonsense is a moot now. 

I find it hard to believe our d is worse this year. To me it's light years better because of its make up and depth, not to mentioned proper coaching on the way.

• Hydration 3
  • Burr 1

7 minutes ago, JayCanuck10 said:

While I think we'll make playoffs this season, we won't contend for the cup.

Would love to see a Canucks / Colorado Western Final.....rekindle the rivalry

I think we can make playoffs. Division is still a mess.

Vegas and Seattle will be the ones to watch. We'll be jockeying with Edm and Calgary for the second/third spot. 

LA is the dark horse here. Is this the year their prospects take the next step.

This is how Seattle is looking so far. I think we match up pretty well except for the Defense. 

McCann-Gourde-Eberle
Schwartz-Wennberg-Appleton
Donskoi-Geekie-Jarnkrok
Tanev-Bastian-Blackwell

Giordano-Larsson
Dunn-Oleksiak
Soucy-Fleury

Grubauer
Driedger

Edited by DSVII

4 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I think we can make playoffs. Division is still a mess.

Vegas and Seattle will be the ones to watch. We'll be jockeying with Edm and Calgary for the third spot. 

LA is the dark horse here. Is this the year their prospects take the next step.

This is how Seattle is looking so far. I think we match up pretty well except for the Defense. 

McCann-Gourde-Eberle
Schwartz-Wennberg-Appleton
Donskoi-Geekie-Jarnkrok
Tanev-Bastian-Blackwell

Giordano-Larsson
Dunn-Oleksiak
Soucy-Fleury

Grubauer
Driedger

Seattle's Center depth is atrocious. Personally, I think Francis was tanking for number 1 overall next year or the following given who's coming. Gio at some point will fall off and who's to say he'll be the same without the same D corps. Personally, I see their D corps as very one dimensional. I actually think ours is stronger. But its going to be the center ice position that kills them in the end.

Edited by Podz19
  • Like 1
  • Burr 1

47 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They should be imo. The only lock is Vegas.

Edmonton's defense is worse, but they may outscore their problems. Calgary continues to flounder in no man's land, seemingly forever pushing back their inevitable rebuild. Anaheim shouldn't be a threat. LA might surprise, they've got a lot of young talent with some savvy vets. San Jose is a wildcard, but also pushing back against their inevitable rebuild. Seattle's a wild card, lots of summer left. 

I forsee the Coilers winning the division easily thus generating typical bravado from their fans only to see them tossed again in the 1st round haha

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Canucks (on paper) have a lot of depth now.  Plus the Pacific division teams don't seem to have upgraded much either.  So Canucks should be able to secure a spot.

I still see Edmonton as a one line team - Hyman-McDavid-Draisaital and their D did not get better

Calgary didn't really get any better

I like our chances

Edited by MikeBossy
  • Like 1
  • Burr 1

Anahiem, San Jose and LA did virtually nothing.

Seattle has an underwhelming lineup( today ).

Calgary replaced lost pieces with less talented ones.

Edmonton got worse and still has subject goaltending.

Vegas got worse, but is still pretty good. 

so, to make a long story short ( too late, I know) yes we should make the playoffs next year. How far we get is another thing. If we get hot at the right time, 2nd or 3rd round is not out of the question 

• Hydration 1

Unpopular opinion, but no.

The forward group looks solid. The top six especially looks good. Probably the best looking top six since the last time the Canucks were a legitimate contender.

The bottom six looks pretty solid too. Dickinson was a nice addition, as Podkolzin should be too, and adding Garland allows us the depth to drop Pearson down. I do hope Dickinson can add a little more production than he has in the past and improve his FO percentage, but still, pretty solid third line. A 4th line of Motte, Sutter and Highmore/Big Mac should be pretty darn good as well, and able to play some hefty defensive minutes. A little more truculense would be nice, but if Brandon Sutter is on your 4th line, you're in good shape.

The defence is where my big problem lies. It was important to not only resign Hamonic but to add another defensively solid top 4 RHD to play with OEL, and we failed to do that. Overpaid for a bottom pairing Dman in Poolman and are now expecting Myers to be able to play on the top pairing with OEL. I just don't see that working, and I think it's going to cost us pretty significantly. I had some faith that OEL would be able to perform up to the task and do his part to shut down other teams best players if he had the right partner beside him (Larsson?), but the options simply weren't out there, and I think it's going to be the difference between us being a playoff team and being on the outside looking in yet again.

I do like the Halak signing. Demko/Halak should be a nice tandem, but they're going to be under siege. 

• Hydration 2