The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Are the Canucks now a legitimate playoff team?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

Will the Canucks make the playoffs next year?  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Podz19 said:

you are totally ignoring the lack of logic in your post. carry on 

smh

1 minute ago, Podz19 said:

you are totally ignoring the lack of logic in your post. carry on 

smh

-I am of the opinion that it's HIGHLY unlikely either of Parayako and Klingberg choose not to test free agency and see what other offers are out there.   

-I am of the opinion that our current defense is not a championship calibre defense and that clearing Myers' salary would give us a multitude of options in getting to that level regardless of whether that path involves Parayako or Klingberg.  

-Given that we have OEL + an emerging Jack Rathbone (nothing is guaranteed, but the kid looks like he'll develop into a solid PMD), I am of the opinion that we have a far bigger need in having a top pairing shut down guy to give us a far more well rounded defense.   

-I am of the opinion that we need a healthy pipeline of prospects to ensure a solid future.  Hence, the importance of recouping a 1st round pick.   

If my logic is off here then so be it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

You might be right, but the Devils do want Quinn quite badly from what I understand, and recouping both a 1st and getting rid of Myers would be a huge advantage.  

You're right though - none of this will happen and so it is a pipe dream.  Still - I am of the opinion that 

1) Our defense is not where it needs to be in terms of becoming a true contender

2) We need a top pairing calibre shut down defenseman that can take on the toughest assignments

3) Tyler Myers isn't a bad defenseman, but he isn't worth 6 million dollars, and that being freed of his salary after this coming season and putting that money to better use would go a LONG ways.

Alternatively: Podkolzin earns a top 6 spot and we end up with an extra top 6 forward at the end of next year (Miller or Garland possibly). Myers and our extra top 6 forward gets moved to recoup the pick you want + create cap space to sign that #1 shutdown d-man. 

imo a situation like that is more likely than trading Hughes. Now if the Devils ended up in the sweepstakes for Wright or Bedard.. all options should be on the table to pry their 1st rounder haha. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I should mention this more on the 'proposals' forum but I have a suggestion that excites me (but may not excite you).   

Hughes and Myers to the Devils for Ryan Graves, PK Subban, and a 1st round pick.  

The Devils get their wish of reuniting the three Hughes', while we achieve the following:

1) We get a true top pairing shut down guy in Ryan Graves

2) We recoup one of the 1st round picks that we've given up over these past few years

3) After one year of PK Subban, he comes off the books, and we go HARD after one of Colton Parayko or John Klingberg based on our needs at time (i.e. if we feel like we need more offense from the back-end or if we need another tough stay-at-homer).    

The above trade, in my opinion, is what would REALLY set us up for signficant playoff success.   

It’s a pretty short list of players/picks that you should trade Quinn for. None of these are one of them. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I hope we run 3 lines this year and pair up two good players each line. 

Petey/Bo

Horvat/Garland 

Miller/Hoglander 

That would allow us to fill out the rest of those lines with Pearson, Podkolzin, Dickinson/Motte. 

if we can add one more offensive guy to that group via discount “Tatar” we could really be on to something. That would slide Dickinson, Motte, Sutter as a pure shutdown line and PK duties. 

6 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

-I am of the opinion that it's HIGHLY unlikely either of Parayako and Klingberg choose not to test free agency and see what other offers are out there.   

-I am of the opinion that our current defense is not a championship calibre defense and that clearing Myers' salary would give us a multitude of options in getting to that level regardless of whether that path involves Parayako or Klingberg.  

-Given that we have OEL + an emerging Jack Rathbone (nothing is guaranteed, but the kid looks like he'll develop into a solid PMD), I am of the opinion that we have a far bigger need in having a top pairing shut down guy to give us a far more well rounded defense.   

-I am of the opinion that we need a healthy pipeline of prospects to ensure a solid future.  Hence, the importance of recouping a 1st round pick.   

we can get a lot more for Hughes than a first round pick.

if even consider moving hughes it has to be for a guy like Provorov. Not for a who knows draft pick and a dice roll. 

Again, it makes no sense to give up Hughes if you want Parayko. You don’t need to do it at all. 

All you do is simply wait and see if a deal can be reached then move Myers.

Team is better off, Myers is gone, you have Parayko and kept Hughes 

I don’t really understand why you want to move hughes, that seems to be your goal here, since it doesn’t even need to be done 

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

CGY and EDM made some moves too, but not as impactful as the Canucks. Not just who they brought in, but who's no longer weighing them down

Eriksson

Roussel

Beagle

Virtanen

Edler (sorry eddie, but you can't score and you're slow)

Hawryluk

Michaelis

Schmidt

Holtby

Lots of depth, more size and speed. It's gonna be good.

Hawryluk was good. Wish we had kept him.  

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

It’s a pretty short list of players/picks that you should trade Quinn for. None of these are one of them. 

Agreed but there are more elements involved in what I proposed.

-Getting rid of Myers’ long term contract for what has been very average value

-Recouping a 1st

-Getting a player (Ryan Graves) that addresses our biggest defensive need right now (top pairing shut down guy)

-Having a ton of cap space on July 2022 when we’d walk away from PK Subbann, and invest that money into areas that would allow us to take the next step, whether it’s Parayako, Klingberg, or whoever.  

Don’t get me wrong....I agree that losing Quinn Hughes would suck, but my biggest concern right now is that our current defensive configuration isn’t that great, and that the presence of Myers’ 6 million dollar contract could serve as an obstacle in us eventually taking the next step.  Hughes is an extraordinary PMD, but OEL is as well.......and Rathbone looks like he could be headed this way as well (good calculated risk....and again, even if he doesn’t take that step, then maybe you go HARD after Klingberg in the summer of 2022).

Out of the following three defenses, which one is the worst?

2022-2023:

A:

Graves-Klingberg

OEL-Hamonic

Rathbone-Poolman

B:

OEL-Parayko

Graves-Hamonic

Rathbone-Poolman

C:

OEL-Hamonic or OEL-Myers

Hughes-Myers Or Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Poolman

I think B > A > C........but maybe that’s just me.

I think A and B are championship level defenses while C is the type of defense that would get caved in......but maybe that’s just me.

11 minutes ago, Podz19 said:

we can get a lot more for Hughes than a first round pick.

if even consider moving hughes it has to be for a guy like Provorov. Not for a who knows draft pick and a dice roll. 

Again, it makes no sense to give up Hughes if you want Parayko. You don’t need to do it at all. 

All you do is simply wait and see if a deal can be reached then move Myers.

Team is better off, Myers is gone, you have Parayko and kept Hughes 

I don’t really understand why you want to move hughes, that seems to be your goal here, since it doesn’t even need to be done 

Fair enough

4 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Agreed but there are more elements involved in what I proposed.

-Getting rid of Myers’ long term contract for what has been very average value

-Recouping a 1st

-Getting a player (Ryan Graves) that addresses our biggest defensive need right now (top pairing shut down guy)

-Having a ton of cap space on July 2022 when we’d walk away from PK Subbann, and invest that money into areas that would allow us to take the next step, whether it’s Parayako, Klingberg, or whoever.  

Don’t get me wrong....I agree that losing Quinn Hughes would suck, but my biggest concern right now is that our current defensive configuration isn’t that great, and that the presence of Myers’ 6 million dollar contract could serve as an obstacle in us eventually taking the next step.  Hughes is an extraordinary PMD, but OEL is as well.......and Rathbone looks like he could be headed this way as well (good calculated risk....and again, even if he doesn’t take that step, then maybe you go HARD after Klingberg in the summer of 2022).

Out of the following three defenses, which one is the worst?

2022-2023:

A:

Graves-Klingberg

OEL-Hamonic

Rathbone-Poolman

B:

OEL-Parayko

Graves-Hamonic

Rathbone-Poolman

C:

OEL-Hamonic or OEL-Myers

Hughes-Myers Or Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Poolman

I think B > A > C........but maybe that’s just me.

I think A and B are championship level defenses while C is the type of defense that would get caved in......but maybe that’s just me.

I think you’re overrating Graves a considerable bit, and that’s a huge gamble to be banking on landing one of those guys as FA. It’s not even a certainty they’ll get there. 

You could swap Hughes for Rathbone and I’d still be hesitant to make this deal but I think it would be more in the ballpark 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

If you were to trade Quinn and I’m just saying this theoretically as I think moving him would be up there as one the biggest mistakes in franchise history. 

You get a package of at least a 1st round draft pick, 2 blue chip prospects and a good young player. Minimum

• Like 1

A lot of the usual suspects "concerned about the defense" and most of that predicated on the worst of all the players in the dcorp.  

"Myers is a train wreck"

"Only if OEL has a rebound year"

"Poolman was awful last year"

"Harmonic isnt really a top 4d"

Blah blah blah

I think they've built a solid dcorp with a mix of high offensive ability and solid, though not spectacular defensive dmen.  All backed a goalie who can absolutely shut the door when he's on.

I really don't see the doom and gloom.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

A lot of the usual suspects "concerned about the defense" and most of that predicated on the worst of all the players in the dcorp.  

"Myers is a train wreck"

"Only if OEL has a rebound year"

"Poolman was awful last year"

"Harmonic isnt really a top 4d"

Blah blah blah

I think they've built a solid dcorp with a mix of high offensive ability and solid, though not spectacular defensive dmen.  All backed a goalie who can absolutely shut the door when he's on.

I really don't see the doom and gloom.  

1 hour ago, buddhahoodlum said:

I think with Shaw on board we will have a better defensive structure and won't bleed chances against.

Additionally, we've got 4 solid fwd lines, meaning we can roll'em & distribute mins more evenly.

This should decrease gaps, improving the odds our D & fwds are playing with synergy & cooperation.

2 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

We know that could never happen as your proposals are always spot on and you have proven to be an excellent evaluator of talent. /s

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Would definitely be a tough pill to swallow, but

1) recouping a 1st

2) Getting Myers off the books free and clear

3) Getting a legit top pairing match-ups guy in Graves

4) Walking from PK and then going HARD after one of Parayako or Klingberg in the 2022 off-season with all that freed up money

would EASILY put us on a MUCH higher trajectory afterwards.   Wouldn't even be close.  

Perhaps it's just me, but I'm not entirely sold on our defense right now due to a lack of a top pairing shut down guy (at least how it appears to me).  Myers being on the books will also prevent us from making the upgrades that we'd truly need to get to that next level.  While it's possible that I'm wrong, I think counting on guys like Myers and Hamonic to defensively bail out OEL and Hughes will be a tall ask.  

What is this love affair some posters here have for collecting picks? If we trade Quinn and get back a first there's no guarantee he won't be a bust. You'll say but drafting is Benning's strong suit but he's had his share of misses too. Quinn is a known quantity, aka a potential star in the making. How many draft picks do we need to accumulate? 

Need a solid training camp, get the guys to gel as a team. Several guys need to improve like QH, Demko, Hog, and hope OEL can be the top D that they are hoping for.  Podz can be another rookie surprise, he was already playing with men in Russia, if I'm not mistaken. 

More depth now for a full season at all positions. 

The season is going to be exciting.  JB did everything he could. Not everything will work out, but you can't fault him for not trying. AQ opened his wallet and allowed this rebuild. 

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He averaged over 18 minutes a night in the regular season last year and over 21 minutes in the playoffs. What makes you believe he will regress to only 12-15 minutes a night in Vancouver?

Because Green has OEL , Myers and Hughes ahead of him.