The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which team is better the 2021-22 projected Canucks team or the 2019-20 Canucks team that went to the 2nd round?

Rate this topic

Which team is better the 2021-22 projected Canucks team or the 2019-20 Canucks team that went to the 2nd round?  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is an off season filled with big moves and significant changes to the line up. The general concencus coming out of the 2020 off-season (before the season even started) was not very positive as the team lost more quality players than they gain.

This sentiment was proven to be right after a disastrous shorten season in 2021.

The 2021 off season, the Canucks made significant changes to their roster coming off of a disappointing season. The team on paper should definitely be a much better team than the 2021 team. It shows clear sign on management improving and looking to pick up where we left off in the 2020 bubble playoffs.

My question is, do you believe this current Canucks team is better than the 2019-20 Canucks team? This is more of an assessment on whether or not this team is improving.

Note: Obviously, I am aware this isn't a fair comparison as there could still be more moves to be made and if this Canucks team are in a good position by the deadline, we could pick up additional players to bolster the roster. I am just curious to see what your thoughts.

2019-20 Canucks Line Up in the buble:

Miller - Pettersson - Toffoli

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Roussel-Gaudette/Sutter-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwan/Sutter

Eriksson

Hughes - Tanev

Edler - Stecher

Fantanberg - Myers

Benn, Juolevi

Markstrom

Demko

2021-22 projected Canucks line up:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin*

Motte - Sutter - Highmore/MacEwan

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Rathbone - Poolman

Juolevi, Schenn

Demko

Halak

Edited by ruilin96
  • Vintage 1

2019-20 Playoff team was also a fair bit over the cap due to having both Boeser and Toffoli in the lineup. I'd take that team.

• Thanks 1

I'd like to see a sample size of roughly 10 games to get a good insight of the team.

Everyone was excited with the Schmidt trade last year and then look at what happened.

I do have a good feeling about the upcoming season. I will be there opening night

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

This current team is really good, especially up front.  We will not have guys playing too far up the lineup.  Or in over their heads, so to speak.  Plus, Green has options to move guys around in game depending on who is going good.  On D we have a better balanced group, who will fit together well.  And again, Green can move guys around depending on who has the best legs that night.  Goal is pretty even, but the team in front of the goalies is better, so the keepers will see fewer high danger chances.  

This year’s club is a 100+ point team.  

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
1 minute ago, Iron Fist said:

Marky and Demo were Unreal in the bubble

I love that team so much. So much heart and the goalies absolutely stood on their head. It was a line up that left it all out there on the ice.

• Like 1

Our 2019-2020 team was better since both Edler and Tanev could take on tough defensive assignments.   

Our 2021-2022 is better in almost every other respect, but that inability to shut teams down defensively could be a major red flag for us.   

As of this writing, we do not have a top pairing shut down defenseman and my hope is that an addition of Colton Parayko in the next off season will address what I think will be a very big need for us.

Prediction - 8th seeded playoff appearance followed by a 1st round sweep.   

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

Today's team is more rounded and has way more depth, but the 2019 team had a lot of chemistry for the intangible. I'd like to say today's team looks better on paper though.

The current team looks a little more purpose-built.  The bubble team was a bit of a Frankenstein's monster of components dating back to trying to give the Sedins "one last run".  

But I'm going to take this from a slightly different angle.

We've got addition by subtraction - getting rid of the &^@#ing inter-continental drop pass as the default go-to entry mechanism for our power play should make this team much more difficult to play against.

I'd take the odds with the current team rather than the bubble team.

I'd give the edge in forwards to the 2021-2022 team. There's a lot of depth there, and less dead weight.

Goaltending I'll give the edge to 2019-20. Marky was unbelievable that year, and when Demko stepped in while we were playing Vegas, he was lights out. I still like our tandem this year though.

Defense goes to 2019-20 and it's not close. Prime Tanev and Edler's last real good year. We have nobody capable of taking on the hard minutes that those guys had to take on.

So overall 2019/20 > 2021/22

Offensively we are better. Goaltending probably not while Marky/Demko is still a better tandem than Demko/Halak. On Defence is the part that is the biggest difference. I am not convinced we are better shutting down the other teams then the bubble. Our right side is the only area that scares me.  But overall in a 82 game season we will put up 95-102 points this season good enough for 2nd place in our weak pacific division. What a whirlwind of activity the last 10 days have been. Very exciting times ahead. 

49CECE49-2C62-44E9-8ACB-057C3F15F7E4.jpeg

• Haha 1

We are a team that can score far more goals but is also much easier to play against.  I'm expecting a high offensive output from the whole team, and for Demko to have an inflated GAA.

One thing to remember is that Markstrom and Toffoli had injuries during the entire playoffs and that we didn't have Toffoli for all season. Imho, OEL is the key here. If he performs the way he performed in Arizona the past 2 seasons, this team will have a hard time reaching its potential.

11 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

One thing to remember is that Markstrom and Toffoli had injuries during the entire playoffs and that we didn't have Toffoli for all season. Imho, OEL is the key here. If he performs the way he performed in Arizona the past 2 seasons, this team will have a hard time reaching its potential.

I agree. Regardless of everything else the team has done, OEL needs to be playing good smart hockey for this team to be at the level it can be. I do think he’ll be an upgrade over Edler and Schmidt but time will tell. Not worried about the fwds whatsoever. Horvat finally has his wingers, lots of competition for the bottom line with the youth coming up. Let’s see what other moves Benning may make and hope he doesn’t screw things up after doing fairly well with the Sedins advising. 

18 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

This is an off season filled with big moves and significant changes to the line up. The general concencus coming out of the 2020 off-season (before the season even started) was not very positive as the team lost more quality players than they gain.

This sentiment was proven to be right after a disastrous shorten season in 2021.

The 2021 off season, the Canucks made significant changes to their roster coming off of a disappointing season. The team on paper should definitely be a much better team than the 2021 team. It shows clear sign on management improving and looking to pick up where we left off in the 2020 bubble playoffs.

My question is, do you believe this current Canucks team is better than the 2019-20 Canucks team? This is more of an assessment on whether or not this team is improving.

Note: Obviously, I am aware this isn't a fair comparison as there could still be more moves to be made and if this Canucks team are in a good position by the deadline, we could pick up additional players to bolster the roster. I am just curious to see what your thoughts.

2019-20 Canucks Line Up in the buble:

Miller - Pettersson - Toffoli

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Roussel-Gaudette/Sutter-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwan/Sutter

Eriksson

Hughes - Tanev

Edler - Stecher

Fantanberg - Myers

Benn, Juolevi

Markstrom

Demko

2021-22 projected Canucks line up:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin*

Motte - Sutter - Highmore/MacEwan

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Rathbone - Poolman

Juolevi, Schenn

Demko

Halak

Wow I like this post this years by far

Our young core is done with losing if they get into the playoffs I expect great things