The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021-22 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Yes, I can't understand Cull playing Klim on the 3rd line with a couple of AHL plugs (although Luko is actually looking surprisingly good).  If he played him with a skilled centre like Petan, Klim could be doing magic out there.  Not to mention the improved value the Canucks would be getting for their development dollars!

Don’t underestimate Jarid (peanut butter sandwiches) < that was his nic name in Squamish cause the kids couldn’t pronounce his last name right .

truth.

Jarid historically gets a feel of all the players he sets with and then works with them as their best asset.

In the NCAA final (frozen four) 2017, Jarid scored a hat trick ..  was the happiest I’ve seen the kid,.  Until now, being so close to home and affiliated with his favourite team.

This kid is a beauty,.  If anyone was a fan of Ronning or Morrison , keep an ear out for Jarid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

There’s a real battle in Sbby for the goalie spot.  Silovs and Mikey.  It’s awesome how Benning has created competition at every spot and every level in our franchise.  Super GM.  

Yep, our goaltending is deep, talented, and very well coached. Both our guys in Abby are seriously underrated outside of our organization, though. Hopefully, we won’t get poached in the near future (Mikey) as in Lind and Gadjovich. Of course, our veteran D in Abby isn’t hurting either. But I’d prefer to see our farm populated almost entirely of prospects, like it has been in the two years prior. Maybe next year we can add some more of our young prospects.

2 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Cull has loaded up the top line with AHL vets, but I'm pretty sure Klim would do just as well on that line as either one of the wingers.  The organization would also  benefit much more out of him playing there and fast-tracking his development.

The AHL is where your top prospects should be playing top minutes. Loading it up with vets may help get a few more wins (debatable) but how is it actually developing the guys you need to develop?

Sounds like our farm team had a good night, couldn't help but notice that they just have a johnny canuck logo on their helmet...so an NHL team worth 980m needs to sell ads on their helmet and next year jersey but an AHL team doesn't??

Also, is it not a HUGE BLUNDER to move your farm team to Abbotsford and NOT have proper radio or TV broadcasting of said farm team for the local fans to watch!? Hope that gets rectified soon, maybe CHEK a good local company can step up to the plate? They did give Dhaliwal and Taylor a TV show when that stupid eastern $&!#show of a company just pulled the plug mid show with ZERO warning...

25 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The AHL is where your top prospects should be playing top minutes. Loading it up with vets may help get a few more wins (debatable) but how is it actually developing the guys you need to develop?

At least one of those vets is Bailey, who they also have learning pk, and who could still earn a spot on the big team.

5 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Sounds like our farm team had a good night, couldn't help but notice that they just have a johnny canuck logo on their helmet...so an NHL team worth 980m needs to sell ads on their helmet and next year jersey but an AHL team doesn't??

Also, is it not a HUGE BLUNDER to move your farm team to Abbotsford and NOT have proper radio or TV broadcasting of said farm team for the local fans to watch!? Hope that gets rectified soon, maybe CHEK a good local company can step up to the plate? They did give Dhaliwal and Taylor a TV show when that stupid eastern $&!#show of a company just pulled the plug mid show with ZERO warning...

It’s on AHL tv. 

I have given up on local radio because they are mostly no longer local - it’s mostly just recycled drek from US sports. 

12 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

It’s on AHL tv. 

I have given up on local radio because they are mostly no longer local - it’s mostly just recycled drek from US sports. 

I know its on AHL tv, but with paying for cable to watch and more importantly be able to record the Canuck games when at work (main reason we still have cable) I would like the same ability with being able to watch the baby Canucks. Holding out home maybe next year they will figure something out...

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I know its on AHL tv, but with paying for cable to watch and more importantly be able to record the Canuck games when at work (main reason we still have cable) I would like the same ability with being able to watch the baby Canucks. Holding out home maybe next year they will figure something out...

I believe the league has the deal with AHLTV, so maybe not. I think I’m paying 59 bucks for the year - spread over the season, that’s okay - wouldn’t have been okay when raising my kids though, every nickel counted! Nowadays, I figure if I do without a Starbucks, I can watch Abby AND also sleep occasionally. Of course, when I was still working, I needed that high octane Java.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I believe the league has the deal with AHLTV, so maybe not. I think I’m paying 59 bucks for the year - spread over the season, that’s okay - wouldn’t have been okay when raising my kids though, every nickel counted! Nowadays, I figure if I do without a Starbucks, I can watch Abby AND also sleep occasionally. Of course, when I was still working, I needed that high octane Java.

I know the feeling, having a 3 month old and been off work for 4 months with an injury... every penny does count but we can't not have Canucks games in our house, would be nice to have the baby Canucks too tho, maybe next year for us!

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I know the feeling, having a 3 month old and been off work for 4 months with an injury... every penny does count but we can't not have Canucks games in our house, would be nice to have the baby Canucks too tho, maybe next year for us!

If you ever wanted to cancel cable but still watch the Canucks, there are very reliable websites that don't install any malware on your computer out there.  I haven't looked into Abby games yet, but if I find them I will let you know 

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Don’t underestimate Jarid (peanut butter sandwiches) < that was his nic name in Squamish cause the kids couldn’t pronounce his last name right .

truth.

Jarid historically gets a feel of all the players he sets with and then works with them as their best asset.

In the NCAA final (frozen four) 2017, Jarid scored a hat trick ..  was the happiest I’ve seen the kid,.  Until now, being so close to home and affiliated with his favourite team.

This kid is a beauty,.  If anyone was a fan of Ronning or Morrison , keep an ear out for Jarid.

Klimovich - from Lukashenko to Lukosevicius lol

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Woo is a very cerebral player.  He’s hes bigger, strong, and skilled (and a bit mean) but he’s super smart!  Damn he’s going to be another Benning steal.  The losers who think Benning isn’t doing great are seriously LOSERS,  Alf’s fur is nimb from the scotch!  :lol:

Woo has been looking good.

I really like that 4th line of Wouters, Keppen, and Arsenealt. They started a bit shaky but by the end of the game Cull was putting them out with 4 minutes left in a 2-0 game. Shows a lot of trust in them.

I'm surprised because Wouters is undrafted, but he has some great hustle. Keppen looks fast for a big guy out there and can agitate, good replacement for Gadjovich so far...maybe they are building him up to replace Gadjovich? As for Vinny Aresnault....did anyone count how many huge hits he laid out in the game?? The guy is a monster. There was a sequence in the 3rd period where he destroyed 2 guys in one shift. The first guy he blew up he just stopped skating and stared him down after he was laying on the ice...pure intimidation. Love this guy. Protector of the team for sure!

What I really love is seeing a coach who is not afraid to use his grit guys to hit and fight and intimidate. Trent Cull gets that side of the game...where I really don't think Travis Green does. I think if Cull ever gets a chance in the NHL his team will be nasty to play against.

As for Justin Bailey...he may just be making a case to play on our 4th line and add some quickness to our PK unit. The guy looks great on the PK. So fast to get to the pucks and disrupt things....the big club could use some of this on their PK...

I've liked Silovs better than Dipietro to start the year too. It's Mikeys net to loose...but he may just lose it to Silovs...crazy!

Klimovich to me looks ok, and getting comfortable out there. You can see the mistakes here and there but for an 18 year old jumping right in, great job kid!!

Lots to like so far!! Especially the home jerseys...they look friggin awesome!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

If you ever wanted to cancel cable but still watch the Canucks, there are very reliable websites that don't install any malware on your computer out there.  I haven't looked into Abby games yet, but if I find them I will let you know 

thanks, appreciate that. The big issue for us is if a game is on early we all can't watch it live, that is where cable and being able to record is what we use. Do the sites you use to watch canuck games have john shorthouse as the commentator still!?

4 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Woo has been looking good.

I really like that 4th line of Wouters, Keppen, and Arsenealt. They started a bit shaky but by the end of the game Cull was putting them out with 4 minutes left in a 2-0 game. Shows a lot of trust in them.

I'm surprised because Wouters is undrafted, but he has some great hustle. Keppen looks fast for a big guy out there and can agitate, good replacement for Gadjovich so far...maybe they are building him up to replace Gadjovich? As for Vinny Aresnault....did anyone count how many huge hits he laid out in the game?? The guy is a monster. There was a sequence in the 3rd period where he destroyed 2 guys in one shift. The first guy he blew up he just stopped skating and stared him down after he was laying on the ice...pure intimidation. Love this guy. Protector of the team for sure!

What I really love is seeing a coach who is not afraid to use his grit guys to hit and fight and intimidate. Trent Cull gets that side of the game...where I really don't think Travis Green does. I think if Cull ever gets a chance in the NHL his team will be nasty to play against.

As for Justin Bailey...he may just be making a case to play on our 4th line and add some quickness to our PK unit. The guy looks great on the PK. So fast to get to the pucks and disrupt things....the big club could use some of this on their PK...

I've liked Silovs better than Dipietro to start the year too. It's Mikeys net to loose...but he may just lose it to Silovs...crazy!

Klimovich to me looks ok, and getting comfortable out there. You can see the mistakes here and there but for an 18 year old jumping right in, great job kid!!

Lots to like so far!! Especially the home jerseys...they look friggin awesome!

Love hear about Arseneau and how he plays, but I think he is on just an AHL contract so we would need to sign him to a 2 way contract and him go on waivers before he could play for us.

I really like how Cull has coached our farm team, was really hoping we would have given him an Assistant Coach job with us to groom a bit more and then maybe take over for Green. Green was never going to play guys with size, that has been evident and for us to succeed long term in a playoff run his coaching style will not bring us a Stanley Cup. I am intrigued by Coach Cull, but would we hire a 3rd AHL coach for our NHL club in a row?? Think they might want a more experienced coach once Green is given the boot

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

thanks, appreciate that. The big issue for us is if a game is on early we all can't watch it live, that is where cable and being able to record is what we use. Do the sites you use to watch canuck games have john shorthouse as the commentator still!?

Yes they give you the option to pick the home or away stream.  

I see what you mean about recording them and watching them all together after, I don't know where you could recordings otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Love hear about Arseneau and how he plays, but I think he is on just an AHL contract so we would need to sign him to a 2 way contract and him go on waivers before he could play for us.

I really like how Cull has coached our farm team, was really hoping we would have given him an Assistant Coach job with us to groom a bit more and then maybe take over for Green. Green was never going to play guys with size, that has been evident and for us to succeed long term in a playoff run his coaching style will not bring us a Stanley Cup. I am intrigued by Coach Cull, but would we hire a 3rd AHL coach for our NHL club in a row?? Think they might want a more experienced coach once Green is given the boot

I don't see Cull as an NHL coach yet but I think he's close. And honestly he is a short drive away if Vancouver flops this season and Green gets fired...i'd like to see him hired with the "interim" tag and see what he has. Now, I don't want it to seem I want Green fired. But if the scenario does happen i'd like to see Cull finish the year off for us.....I hope none of that happens tho and both our NHL and AHL clubs make the playoffs this year. So far off to a good start i'd say!!

You bet Vinny was the teams very first AHL signed contract to the team when they moved it to Abby. I was so happy they decided to drag him along with the farm. I've been watching him since he come to Utica a few seasons ago. I just really appreciate what he does for our young guys on the team. He makes it safe for them out there. I really mean it. Funny I just read this on canucksarmy about 10 mins ago and it echos what I say about Vinny. I'll attach Chase Wouters quote...

"He’s an underrated piece of this team through the early part of the season. Wouters plays a physical game that has fit in nicely on a fourth line that is looking to play physical on every shift and bring energy on each and every shift. The fourth line was excellent for the Canucks on Sunday. That line saw Wouters be flanked by Vincent Arseneau and Ethan Keppen.

“I thought we were good [on Sunday],” said Wouters. “I thought we got in on the forecheck, I thought we were physical, I think that’s something we can bring to the team and we have just got to build off things that we did good tonight and also work on some areas. That was a good fun game and it’s good to play with those guys.”

Wouters was asked how safe he feels with known tough guy Arseneau on his wing.

“Vinny is awesome,” said Wouters with a huge smile on his face. “We got thrown together here quickly and he’s always sticking up for his teammates. That’s something great about him, all the guys really respect him a lot for that.”

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1