The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021-22 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I don't see Cull as an NHL coach yet but I think he's close. And honestly he is a short drive away if Vancouver flops this season and Green gets fired...i'd like to see him hired with the "interim" tag and see what he has. Now, I don't want it to seem I want Green fired. But if the scenario does happen i'd like to see Cull finish the year off for us.....I hope none of that happens tho and both our NHL and AHL clubs make the playoffs this year. So far off to a good start i'd say!!

You bet Vinny was the teams very first AHL signed contract to the team when they moved it to Abby. I was so happy they decided to drag him along with the farm. I've been watching him since he come to Utica a few seasons ago. I just really appreciate what he does for our young guys on the team. He makes it safe for them out there. I really mean it. Funny I just read this on canucksarmy about 10 mins ago and it echos what I say about Vinny. I'll attach Chase Wouters quote...

"He’s an underrated piece of this team through the early part of the season. Wouters plays a physical game that has fit in nicely on a fourth line that is looking to play physical on every shift and bring energy on each and every shift. The fourth line was excellent for the Canucks on Sunday. That line saw Wouters be flanked by Vincent Arseneau and Ethan Keppen.

“I thought we were good [on Sunday],” said Wouters. “I thought we got in on the forecheck, I thought we were physical, I think that’s something we can bring to the team and we have just got to build off things that we did good tonight and also work on some areas. That was a good fun game and it’s good to play with those guys.”

Wouters was asked how safe he feels with known tough guy Arseneau on his wing.

“Vinny is awesome,” said Wouters with a huge smile on his face. “We got thrown together here quickly and he’s always sticking up for his teammates. That’s something great about him, all the guys really respect him a lot for that.”

Shaw would be the interim coach.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

At least one of those vets is Bailey, who they also have learning pk, and who could still earn a spot on the big team.

That’s fine. No need to use all vets in key roles though. Most will never make any impact at the nhl level. If they haven’t learned to pk by that age they aren’t going to suddenly become key pk guys in the nhl. Some of this young guys could if they start working with them early enough.

I really hope with Bailey being called up, it opens more room for Klimovich in the top six. He has been married to John Stevens since training camp. Stevens is a great veteran to bring along young players but is limited in his offensive creativity. Would like to see Klim get run with either Focht or Petan.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 8:41 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

That’s fine. No need to use all vets in key roles though. Most will never make any impact at the nhl level. If they haven’t learned to pk by that age they aren’t going to suddenly become key pk guys in the nhl. Some of this young guys could if they start working with them early enough.

I think there is a damned good reason to keep working with guys like Bailey. He had outstanding physical attributes: size, speed, strength - but he wasn’t elite enough offensively to make the NHL, so he had to work on his defensive game - and that included the pk. He would have made this team last season but for that hit from behind by Lucic, and then missing the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ray_Cathode said:

I think there is a damned good reason to keep working with guys like Bailey. He had outstanding physical attributes: size, speed, strength - but he wasn’t elite enough offensively to make the NHL, so he had to work on his defensive game - and that included the pk. He would have made this team last season but for that hit from behind by Lucic, and then missing the rest of the season. 

Bailey is already good enough to be in the NHL full time though. And he should be over guys like Chiasson and Highmore.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Bailey is already good enough to be in the NHL full time though. And he should be over guys like Chiasson and Highmore.

He was busy boning up on pk in Abby. I have the feeling he was sent down with that purpose. Canucks need piers, especially when they are 6’4” and they can skate like Bailey.

• Like 2