The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021-22 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

9 hours ago, mll said:

The NHL also uses RW as a the tie-breaker and then only ROW.  

Finishing 5th - Abbotsford wouldn't have made the playoffs in years past where only the top-4 of each division would have qualified to have 16 teams making the post-season (like in the NHL).  This season 23 teams out of 31 made the post-season.  This 1st round is the equivalent of a play-in round.  

The AHL is primarily a bus league and the divisions aren't equally split - they can't afford to spend on travel like in the NHL.  

In this new format the Pacific had 7 teams out of 9 make the post-season.  The best team got a bye and the other 6 are in those play-ins.  Team 2 vs #7, #3 vs #6 and #4 vs #5.

In the North and the Central where there are only 7 teams - the 1st 3 teams have qualified and the play-in round is between 4 and 5.  In the Atlantic where they have 8 teams - the best 2 are qualified and the other 4 are in the play-ins.

Some are arguing that the NHL should do the same and extend the playoff format and include a play-in round of either 1 game or best of 3.  Bettman is against it.  

I believe the NBA has adopted a play in round...

In all honesty I haven’t been keeping my eye on the farm very much this year but I’m very happy that they are locally in BC. That said could any posters give me their thoughts on what they think of Trent Cull as the coach? I heard last night that he put Klimovich in the press box and put Jet Woo on the 4th line. Those two are our best prospects (Podz of course too) on the farm so it’s easy for a fan like me to ask what is going on here? Can some Abby regulars let me know on what your thoughts are on Cull and if he’s the right guy for the job to develop these kids on the farm.

Tuesday when the Canucks were having their presser. JR said he was thrilled with the work that RJ has done. I am curious because I do recall RJ backing up Cull as a good coach. But if JR is so happy with Ryan’s job, why has there been such a short success of players graduating from the farm to the big club. This goes back to Utica and why prospects like Palmu and Jasek did badly but then blossomed in Europe. Would love to hear more from somebody who has been closer to the pulse of the farm team and what they think about the coach and development coach RJ.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Would love to hear more from somebody who has been closer to the pulse of the farm team and what they think about the coach and development coach RJ.

Follow Chris Faber on Twitter and also his regular posts on Canucks Army. Abbotsford is his beat.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

I know most people are so-so on Don Taylor but he just nailed it on his show just now. 1) What were the Abbotsford Canucks doing with the designation of players

the last two do or die games?

2) Why is there hesitation in giving Bruce Boudreau a proper extension from new management and actually criticizing his deployment of players? 

Of note: Rick isn't disagreeing !

me either!

Can't speak much of #1, haven't followed them much this year and this it's weird to not try and develop. The kids may not be suited for the NHL yet, but that's the point of the farm team. Not to say they should be handed minutes, but they should have longer leashes.

As for #2, it was a contract that was agreed upon signing. There was an option year, most likely designed because half a season probably isn't enough of an indicator of long term success. It's like a player upping his game on a contract year and there's risk of giving them term only for them to revert back. Rutherford wants him back on the agreed upon contract to have a full year to assess from training camp and on. The criticism is basically to explain to the masses that there are still flaws to the system that could wear down over time because the majority of the public is just seeing "Bruce, there it is". I am fine with how Rutherford and management is handling the situation. Both sides seem to want this to be done, but perhaps Bruce wants to know what set goals they want him to achieve in the next year in order for a longer extension and gives Bruce the opportunity to see if another team wants to poach him. Bruce's record is great in the regular season, but does his postseason record cause ay concern for management? We almost made the playoffs, but at the end of the day, we didn't and there was games that were lost that could've taken us there. That's the best and only view we have as an indicator towards what might happen when the next level arrives with Bruce, so we just need to see more.

15 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Very disappointed that Abbotsford is done, but even more enraged by the idiocy of the AHL playoff structure. Imagine playing all year to make the playoffs, only to be subjected to a best of three, with all the games away from home (and I would feel exactly the same if it had been Abbotsford that hosted all three). And the tie breaker was a headscratcher. Both Abbotsford and Bakersfield had 84 points, with Abby winning 39 and Bakersfield winning 37. Two more wins should win, right? Wrong. Bakersfield had more regulation wins than Abbotsford. Put another way, Abbotsford won more in overtime. Other AHL teams facing this best-of-three on the road are Bridgeport, Hershey, Rochester, Texas, San Diego and now Abbotsford.

Here's a radical idea: Adopt the NHL system with two conferences of two divisions. The top three in each division and the next two highest point total teams get in and all series are best of seven. It just might work. Otherwise, the AHL fans are stuck with a great game with a really stupid playoff system.

Well, you kjnow the AHL is a test bed for the NHL

So, expect stoopid playoff format to come to an NHL rink near you soon

13 hours ago, mll said:

The NHL also uses RW as a the tie-breaker and then only ROW.  

Finishing 5th - Abbotsford wouldn't have made the playoffs in years past where only the top-4 of each division would have qualified to have 16 teams making the post-season (like in the NHL).  This season 23 teams out of 31 made the post-season.  This 1st round is the equivalent of a play-in round.  

The AHL is primarily a bus league and the divisions aren't equally split - they can't afford to spend on travel like in the NHL.  

In this new format the Pacific had 7 teams out of 9 make the post-season.  The best team got a bye and the other 6 are in those play-ins.  Team 2 vs #7, #3 vs #6 and #4 vs #5.

In the North and the Central where there are only 7 teams - the 1st 3 teams have qualified and the play-in round is between 4 and 5.  In the Atlantic where they have 8 teams - the best 2 are qualified and the other 4 are in the play-ins.

Some are arguing that the NHL should do the same and extend the playoff format and include a play-in round of either 1 game or best of 3.  Bettman is against it.  

weird, I am in lockstep with Bettman

this feels uncomfortable

2 hours ago, Muttley said:

Oh wow! There were games there that goof-ball Green could have won earlier in the season, if you want to use that narrative. Bruce had a somewhat decimated roster

and he still came a hair away from the post season. My only concern for management is that they make sure BB comes back to finish the job.

Rutherford thinks the system now relies too much on Demko bailing us out. He was overworked by the end of the season and we lost a few games because Demko did look tired and we were still dependent on him (and Martin at the end, Halak too, but he wasn't good enough for this style). Also Rutherford criticized too much dump and chase or whatever which you could see the entire team getting a bit burnt out. Rutherford wants to see more control of the game and wants to see if Boudreau can do that.

Boudreau did amazing with what he had. We will likely see an overhaul on the roster and would like to see if Boudreau can continue this success. Boudreau's contract was signed with the intention to see how he does over a full year with the option put in play (in which we could've given him a mulligan if he couldn't turn things around this season). I would like to see him back, but I'd also like to see what he can do with a full training camp and a season that doesn't rely on Demko heavily as that simply isn't sustainable.

It's a message that the work isn't done yet. And if he doesn't want to continue to work to prove himself and earn an extension (which is the intent of the contract that he initially chose to sign), then doesn't that speak volumes?

• Vintage 2

On 5/5/2022 at 2:09 PM, lmm said:

well, I guess that ref will be promoted to Canuck games next year

Aghast at this!!! 

California is clearly the bain of our city’s existence in sports - especially when it comes to these “inexcusable” officiating moments!

Can anyone else recall all of the  “Devorski” or “O’Rourke” plagued tours of duty that our Canucks would experience through LA, Anaheim & San Jose in the past? 

Those teams had horribly skewed home vs away records, being influenced by a few overly-comfortable & clearly star-struck officials, who were biased beyond belief! They could be seen habitually laughing it up with the home teams in warm-ups, they would then see the ice through California-coloured glasses & the stats & a plethora of gaffs posted to you-tube, testified this was so!

The league needs to vett & move-along ingratiated & biased officials. Senior officials are bidding for preferred pods of assignment…& that makes for some very ingratiated characters, with the ability to influence outcomes - especially during the play-offs.

There SHOULD be some provision where teams can black-ball, at least 1 or 2 officials from working their games - with a sufficient case being made on their situational bias or incompetence.

By these standards, the Vancouver Canucks might never see either  Sutherland or O’Halloran work any of their regular season or play-off games - again! With that offering in effect,…just imagine how many extra games-won this could possibly mean to their regular season or post-season success? 

Edited by viking mama

The injustices just keep piling-up!

^Like another poster has asked,…was there even a coach’s challenge available on this? 

Just another question to pose to their coaching staff, I guess. 

I can’t help but believe that Lady Luck & Karma will eventually get together, for a season sometime soon, to swing that pendulum in favor of these teams & right the wrongs of the past - on the way to some highly-covetted championships & even more success! 

Edited by viking mama
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, lmm said:

Well, you kjnow the AHL is a test bed for the NHL

So, expect stoopid playoff format to come to an NHL rink near you soon

Bettman was just asked about extending the playoff format and he is completely against it.  There's not going to be 24 teams making the post-season like in the AHL with play-in rounds anytime soon.

Home ice was there for Abby on a platter but they pissed it away in those last two games of the season when all they needed was a single point out of a possible four and instead got embarrassed by a combined score of 13-1. That is not the way to end the season and build some confidence and momentum for the playoffs. Mikey Dipietro was comically inept in goal in both games but Martin was up with the Canucks and Cull has shown himself to be reluctant to play Silovs for some reason. To sum it up we lost that playoff series in Winnipeg before it even started imho. Of course it would have been nice to win a game but I myself had no expectation that we would take two of three in Bakersfield, a team that has given us trouble all season and a team that knocks us around physically a little bit. 

As for whether Trent Cull should be bake,. sure why not. He's a veteran AHL coach and he's always made the most of the hand he's been dealt by the Canucks organization as far as I'm concerned.

5 minutes ago, Cornerwise said:

Home ice was there for Abby on a platter but they pissed it away in those last two games of the season when all they needed was a single point out of a possible four and instead got embarrassed by a combined score of 13-1. That is not the way to end the season and build some confidence and momentum for the playoffs. Mikey Dipietro was comically inept in goal in both games but Martin was up with the Canucks and Cull has shown himself to be reluctant to play Silovs for some reason. To sum it up we lost that playoff series in Winnipeg before it even started imho. Of course it would have been nice to win a game but I myself had no expectation that we would take two of three in Bakersfield, a team that has given us trouble all season and a team that knocks us around physically a little bit. 

As for whether Trent Cull should be bake,. sure why not. He's a veteran AHL coach and he's always made the most of the hand he's been dealt by the Canucks organization as far as I'm concerned.

I think we should cleanse this organization top to bottom.  Ryan Johnston should be gone.  Once again it seems we have mishandled some prospects and again we gain little to no playoff experience.   Not sure why RJ is getting a free pass here, we have a veteran AHL squad and it still wasn't good enough

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, King Loui said:

I think we should cleanse this organization top to bottom.  Ryan Johnston should be gone.  Once again it seems we have mishandled some prospects and again we gain little to no playoff experience.   Not sure why RJ is getting a free pass here, we have a veteran AHL squad and it still wasn't good enough

I thought they had a pretty good season overall considering all of the injuries and the callups they experienced, especially toward the end of the season when all of those forwards were either injured or in Vancouver. Not having access to Spencer Martin for those crucial games in Winnipeg to close out the season was catastrophic for Abby and basically sabotaged their playoff chances. Dipietro played what were probably the two worst games of his career when it counted and the rest is history, sadly. I'm not sure what Cull could have done in that situation other than maybe throwing Arturs Siloivs to the wolves in the last game of the season. I guess in hindsight that's what he probably should have done but it would have been a gutsy call from a guy who has always been reluctant to play Silovs to begin with. That aside I thought Cull had a pretty good season behind the bench everything considered.

As to Johnston, while I wasn't much of a fan of his work in Utica I thought he did a really solid job of procuring roster talent for the farm this year with the move to Abby, thanks in great measure to Mr Aquilini opening up the wallet for the farm team for once. You kinda get what you pay for AHL wise, as in life. So  yeah, I might have booted RJ after last season, but I don;t think there are grounds to do so really now.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1