The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021-22 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

Even though he is a over-ager he had a great year in Kelowna last year. Looks like a good pick-up even though he is a longshot to ever be an NHL regular, Still, a guy with good size, some toughness, and good defensive skills could make an attractive call-up from time to time. I am kind of surprised no NHL team would (presumably) give him an NHL ELC contract.

Is there any chance a player would prefer to sign an AHL contract and not accept an NHL ELC contract?.  . 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, JM_ said:

nice - did you see anything that gives you hope he'll crack the NHL one day?

Not really..I remember watching a few WHL stars that were a bust over the years..Always so hard to predict...He might pass Woo soon.....He was a better WHL D man then Woo...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Wonder if he and Johansson could be a strong tandem (I'd be really surprised if Johansson made the team straight out of camp, even if our right D isn't that strong).
Maybe one could be a mobile puck-mover and Quinn hangs back and plays the defensive game to stabilize the pairing.

5 hours ago, wildcam said:

Not really..I remember watching a few WHL stars that were a bust over the years..Always so hard to predict...He might pass Woo soon.....He was a better WHL D man then Woo...

Was he though!  Take a 21 year old Woo and put him in the WHL and see what he can do before going there...Woo was a WHL star his draft year ... wasn't he?.   Wouldn't get too excited about this pickup - it's a long long long shot.   Woo well not a good pick, went right around where he should have gone based on the prospects at that draft, a little later then some thought just like Kole Lind.    These guys don't make it 50/50 of the time to play even 100 nhl games...That said more of JBs seconds should have.   Gadj looks to be the only guy of that group that did over a couple seasons ... and he's far from a regular.

Hogs, Demko ... who else did we draft in the second round that made it?   Second rounders likely don't make it - same as late firsts ... those are the odds.  But even then JB should of done a little better...   This guy should be dominating the competition at this point.   And will find it's a totally different level in the AHL - even though they are the same age.   It's good to add to the stable though.   And well you just never do know, some actually do better then their junior careers as a pro ... it's rare though. 

7 hours ago, JamesB said:

Even though he is a over-ager he had a great year in Kelowna last year. Looks like a good pick-up even though he is a longshot to ever be an NHL regular, Still, a guy with good size, some toughness, and good defensive skills could make an attractive call-up from time to time. I am kind of surprised no NHL team would (presumably) give him an NHL ELC contract.

Is there any chance a player would prefer to sign an AHL contract and not accept an NHL ELC contract?.  . 

Watched his fights ... not very good at it, getting tuned by 17 year olds ... he's not Kevin Bieksa let's just say that but at least he's a gamer.    Not surprised at all with the ELC ... only have so many guys you can have and just signed AK.    College guys are better targets, or AHL guys.    Agree he likely won't play in the NHL but at least he will be a good prospect for Abby, and now he can make a living playing hockey.     Defenseman always take longer to develop ... and over the years we've seen enough young vets from the AHL get a chance and earn a spot that it is possible one day he gets a chance.   He's got decent size, but anyone who's been to a junior game knows how small those guys are - that will no longer be an advantage for him.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Was he though!  Take a 21 year old Woo and put him in the WHL and see what he can do before going there...Woo was a WHL star his draft year ... wasn't he?.   Wouldn't get too excited about this pickup - it's a long long long shot.   Woo well not a good pick, went right around where he should have gone based on the prospects at that draft, a little later then some thought just like Kole Lind.    These guys don't make it 50/50 of the time to play even 100 nhl games...That said more of JBs seconds should have.   Gadj looks to be the only guy of that group that did over a couple seasons ... and he's far from a regular.

Hogs, Demko ... who else did we draft in the second round that made it?   Second rounders likely don't make it - same as late firsts ... those are the odds.  But even then JB should of done a little better...   This guy should be dominating the competition at this point.   And will find it's a totally different level in the AHL - even though they are the same age.   It's good to add to the stable though.   And well you just never do know, some actually do better then their junior careers as a pro ... it's rare though. 

Neither Schmiemann 20, 6'2  or Woo played in WHL at 21??? Schmiemann I like better then Woo in games I watched over the last 2 yrs..

That being said Woo seems career seems like its going backwards? Woo played wing in playoffs for Abbotsford this past season?

Thats not a good thing not being a top 4 D man by now for the Abbotsford Canucks? Woo has had a few injuries.. Lets see how Schmiemann looks in Abbotsford after 40 games..

I like Juulson RD 6'2, 25 now but he was a very good WHL stay at home D man.. Bowey 27 now was unreal in WHL maybe if he could of stayed in Washington his career would of gone in a different direction..

Brady Keeper 6'2, RD 26 might be that extra #7 guy or Juulsson 6'2, 25

• Cheers 1

At camp, I'd like to see Bruce look at Woo with OEL, and Juulsen with Hughes for a couple of intrasquads or exhibition games.  Would need to QO Juulsen, though.

Edit:  Juulsen is UFA next month.  All has been quiet on him so maybe he doesn't figure in our plans any more?

Edited by Googlie

Yes, a long shot, but I like his shot, and his point production 5 on 5 with a plus 25. Maybe his biggest advantage is that while he's a left hand shot, he seems to be comfortable on the right side. That alone might give him a look.

Bummer, I remember hearing this on the 32 thoughts podcast that there was interest in Curtis Sanford.

He worked so well with Ian Clark and really helped our AHL group in particular to Spencer Martin. Wonder who they can get to fill his role. 

A few years back Michael Leighton was a goalie at age 37 for Utica Comets and had a good relationship with that group. He currently serves as an goalie coach for I think the Windsor Spitfires. He likely has familiarity with Ryan Johnson. He would be a guy I would keep an eye on.

7 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I'm a little pissed that the laffs may get another one of our great coaches.... First Manny now Sandman gggrrrr.:picard:

Doesn’t matter no goalie is gonna wanna play there.

Sanford is gonna be tasked with turning someone like Blackwood into a number 1.

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Doesn’t matter no goalie is gonna wanna play there.

Sanford is gonna be tasked with turning someone like Blackwood into a number 1.

Probably true... I just hope that with the management changes in van, that we'll attract more talent in all phases within management and players going forward.  I'm hopeful... That this organization is coming into a new era, where we become the class of the NHL once more.  Lots of work to do first.  Cautiously optimistic.