The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Jalen Chatfield

hard working, smart, aggressive young defenseman  - best of luck to him.

we needed more experience, and arguably size, on our right side - but I like both our young undrafted RHD NCAA signings - Stecher and Chatfield were some solid scouting additions imo.

but the thing is - when the left side has 3 more young D - all of them 'higher end' - Hughes, Juolevi, and Rathbone, it's these depth guys that pretty much had to give in order to create balance.

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Jalen Chatfield was atrocious on D, at least in the NHL. He had some offense, but he was like Pouliot.

I don't think this is a fair or even accurate take on him.

You have to consider the conditions he was playing in - an absolutely depleted lineup post covid with a lineup full of replacement forwards.

And a rookie defenseman thrown into the worst case scenario - paired on a shutdown pairing with Edler - getting 33.9% ozone starts - exposed - or even worse, same circumstances except paired with another rookie defenseman (Juolevi).

He's a defense-first D prospect - that's what earned his opportunity at the NHL level (was never really an offensive defenseman) - not a pmd like Pouliot who had to transition his game to try to be a viable defender at the NHL level.

I would take any impression or outcomes of his last season with a grain of salt / and in context.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I don't think this is a fair or even accurate take on him.

You have to consider the conditions he was playing in - an absolutely depleted lineup post covid with a lineup full of replacement forwards.

And a rookie defenseman thrown into the worst case scenario - paired on a shutdown pairing with Edler - getting 33.9% ozone starts - exposed - or even worse, same circumstances except paired with another rookie defenseman (Juolevi).

He's a defense-first D prospect - that's what earned his opportunity at the NHL level (was never really an offensive defenseman) - not a pmd like Pouliot who had to transition his game to try to be a viable defender at the NHL level.

I would take any impression or outcomes of his last season with a grain of salt / and in context.

Definitely fair.

I think the defensive coaching deserves some criticism, especially with the Chatfield/Juolevi pairing. I guess the coaches just shrugged and said, "oh well?"

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Jalen Chatfield was atrocious on D, at least in the NHL. He had some offense, but he was like Pouliot.

I thought he was pretty good in most games and really bad in three games that ended up being blowouts last year. 

7 hours ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Sucks that we lost him but he would have a hard time leap frogging our current RHD.  Hamonic, Poolman, Schenn, Woo.  Got to think Woo is higher priority than Chatfield.

I do think he has NHL potential and loved his game when he got his chance.  Good luck, Jalen, hope you finally get to stick in the show.

Dont think ive ever seen a dman get caught out of position and lose so many battles more often than Chatfield... worse at defending than Hughes and thats saying something.

Doubt he lasts in Carolina.  

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I thought he was pretty good in most games and really bad in three games that ended up being blowouts last year. 

Nope.  There was not a single game where he didnt look atrocious.  I wanted him to work out but i started feeling sorry for how out of place he looked.  Pouliot could at least battle.   Jalen got wrecked all game long.

• Sad 1