The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets sign Brendan Gaunce

Glad he’s able to continue his career over here.

Seems like he never took managements advice of working on his skating. Every time it got brought up he seemed to get defensive.

Really the only thing that held him back from being a 4th line center at the NHL level IMO.

• Hydration 1

7 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Oh man... gotta feel for the guy... he derserves to be in the NHL... look at his stats... he was producing at a point a game in 2018-19 on a +3 but we just let him go.... following season he did alright for the AHL Bruins, scored a point in his only game with Boston... didn't get to stick! was he really that bad??? I hope he gets to redeem himself in Columbus now!

image.png.a83c5cbc60e68090710753db9a1fce08.png

If he was so good, why didn't the Bruins give him a chance?

We had some pretty weakish teams from 2015-2016, and he clearly wasn't ready. He was given probably far more chances than he would've because Vancouver hoped to salvage a former first round pick, and he wasn't very good. Let's be honest.

No need to cherrypick stats. His three NHL stints with Vancouver are pretty horrendous. He was an AHL player, but couldn't put it together in the NHL. Columbus is probably gonna put him in the farm team.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Oh man... gotta feel for the guy... he derserves to be in the NHL... look at his stats... he was producing at a point a game in 2018-19 on a +3 but we just let him go.... following season he did alright for the AHL Bruins, scored a point in his only game with Boston... didn't get to stick! was he really that bad??? I hope he gets to redeem himself in Columbus now!

image.png.a83c5cbc60e68090710753db9a1fce08.png

Well he got picked up by Vegas...

Knock on Gaunce was always his skating.  Top speed was probably league average and took him longer to get there.  He has a good shot and is responsible at both ends of the rink, but skating really held him back.  Hope Gaunce will find NHL success with CBJ, even if it's more in a depth role on a 4th line.

• Hydration 2

8 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

If he was so good, why didn't the Bruins give him a chance?

We had some pretty weakish teams from 2015-2016, and he clearly wasn't ready. He was given probably far more chances than he would've because Vancouver hoped to salvage a former first round pick, and he wasn't very good. Let's be honest.

No need to cherrypick stats. His three NHL stints with Vancouver are pretty horrendous. He was an AHL player, but couldn't put it together in the NHL. Columbus is probably gonna put him in the farm team.

True.... but can't be as bad as Fedor Fedorov who got fans super pumped that year... 

• Wat 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

Gaunce is a very fringe player. He's established himself well in the AHL, but come on.

Sutter >>>> Gaunce.

Everyone loves Gaunce.  But he’s not going to make our club.  Not even close.  

31 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Good for BG, always been rooting for this guy, I hope he can stick with the BJs.

So would you say he's committing to the BJs then? Too soon? :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

So would you say he's committing to the BJs then? Too soon? :ph34r:

However someone has to put food on the table and a roof over their head is not for me to judge 

• Hydration 1

I kind of felt bad for him. We told him to focus on the defensive side of the game and when he was getting close we signed vets for that role. I guess his development had something to do with that.

• Hydration 1

6 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I kind of felt bad for him. We told him to focus on the defensive side of the game and when he was getting close we signed vets for that role. I guess his development had something to do with that.

I felt bad for him too. His PPG in 3 games was clearly an anomaly. His game took a step back in the AHL that same year. Suffice to say, Vancouver didn't have any more time to wait for a 2012 1st round pick with limited skating ability.

And my god, look at this freaking page about Gaunce.

https://thehockeywriters.com/brendan-gaunce-the-next-ones-2012-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-built-nhl/

ETA = 1 year

Risk-Reward Analysis: :picard:

Risk= 0.5/5 Reward = 4/5

NHL Potential:

Second-line two-way center with leadership intangibles

Strengths:

*See “THW Close-Up” section above.
– Mature Leader with high character
– Strong Positioning
– Elite Conditioning
– Advanced hockey sense
– Imposing size
– Hard accurate shot
– Versatile

Flaws/Aspects He Needs To Work On:

– Improve skating (first step quickness and agility)
– Improve puck handling skills
– Maintain intensity to fully utilize his imposing frame

Shockingly Gaunce is also described as a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy. I saw his apparent draft rank was about 14 or so?

Off The Iron (Interesting Notes):

• Brendan Gaunce is the subject of a book being published by HockeyProspect dubbed “Draft Year: Brendan Gaunce” following the young prospects journey to the NHL. Written by John Matisz, a reporter covering London Knights local news, this publication will be a great read for any avid hockey fan.
  • Brendan Gaunce’s talents are not limited to the ice as he can be found on the field kicking footballs as his high school teams’ punter. His school pride continues as he also starred in Hairspray on the high school stage.
  • Brendan Gaunce made headlines at the 2012 NHL Draft Combine posting top finishes in several tests including leg power (1st), right (4th) and left hand grip (6th), body weight pushups (7th), pull strength (5th) and upper body power throw (2nd).
  • Hydration 2