The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on Jimbo's moves and this off-season

Rate this topic

Silky mitts

51 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

FWIW, Sportsnet gave Jimbo a D+, but gave Edmonton a B+, and Toronto got a C+...

Lol wut.

Like, even if you're somebody that hates that we took on the OEL contract, Edmonton signed Hyman to that hilariously awful deal that takes him to 37 years old.

And considering they lost arguably their best defenseman and replaced him with an ancient Keith....

Lol. Whatever.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Guys, do we know if there are some big tough guys who can chip in a few points left on the FA market?? basically, I'm interested to know if we can bring in another guy to challenge Z-Mac!! The latest signings are all smallish type guys, i.e. Petan, Di Giusseppe, Dries... I still think we need one big body as extra cover to complement Motte-Sutter-MacEwen...

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Lol wut.

Like, even if you're somebody that hates that we took on the OEL contract, Edmonton signed Hyman to that hilariously awful deal that takes him to 37 years old.

And considering they lost arguably their best defenseman and replaced him with an ancient Keith....

Lol. Whatever.

An ancient Keith should refer to any defenseman past their prime that are still valued in a trade by a nonsensical GM. 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, appleboy said:

Our defense is weak. Very weak , defensively. Offensively,  they should be good .

Goal tending depends on the continued improvement of Demko  of coarse . Should be solid.

I like Garland and hoping Podkolzin turns into the stud that we think he is .

Dickinson is OK. Time will tell.

We need Petey back to 100%.

If this team is going anywhere this year we will need to be a offensive power house.

They will be very exciting to watch or the same disorganized mess that spends way too much time in their own end. It looks like they have the horses to take it to their opponents. 

Could be a fun year.

Now if this Covid garbage would go away.

I wouldn't call our current defense group very weak defensively... Hamonic is solid.. Poolman is due to have a bounce back year... Juolevi just had his first season under his belt and should get better... Schenn is slow but he knows what he's doing and isn't shy to use his body... the only question mark is OEL really... but with a more positive environment, he can still turn things around at age 30!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Guys, do we know if there are some big tough guys who can chip in a few points left on the FA market?? basically, I'm interested to know if we can bring in another guy to challenge Z-Mac!! The latest signings are all smallish type guys, i.e. Petan, Di Giusseppe, Dries... I still think we need one big body as extra cover to complement Motte-Sutter-MacEwen...

Gadjovich, and we already have him.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, RakuRaku said:

The bolded are purely AHL players. Gadjovich is another up and comer who should provide the beef. Outside of that, it would have to be acquired through a trade, much like New York recently did with Ryan Reaves. 

I wouldn't call our current defense group very weak defensively... Hamonic is solid.. Poolman is due to have a bounce back year... Juolevi just had his first season under his belt and should get better... Schenn is slow but he knows what he's doing and isn't shy to use his body... the only question mark is OEL really... but with a more positive environment, he can still turn things around at age 30!

OEL will have a bounce back year, I'm feeling. Add in the intelligence and acumen of Brad Shaw, this team should have a stronger, less porous defense. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The bolded are purely AHL players. Gadjovich is another up and comer who should provide the beef. Outside of that, it would have to be acquired through a trade, much like New York recently did with Ryan Reaves. 

Ya... I agree... better to go the trade route to pick up someone legit... wouldn't wanna put too much pressure on Gadj just yet.. he's still raw!

You think JB will end up getting that Russian buddy as well for Podz?? Aside from Gusev and Anisimov... can't see anyone we can pick up on a cheap deal...

• Vintage 2

Well..... he's still unproven though.. I didn't see much in him in his debut....but hope you're right though!!

He dropped the mitts, made a rookie mistake, but otherwise positioned himself well in limited minutes.

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

An ancient Keith should refer to any defenseman past their prime that are still valued in a trade by a nonsensical GM. 

Jailhouse Jesus will bring them a cup, don't you know? thats a solid B+ right there Phil. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Ya... I agree... better to go the trade route to pick up someone legit... wouldn't wanna put too much pressure on Gadj just yet.. he's still raw!

You think JB will end up getting that Russian buddy as well for Podz?? Aside from Gusev and Anisimov... can't see anyone we can pick up on a cheap deal...

Not sure about the Russian buddy. Who is that? 

There's only one player who can handle the likes of Reaves, Wilson, Lucic and the like. His name is Erik Gudbranson. While his defensive acumen is less than stellar, he is a mean SOB who's manhandled Tom Wilson twice. He's yet to be picked up in free agency, and could probably be had for less than a million. That said, Schenn looks to be taking that #7 spot on the roster. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

Jimbo getting a lot of kudos from all around the hockey world - with the exception being the negative nancy’s in the Vancouver media of course - and I love to see it. Sure, some of his moves were “fixing” his own mistakes but at least he manned up and dealt with them.

I’ll be in Abby for all of Training Camp. Hope to see some of you there!

Clearing the cap of dead weight ,.  And the positions that weight was wasting.

Its almost like Jim through in his entire hand, and took 5 new cards…. And so right to do so when you have nothing helping you.

Im just amazed at how he did it,.  I think we owe Arizona some good smoke.

Pot Blaze It GIF by ADWEEK

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not sure about the Russian buddy. Who is that? 

There's only one player who can handle the likes of Reaves, Wilson, Lucic and the like. His name is Erik Gudbranson. While his defensive acumen is less than stellar, he is a mean SOB who's manhandled Tom Wilson twice. He's yet to be picked up in free agency, and could probably be had for less than a million. That said, Schenn looks to be taking that #7 spot on the roster. 

JB said he would try to get another Russian guy to keep Podz company! So.. I am really curious if he'd do that... 

I highly doubt the fanbase here wanna see Guddy ever again... He's a nice sweet guy but just couldn't do a decent job defensively for us... 

• Vintage 1

Just now, RakuRaku said:

JB said he would try to get another Russian guy to keep Podz company! So.. I am really curious if he'd do that... 

Podkolzin supposedly has a strong handle on English already. Shouldn't be a problem.

Just now, RakuRaku said:

I highly doubt the fanbase here wanna see Guddy ever again... He's a nice sweet guy but just couldn't do a decent job defensively for us... 

He wouldn't be brought in as a defenseman to play anywhere in the top 6. He'd be a #8 and an enforcer essentially. Would cost less than a million seeing as how he is still in search of a deal. That being said, Schenn is already here, so that spot is taken. Schenn can thrown down, just not very effectively.

• Cheers 1