The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Ryan Reaves to Rangers for 2022 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah I would have probably traded a 3rd round pick just to see Reaves put Matheson in the hospital...

I had forgotten about that. I still can’t believe that not a single Canuck did anything about that. :picard:

• Huggy Bear 1

49 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

here our the tough guys in our division now

Van: MacEwen, Schenn, 

Cal: Lucy, Ritchie, Coleman, Tkachuk

Edm: Nurse, Kassian, Foegle

Sea: Oleksiak. Twarynski, Soucy

Ana: Deslauriers, Manson

LA: Lemieux

SJ: Viel, Kane

Podz will be pretty tough for us too.  Would LOVE to see him take on Tkachunk!  Please please please!  

Unfortunately you forgot to add Zadorov for the fLames

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Huggy Bear 1

22 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

I had forgotten about that. I still can’t believe that not a single Canuck did anything about that. :picard:

None on the ice saw it and then Matheson bitched out in the rematch. 

Edited by canuck73_3

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

None on the ice saw it and then Matheson bitched out in the rematch. 

I recall them saying that, but I have a tough time believing that. Usually when someone is holding your star kid for longer than necessary at least the coaches are watching to try and lobby for a holding/interference penalty. 

But yes, you refreshed my old memory lol, I remember Matheson not answering the bell. I wish we had gone after Huburdeau at that point... not to hurt him but just rough him up a little to send a message to matheson. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bure_of_94 said:

I recall them saying that, but I have a tough time believing that. Usually when someone is holding your star kid for longer than necessary at least the coaches are watching to try and lobby for a holding/interference penalty. 

But yes, you refreshed my old memory lol, I remember Matheson not answering the bell. I wish we had gone after Huburdeau at that point... not to hurt him but just rough him up a little to send a message to matheson. 

The play was going the other way so the players had already turned, frustrating as it was. Matheson has proven himself to be a gutless clown numerous times since too. 

• Cheers 2

If I was a Rangers fan I would be embarassed by the direction the team is deciding to go and what the catalyst behind this change in direction was. 

You let one player change the future of your entire franchise and he isn't even in your organization. 

11 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes!!!

Later you big goon

11 hours ago, Coconuts said:

If all you can do as a player is hit, talk $&!#, and fight, you're not likely to stick in this league in a significant capacity. The enforcer has gone the way of the dodo for the most part, he's an anomaly. 

Having a deterrent is overstated imo, teams gotta rally together with or without that guy. I'd say the league and it's joke called player safety are a larger impact on guys getting hurt than enforcers somehow stopping guys from taking runs or making questionable hits. 

The fighters need something to keep them in a lineup like checking or playing good defensively if not Dodo they are.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, KirkSave said:

First Fluery and now Reaves. 2 fan fav's moved in matter of days. Now Vegas won't play with quite the same edge. Reaves made everyone braver when in their lineup.

Reeves is also turning 35. Not sure how much he has left. 

9 hours ago, Trebreh said:

Got to add Hamonic to our list.

• Huggy Bear 1

Somehow I feel like Vegas' run is coming to an end.

Fleury has proven that he can get you wins. They severely undervalued Fleury's contribution to the team's success. Now that he's gone, if Lehner gets in a slump, they could be in a trouble.

Vancouver Canucks the Pacific division champions of 2021-22? I hope so.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Rangers add Goodrow, Tinordi, Reaves in a matter of a few days.

Reaves does seem to keep Wilson in check.  Kind of an odd move for both teams tbh.

Not from the Rangers side after Dolan complained that they weren't tough enough.  It's the reason Gorton lost his job.  He didn't like the construction of the team that was too focused on talent - felt they had plenty of talent but that it wasn't the right mix to win a Cup and they needed guys to stick up for each other.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/06/james-dolan-chris-drury-the-right-guy-to-lead-the-rangers/

“I saw a weakness in the team that was not being addressed and I knew it needed to be,” Dolan told The Post during a telephone interview on Thursday in explaining why he dismissed president John Davidson and general manager Jeff Gorton. “I knew that we were missing a key component to us being a Stanley Cup contender.

“Honestly, we have enough talent now to compete for a Stanley Cup,” he said. “I’m sure we can always do better and add more, and I will tell you that both JD and Jeff did a good job of putting talent into this organization, and we also got lucky along the way too [with lottery victories the last two years].

“But other owners, other general managers have been telling me for a year that they can’t believe how stocked we are with talent, but talent alone doesn’t do it. We’re missing this piece and we need it. And when I looked at our organization, I felt that we need to change the whole organization and change the culture.

51 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

Reeves is also turning 35. Not sure how much he has left. 

Yup.  He really struggles to keep up.  He’s pretty much just an old fashioned goon now.  Rags will be playing short handed when he’s on the ice.  He’s likely going to be eating popcorn for most games.  

Reaves has been a huge part of the identity of the Knights along with Fleury.  The team eventually needed to move on from them (as they decline and/or retire) but it will be very interesting to see how they play next year.  They have played with a lot of swagger but I wonder how much of that was tied to having a guy like Reaves.

They're still a good team: very strong up front (on the wines 6 mostly), Pietrangelo and Theodore anchoring their D, and Lehner in goal.  I agree with others though that it feels like they have taken a step back.  Stone is moving towards the end of his prime (don't get me wrong, he should still be good for awhile but how long that will be is a bigger question now) and others like Marchessault and Pacioretty aren't getting any younger.  Patrick is a huge wild card especially as the replacement for Glass. They might have some help from young

prospects like Krebs.  If they really do end up making more moves to shed cap however, then this Vegas team might be less of a threat than in past years.  They seem like they're in a way worse cap position than Vancouver.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trebreh said:

Don't forget Myers, Poolman and Dries can fight a bit too... but I do hope JB will pick up a big tough body to upgrade our 4th line a bit.. 

• Huggy Bear 1