The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Zach Werenski

Honestly, overpaid, but at the same time, Columbus liquidated most of their high paid players and just got a bunch of draft pick.  Don’t see them

needing any cap room in the next 3-4 years with all those ELC.  

Term is actually pretty good despite high AAV.

This kind of contract at 24... Horvat's draft class was still taking in 5.5x6 or 6x6s contracts.. 

I guess he did score 20 goals a couple of years ago. If he performs at that level from 24 to 30 years old - his best years, this contract would be well worth it. But these kids are getting their huge pay day way too earlier.

Edited by Drakrami
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's like a $2 million overpayment.  No way he should get Seth Jones money or get paid more than Hamilton.

If I'm Victor Hedman I am holding out until Tampa gives me $11 million...

You do not know that he is better than Seth Jones?

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

It's deals like this that make it genuinely concerning how much Hughes and Petey are going to demand.  Werenski is being paid more than Makar.  I get that this is Werenski's deal after a bridge whereas Makar is just coming off his ELC, but Werenski is not better than Makar (IMHO) even if he has a longer resume.

Terrible AAV for CBJ, but can't help but think why CBJ and TBL can get their superstars extended more than 1 year before their current contracts are due to expire; whereas we are now worried about an offer sheet for Petey. We should have got him signed long before now!