The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael ferlund retires?

Rate this topic

aznmonk

33 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Very unfortunate. If he didnt get hurt he woulda been a perfect 3rd line guy. I really think we woulda traded pearson for a draft pick last season. Woulda left us a Ferland-Dicky-Podz 3rd line. 

Good for Ferland, and he should retire. His long term health comes first , not only for himself but for his family. Im sure hes made enough during his career to live a great life. That playoff series with him with the Flames against us, he made a major impact. Too bad we couldn't get that player, but he had a good career, nothing to be ashamed about whatsoever

• Like 1

I think he had a lingering concussion already when he signed from CAR . He was never healthy when he signed. Amazing he passed his physical and could be viewed as borderline fraud if he knew he wasn't healthy/ basically done when he signed. Regardless quality of life is most important. All the best Ferland you would have been a fan fav, I know I loved your game!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Well hated him in 2014. Squashed as like bugs and we had no pushback whatsoever. You can tell he loves hockey though, so this is sad news to hear he won't be playing again. Good luck to him in his other pursuits!

To be fair though almost all of his hits against Canucks were blatant charging/boarding. If the refs called the penalties like they're supposed to he'd have been in the box all the time, effectively neutralized, and thus we wouldn't have needed a response. And some of you are going to say well that's playoff hockey, deal with it, refs put the whistles away, etc. But to them I ask where does it say there is 1 rulebook for regular season and another for the playoffs? It doesn't. But I digress. I don't blame Micheal. Players will only do as much as the zebras let them get away with. I hope he can still enjoy a high quality of life even with all his concussion issues. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Very unfortunate. If he didnt get hurt he woulda been a perfect 3rd line guy. I really think we woulda traded pearson for a draft pick last season. Woulda left us a Ferland-Dicky-Podz 3rd line. 

The original plan with Ferland was to have him play with Petey and Boeser if I recall correctly.  

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Miller

That top 6 would have checked the boxes from a grit standpoint had Ferland been himself.  Oh well.  I’m happy for Ferland that he’s making the correct decision and my hope is that he can live a normal and healthy life with his friends and family from here on out.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I wish they would fix the LTIR system. When a guy like this has a legit career ending injury why does the team need to be penalized a second time?

We lost a valuable player to injury and then lose some cap flexibility on top of that. If it happens in season, fine LTIR until the end of the year but then just let them retire and disappear from the cap while insurance pays them out. 
Would be better from the clubs and would get rid of a lot of the cap circumvention possibilities. 

Teams can then do some tricks like making deal with player and putting him as injured etc. and paying him in secrecy while not being part of the cap.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, PositionOfPower said:

Teams can then do some tricks like making deal with player and putting him as injured etc. and paying him in secrecy while not being part of the cap.

The potential for that is there now.

I think that the league has recently shown that they take their rules very seriously.  

The Arizona penalty for breaking the draft rules was harsh and this is a franchise they have coddled like no other.

They aren't going to do what they did for Lou Lamoriello, letting him off the hook for cap circumvention, again.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, buddhahoodlum said:

To be fair though almost all of his hits against Canucks were blatant charging/boarding. If the refs called the penalties like they're supposed to he'd have been in the box all the time, effectively neutralized, and thus we wouldn't have needed a response. And some of you are going to say well that's playoff hockey, deal with it, refs put the whistles away, etc. But to them I ask where does it say there is 1 rulebook for regular season and another for the playoffs? It doesn't. But I digress. I don't blame Micheal. Players will only do as much as the zebras let them get away with. I hope he can still enjoy a high quality of life even with all his concussion issues. 

Yeah, this points to the absolutely blatant change in rules during the playoffs compared to the regular season.  Why can't the NHL just go with one set of rules like every other sport does.  They never admit it but anyone who has watched any hockey knows that the rules change during the playoffs (the NHL just prefers to lie about it than to address it).  Obviously they are trying to sell violence, and make a lot of money doing that, but as far as fans of the game go, the random application of rules drives me nuts.  I like a hard hitting game like the next guy but we need more consistent application of rules in order to make it into a game and not just wrestling on ice (which is where the NHL seems to be heading).  GCG!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

The potential for that is there now.

I think that the league has recently shown that they take their rules very seriously.  

The Arizona penalty for breaking the draft rules was harsh and this is a franchise they have coddled like no other.

They aren't going to do what they did for Lou Lamoriello, letting him off the hook for cap circumvention, again.

The recapture penalty for Luongo was also a case of changing the rules for what was supposed to be legal within the frameworks of stuff.

The NHL actually approved the contracts, so they should've been honoured/grandfathered during the NHL change. NOPE.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2