The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael ferlund retires?

Rate this topic

aznmonk

If Ferland straight up retires or if there is concern about cap circumvention if he remains on LTIR despite his comments, then the Canucks probably still need to clear cap space.

I think retirement makes sense for Ferland, unfortunately.  He had a good run in his career but hope he can enjoy the fruits of his labors with good health.

On 7/30/2021 at 8:36 AM, Dazzle said:

The recapture penalty for Luongo was also a case of changing the rules for what was supposed to be legal within the frameworks of stuff.

The NHL actually approved the contracts, so they should've been honoured/grandfathered during the NHL change. NOPE.

The issue with rules & rule makers - human nature.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

If he retires, the Canucks will lose the use of the LTIR option; good chance, he stays on it for the duration of the contract.

I don't see a point for either side to want it to happen.

Ferland gets his money - and a chance to heal with family. Canucks can find a replacement player if need be.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Sorry man, same deal here.  Years of high level competitive martial arts and working as a police officer and many concussions later I had to spend months in vestibular rehab to learn to walk again without falling over.

Can’t go to noisy or bright places like malls, can’t easily drive at night or in the rain or snow… vertigo regularly.  Headaches all the time.

It is good that professional athletes raise awareness about this stuff because for every one of them there are hundreds of amateur athletes dealing with the same stuff.  Most neurologists didn’t believe in long term concussion symptoms as little as about a decade ago until Crosby was publicly dealing with them.

Sorry to hear about your ongoing health issues, Provost. Head injuries can be absolutely brutal. A lot of people don’t realize the ongoing symptoms that can persist long after the concussion(s) that can last a lifetime. I hope that your quality of life improves. I know mine has a bit more as the years pass. I just hope it doesn’t come back in the form of Alzheimer’s and Dementia later in life. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Sorry man, same deal here.  Years of high level competitive martial arts and working as a police officer and many concussions later I had to spend months in vestibular rehab to learn to walk again without falling over.

Can’t go to noisy or bright places like malls, can’t easily drive at night or in the rain or snow… vertigo regularly.  Headaches all the time.

It is good that professional athletes raise awareness about this stuff because for every one of them there are hundreds of amateur athletes dealing with the same stuff.  Most neurologists didn’t believe in long term concussion symptoms as little as about a decade ago until Crosby was publicly dealing with them.

Same goes for you Provost. Sorry too hear that. Sounds really bad.

Hope you'll get better in time... 

• Like 3

On 7/30/2021 at 10:32 AM, gurn said:

Richards in LA.

and iirc a couple of others.

Canucks got hosed the most, so far, but not the only team.

Despite the league changing the rule again, to spread the pain of Weber's re capture, if he retires, Nashville will be on the hook for some payback

These are the players left with contracts subject to recapture penalties.

A9DF3361-E840-4073-AA79-E18D1472DDD0.jpeg

• Thanks 2

On 7/29/2021 at 11:59 PM, Outsiders said:

I think he had a lingering concussion already when he signed from CAR . He was never healthy when he signed. Amazing he passed his physical and could be viewed as borderline fraud if he knew he wasn't healthy/ basically done when he signed. Regardless quality of life is most important. All the best Ferland you would have been a fan fav, I know I loved your game!

Here's the thing though....he STILL engaged physically while here so, even if ("he knew"), it didn't deter him any.  He tried.  He likely thought he could and wanted to battle through it, but it just got the better of him.

I feel like, as a competitive athlete, part of it is likely accepting the inevitable in a process over time.  Not defrauding anyone...just in denial about the severity of the situation.  Or, even more so, it just wasn't clear until it was.  It's a sad situation that he had to pack it in because it seems like he really loved the game a lot.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i mean there's reason why no one was willing to give ferland a contract over 1 year when he hit UFA..

I'd like a bit of back up, like a link or what have you, to back up what you said, please.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'd like a bit of back up, like a link or what have you, to back up what you said, please.

it was reported back then during the free agent frenzy don't remember which tsn or sportsnet ferland had multiple offers but none were for more than a year. i mean it make sense.. given his concussion history with the canes that people are concern he's 1 hit away from being concussed again.. which is exactly what happened.. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, gurn said:

Darren Dreger: 

There are surely plenty of teams who would consider making such a move. There are plenty more who’d like to have a crack at him in free agency.

Dreger suggested half the league might have an interest come summertime.

Elliotte Friedman:

Back in January, Friedman reported that the Canucks were among the teams interested in Ferland. General manager Jim Benning wisely stayed away from acquiring a rental — instead waiting patiently and getting his man on a good contract.

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2021 at 8:47 AM, EternalCanuckFan said:

If Ferland straight up retires or if there is concern about cap circumvention if he remains on LTIR despite his comments, then the Canucks probably still need to clear cap space.

I think retirement makes sense for Ferland, unfortunately.  He had a good run in his career but hope he can enjoy the fruits of his labors with good health.

I was wondering this. I mean, how is he able to stay on LTIR when he's publicly said he's "retiring" and will never play again? 

On 8/1/2021 at 8:47 AM, EternalCanuckFan said:

Guys in Ferlands situation, do NOT retire while they have an active contract, it means that they stop earning. He can ride out his contract on LTIR, it doesn't hurt us, in fact, we could probably trade it to Tampa or Toronto so they can gain cap flexibility.

18 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I was wondering this. I mean, how is he able to stay on LTIR when he's publicly said he's "retiring" and will never play again? 

This question made me think of Chris Pronger, although he was on a +35 year old contact. If he announced his retirement Philly would have been liable for his cap hit for the remainder of his contract. Even though Paul Holmgren announced that Pronger would never play again he was allowed to stay on LTIR.