The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we look to add a veteran C for our bottom 6 depth?

4 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Love the idea of Ritchie, but we don't have the cap space for $2.8m now. Who are we letting go? Dickinson?

Yeah I know but should be close? 14 million + 3.5 Ferland 17.5

Petey 7.5 X 3 YRS ?

Quinn -- 6.8 X 2 YRS

Dickinson -- avg 2.3 X 3 yrs....

Maybe Motte ????? Like Motte but we really need a Ritchie 6'3, 230 -- I like all the moves so far..

Excited for Sept..

1. Vegas

2. Van 

3.Ed

4.LA

5. Cal

So 2nd to 5th place close..ss

• Cheers 1

Just now, wildcam said:

Petey 7.5 X 3 YRS ?

Quinn -- 6.8 X 2 YRS

Maybe Motte ????? Like Motte but we really need a Ritchie 6'3, 230 -- I like all the moves so far..

Excited for Sept..

1. Vegas

2. Van 

3.Ed

4.LA

5. Cal

Motte for 3rd rounder--- He will want big money next summer....

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

Petey 7.5 X 3 YRS ?

Quinn -- 6.8 X 2 YRS

Excited for Sept..

1. Vegas

2. Van 

3.Ed

4.LA

5. Cal

If we can get Ritchie for $2.85m or less then I am down.

Plus I think I found a way to make it work cap-wise without trading Motte, but we can’t sign Ritchie until the season opens (like we did with Hamonic last season). And it relies on getting Petey signed for $7.5m, Hughes for $6m, Dickinson $2.4m, Juolevi for $950k. Which is all reasonably realistic.

Here’s how:

Season opening roster (this team doesn’t play, it’s just our roster to meet cap requirements).

The below 22-man roster comes to $80.831m of cap hit, which is $668k below the cap limit. When you add in our $649k overages, it puts us at $81.48m:

Miller Pettersson (7.5) Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Motte Dickinson (2.4) Sutter

Highmore Dowling MacEwen

Ferland

OEL Myers

Hughes (6.0) Hamonic

Juolevi (950k) Poolman

Bowey Schenn

Demko Halak

As soon as the seaosn opens we move Ferland to LTIR which raises our cap limit to $85.98m and hence gives us $3.48m cap relief.

Bring up Podkolzin and Hoglander, Since they are LTIR replacements their full cap hit including bonuses will be added to the cap hit, so Podz is $1.775m and Hogs is $1.125m. This is good because any bonuses they earn this season will not transfer to next season. Cap space drops to $0.58m.

Then waive Bowey, Dowling, MacEwen which extends our cap space to $2.88m, and gives us the room to sign Ritchie.

Roster for 2021-22 becomes:

Hoglander (1.125) Horvat Garland

Ritchie (2.85) Dickinson (2.4) Podkolzin

Pearson Sutter Motte

(Highmore)

OEL Myers

Hughes (6.0) Hamonic

Juolevi (950k) Poolman

(Schenn)

Demko (Halak)

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Plus I think I found a way to make it work cap-wise without trading Motte, but we can’t sign Ritchie until the season opens (like we did with Hamonic last season). And it relies on getting Petey signed for $7.5m, Hughes for $6m, Dickinson $2.4m, Juolevi for $950k. Which is all reasonably realistic.

Here’s how:

Season opening roster (this team doesn’t play, it’s just our roster to meet cap requirements).

The below 22-man roster comes to $80.831m of cap hit, which is $668k below the cap limit. When you add in our $649k overages, it puts us at $81.48m:

Pearson Horvat Garland

Highmore Dowling MacEwen

Ferland

OEL Myers

Hughes (6.0) Hamonic

Juolevi (950k) Poolman

Bowey Schenn

Demko Halak

As soon as the seaosn opens we move Ferland to LTIR which raises our cap limit to $85.98m and hence gives us $3.48m cap relief.

Bring up Podkolzin and Hoglander, Since they are LTIR replacements their full cap hit including bonuses will be added to the cap hit, so Podz is $1.775m and Hogs is $1.125m. This is good because any bonuses they earn this season will not transfer to next season. Cap space drops to $0.58m.

Then waive Bowey, Dowling, MacEwen which extends our cap space to $2.88m, and gives us the room to sign Ritchie.

Pearson Sutter Motte

(Highmore)

OEL Myers

Hughes (6.0) Hamonic

Juolevi (950k) Poolman

(Schenn)

Demko (Halak)

I agree with roster except Rathbone and his great skating and  skill level  will pass Juolevi and be top #4 D man before Xmas..

Rathbone will surprise management at camp...Podkolzin will also have fans excited..

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, wildcam said:

I agree with roster except Rathbone and his great skating and  skill level  will pass Juolevi and be top #4 D man before Xmas..

Rathbone will surprise management at camp...Podkolzin will also have fans excited..

yes I agree re: Rathbone. Not sure if he will start the season in AHL or NHL (since he is waiver exempt), but he will be a top 4 Dman for us soon

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I like what the once-good vets bring. Recently we've seen low deals for the Spezza's and the Perry's in the league, and they seem to bring real value to their teams - especially come playoff time. I'd be open to something like that, but our depth will cover short injuries. Long term can be fixed via trade later if need be.

I understand that Miller is a center, but if we rely on him to move to the 3rd that then means Hogs probably has to move up, etc. Not sure that's really ideal.

Though a line of Hogs Miller Podz looks pretty sexy.

On 7/30/2021 at 7:31 PM, BigTramFan said:

Here’s how:

Pearson Horvat Garland

Highmore Dowling MacEwen

Ferland

OEL Myers

Hughes (6.0) Hamonic

Juolevi (950k) Poolman

Bowey Schenn

Demko Halak

Pearson Sutter Motte

(Highmore)

OEL Myers

Hughes (6.0) Hamonic

Juolevi (950k) Poolman

(Schenn)

Demko (Halak)

Will need MacEwen and his toughness in this line up...4th line

If they do sign someone short term, veteran or whatever, I hope it would be timed for when they think Zlodoyev will be ready. Why isn't anyone talking about Zlodoyev? The guy lives and breathes hockey. Too early to tell but he reminds me of a budding Trottier type -- smart, focused, well-rounded and tough for his size. 

Edited by frank einstein

On 7/30/2021 at 4:48 AM, BigTramFan said:

I am a little concerned with our bottom 6 center depth. If Dickinson or Sutter are injured (a matter of when for Sutter...) it would be great to have a veteran center on a 1 year $1m type contract to have on our 4th line or as 13th forward.

We have Motte, MacEwen, Dowling, Petan as options, but Motte/MacEwen aren't very strong on faceoffs, and Dowling/Petan are very small build for 4C in the NHL.

Someone like E Staal, Zajac, Bozak, Richardson, who are all still available as UFAs. Could we sign one for 1m/1 year?

E.g. Bottom 6 + 13th forward could be:

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin

Motte Staal Sutter

(Highmore) 

OR

Motte Sutter Highmore

(Richardson)

I was thinking Richardson a few weeks ago when looking at UFA’s. I’m not sure how much gas he has left in the tank, but he’s a heck of a leader, good in the circle and would come cheap!

He is not a veteran C by any means but I would try to acquire Ross Colton from the TB Lightning. 24 yr old C who is an RFA, had 12pts in 30 NHL regular season games and 6pts in 23 playoff games.

TB is cap strapped, Colton won't require much of a cap hit but they did trade Stephens to Yzerman for a 6th so wonder if we could pry Ross Colton from TB, or the other obvious choice would be RHD Cal Foote!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 1:48 AM, BigTramFan said:

I am a little concerned with our bottom 6 center depth. If Dickinson or Sutter are injured (a matter of when for Sutter...) it would be great to have a veteran center on a 1 year $1m type contract to have on our 4th line or as 13th forward.

We have Motte, MacEwen, Dowling, Petan as options, but Motte/MacEwen aren't very strong on faceoffs, and Dowling/Petan are very small build for 4C in the NHL.

Someone like E Staal, Zajac, Bozak, Richardson, who are all still available as UFAs. Could we sign one for 1m/1 year?

E.g. Bottom 6 + 13th forward could be:

Motte Staal Sutter

(Highmore) 

OR

Motte Sutter Highmore

(Richardson)

If Dickinson and Sutter were both injured, I think Green would shift Miller to center.

4 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

If Dickinson and Sutter were both injured, I think Green would shift Miller to center.

I have no issue with using Miller at C if Horvat or Pettersson are injured, but it is such a waste to deplete our top 6 just to cover for a bottom 6 center injury, in my opinion. Would rather we carry some veteran depth at bottom 6 C. We aren't going to be banking any cap space anyway if we are using Ferland's LTIR relief, so may as well spend up to the limit and have options and depth ready to roll.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

I have no issue with using Miller at C if Horvat or Pettersson are injured, but it is such a waste to deplete our top 6 just to cover for a bottom 6 center injury, in my opinion. Would rather we carry some veteran depth at bottom 6 C. We aren't going to be banking any cap space anyway if we are using Ferland's LTIR relief, so may as well spend up to the limit and have options and depth ready to roll.

Just thinking outloud.  If Sutter + Dicks were hurt, here is what our lines might look like:

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Motte-Pettersson-Podkolzin

(I configured the lines this way since that Miller line played together post Petey injury last season while Pearson/Horvat have a long history with one another).

Those lines aren’t ideal but aren’t terrible either.

Edited by Patel Bure

12 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Just thinking outloud.  If Sutter + Dicks were hurt, here is what our lines might look like:

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Motte-Pettersson-Podkolzin

(I configured the lines this way since that Miller line played together post Petey injury last season while Pearson/Horvat have a long history with one another).

Those lines aren’t ideal but aren’t terrible either.

It's not that the lines are terrible, its that we are rejigging the entire forward lineup to cover for bottom 6 injuries that we know will happen. I'd rather have the depth available (since we can afford it) so that we can keep our top 6 intact in case of a Dickinson and/or Sutter injury

• Cheers 1

On 7/30/2021 at 2:34 AM, BigTramFan said:

My thinking is that those veteran C's that are currently available will not be available very soon. Some team will snap them up at a low cost. It will be too late if someone gets seriously injured during the season. We would have to trade for a C, costing an asset, instead of signing one while they are freely available.

As mentioned, most of the new FA signings like Dowling and Petan are to fill out our AHL roster, not our NHL roster. And they are not bottom 6 guys.

Highmore (took 5 faceoffs last season) and Motte (FO% of 36%) are wingers. Jasek is playing in Finland this season.

The roster is not that crowded.
Rathbone, Gadjovich, Lockwood need a little more practice respectively on timing, skating, and IQ, in the AHL. They need to play; not be sitting half the time as depth. We need to take advantage of all three having one year left on ELCs and being able to call them up and down waiver-free. They can develop for one more year in the AHL getting tough situation minutes. 
As well.. B. Hunt, P. Di Giuseppe, Ju. Bailey, and J. Dowling should all be starting in the AHL for now. Hunts veteran presence is needed down there (even though he has the smarts and puck skills to play up here),

Di Giuseppes foot speed is whats held him back from being a permanent top nine NHL guy, Ju. Bailey is still very raw and coming off a major shoulder injury, and Dowling needs more two-way tinkering. As well Motte is apparently not over a concussion and ankle injury suffered back in April.. considering his injuries the last two years I’d put him on IR for now and let him fully heal and power up. leaves a line-up (assembled my way) as

Miller -Pettersson- Podkolzin

Pearson -Horvat- Boeser

Garland -Dickinson- Hoglander

Highmore -Sutter- MacEwen

IR: Motte

LTIR (Retired): Ferland

Ekman-Larsson - Hamonic

Hughes - Poolman

Juolevi - Myers

- Schenn

Demko 
Halak

Finding a depth forward mid-season like you mentioned (and/or a D-man) should be done regardless at the deadline for the playoffs. As it stands we do in fact need a depth ‘forward’. If Sutter and/or Dickinson go down in the bottom nine.. Miller, Highmore, MacEwen all can be moved to the middle so any position ,young-ish experiment forward and/or veteran depth forward via UFA targets would be great and should be one or two of..

Derick Brassard, Valtteri Filppula,

Ryan Donato, Mark Jankowski,

Colton Sceviour, Carter Rowney,

Tomas Jurco, Riley Sheahan, Tobias Rieder, Michael Frolik. (Even Jayce Hawryluk getting another chance would be smart).
P.S. Lukas Jasek signed with the Lahti Pelicans of the Liiga back on June 12th and will be playing overseas there for this season. We currently hold his RFA rights.

1 hour ago, ZH96 said:

The roster is not that crowded.
Rathbone, Gadjovich, Lockwood need a little more practice respectively on timing, skating, and IQ, in the AHL. They need to play; not be sitting half the time as depth. We need to take advantage of all three having one year left on ELCs and being able to call them up and down waiver-free. They can develop for one more year in the AHL getting tough situation minutes. 
As well.. B. Hunt, P. Di Giuseppe, Ju. Bailey, and J. Dowling should all be starting in the AHL for now. Hunts veteran presence is needed down there (even though he has the smarts and puck skills to play up here),

Di Giuseppes foot speed is whats held him back from being a permanent top nine NHL guy, Ju. Bailey is still very raw and coming off a major shoulder injury, and Dowling needs more two-way tinkering. As well Motte is apparently not over a concussion and ankle injury suffered back in April.. considering his injuries the last two years I’d put him on IR for now and let him fully heal and power up. leaves a line-up (assembled my way) as

Miller -Pettersson- Podkolzin

Pearson -Horvat- Boeser

Garland -Dickinson- Hoglander

Highmore -Sutter- MacEwen

IR: Motte

LTIR (Retired): Ferland

Ekman-Larsson - Hamonic

Hughes - Poolman

Juolevi - Myers

- Schenn

Demko 
Halak

Finding a depth forward mid-season like you mentioned (and/or a D-man) should be done regardless at the deadline for the playoffs. As it stands we do in fact need a depth ‘forward’. If Sutter and/or Dickinson go down in the bottom nine.. Miller, Highmore, MacEwen all can be moved to the middle so any position ,young-ish experiment forward and/or veteran depth forward via UFA targets would be great and should be one or two of..

Derick Brassard, Valtteri Filppula,

Ryan Donato, Mark Jankowski,

Colton Sceviour, Carter Rowney,

Tomas Jurco, Riley Sheahan, Tobias Rieder, Michael Frolik. (Even Jayce Hawryluk getting another chance would be smart).
P.S. Lukas Jasek signed with the Lahti Pelicans of the Liiga back on June 12th and will be playing overseas there for this season. We currently hold his RFA rights.

Huh? So you are in favour of signing a veteran depth C now? Or...not?

2 hours ago, ZH96 said:

I meant to tag the other guy LOL. Yes. I am. Let’s do it. Who do you like from my list of UFA forwards?

I like these guys in this order:

Zajac (not on your list)

Brassard

Sheahan

Donato

I wouldn't want to bother with the other guys, as we have better options from within.

Zajac is my first choice as he could play 3C or 4C very well and is a great 2-way player. Sort like a healthier Sutter with better offense. I wouldn't spend more than $1m for 1 year given his age, but would be a no brainer at that price imo.

6 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I like these guys in this order:

Zajac (not on your list)

Brassard

Sheahan

Donato

I wouldn't want to bother with the other guys, as we have better options from within.

Zajac is my first choice as he could play 3C or 4C very well and is a great 2-way player. Sort like a healthier Sutter with better offense. I wouldn't spend more than $1m for 1 year given his age, but would be a no brainer at that price imo.

Zajac is re-signing with the Islanders. His deal as well as their other signings are basically done behind the scenes verbally and will be announced when they move some more money out. I’d say Filppula and Jankowski are better than what we have within. Filppula has experience all over that isn’t easy to find. Three Cup Finals with DET and TBL including a Stanley Cup in 2008 with DET, two Bronze medals with Finland in Olympic tournaments  and World Championships, 1056 games, and 166 playoff games. Incredibly smart player with good edge-work and fluid skating that can slow the game down to his pace.
Very mature and silent leader that had

15 points in 38 games and only was a -1 last season on a horrible re-building DET team. The same way we want a Russian for Podkolzin; having a Finnish vet for Juolevi would be great and make him feel even more comfortable. As for Jankowksi a 6’4, 212 Lb forward that scored 32 points in 79 games fairly recently in 2018-2019, I don’t think there’s any depth forward or prospect (at this point yet) that can provide what Jankowski can. He’s only 26, has a great frame and reach, good hands for a big guy, and working with Green could round him out and have a huge reward payoff. He was stuck in the mess of Calgary and mishandled and then played on a very deep team in Pittsburgh last year 

(Still had 11 points in 45 games and a +4).