The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] Time to trade Oli Jouveli?

7 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Considering OJs uneven development time and his reported tough COVID illness last season I'd be inclined to see what kind of off season work be can put in.  Now that he has has a small taste and knows what it takes, I'm hoping his development starts taking some solid strides.  Hes a smart player and has great puck skills-just needs to improve his athleticism.  

Having Schenn in the room as a mentor will be a huge help as well as he was drafted high and never lived up to the billing.

• Cheers 4

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Having Schenn in the room as a mentor will be a huge help as well as he was drafted high and never lived up to the billing.

What chance did Schenn have being drafted by Toronto? Funny thing, I heard through the grapevine that TO also approached Schenn during FA but he turned them down. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Gadj takes a next step and does what it takes to be an NHL regular, I can't say that I would be opposed to Motte being traded. 

Key word being “IF”.

Right now Motte is a known commodity. 

If that changes going forward we could revisit it then, but as of right now I would be opposed to trading Motte. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Key word being “IF”.

Right now Motte is a known commodity. 

If that changes going forward we could revisit it then, but as of right now I would be opposed to trading Motte. 

Let's call it a draw. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tyler Motte could be an option for a trade.  He only has a year left on his contract and will get a decent raise as a UFA.  We have Highmore and Di Giuseppe who can play the 4th line and also Gadjovich could be a big body on that line as well.

Motte should be able to get us a decent pick back for 2022 and we free up over $1 million to sign the boys...

I think we are a much better team when Motte is in the lineup.  Green loves him. I wouldn't trade him.  We have enough with Ferland to sign the guys we need to sign.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I would trade any of those guys before trading Tyler Motte. He’s got a motor that never stops and those are the players that help win you games, especially in the playoffs. 

I agree with you. However if what JP Barry is saying is correct and Benning is looking at another trade to free up cap space then trading Motte makes the most sense as his trade value is higher and his salary is also much higher than the other two.  

In an ideal world I would want Motte to be a staple on our 4th line and as a guy who can move up the lineup if needed. Hopefully we can keep him around. But if Benning needs more cap flexibility to sign Petey and Quinn then that is the priority for him and Motte could be a casualty of that. We will see. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree with you. However if what JP Barry is saying is correct and Benning is looking at another trade to free up cap space then trading Motte makes the most sense as his trade value is higher and his salary is also much higher than the other two.  

In an ideal world I would want Motte to be a staple on our 4th line and as a guy who can move up the lineup if needed. Hopefully we can keep him around. But if Benning needs more cap flexibility to sign Petey and Quinn then that is the priority for him and Motte could be a casualty of that. We will see. 

Seriously? No more posts for you until you sign your contract! Give Barry my address if that helps. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think we are a much better team when Motte is in the lineup.  Green loves him. I wouldn't trade him.  We have enough with Ferland to sign the guys we need to sign.

True. But using LTIR money isn’t ideal as it limits what you can do to the roster in the regular season, specifically callups from Abbotsford.

Ideally you don’t want to use that LTIR space if possible. I don’t see how Benning can sign all 4 RFA’a without going into LTIR money. So he will need to make a decision on that. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Go &^@# yourself u big baby

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

You just confirmed my suspicions, you really are an idiot. Good luck in Life. 

Yeah go eat a pile of dog $&!# bro

Enough guys. Use the ignore function if you can’t communicate respectfully. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

Sorry but rathbone is way better than jouveli. OEL and quinn are here long term. Getting a asset for jouveli makes sense.

We don’t know that yet.  Maybe training camp will tell a different story?  Even if OJ were to get sent down, maybe he lights it up in Abottsford while looking very impressive during call up stints here, which ultimately drives up his overall trade value.

Why trade Juolevi when his value isn’t all that high right now anyways?  Why take away depth from Abbotsford or even to the NHL Canucks just incase there are injuries?  Doesn’t make sense to me.  OJ also has a two way style while Rathbone is an offensive defenseman like Hughes.  The Canucks biggest need right now is a top pairing match ups guy and so we’d have a massive advantage if OJ became that guy.

Wait and see on Juolevi.  Trading him right now would be incredibly short sighted imo.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, alucard said:

Oli is next Edler.

NO TRADE.

Hopefully, OJ can still be that guy as originally projected.  People often forget that OJ isn’t a true D+5 due to him having suffered two major injuries.  His Covid illness last year was also more severe than most others on the team.  OJ has had a rough path so far and so I’m interested to see how he develops with an entire healthy season under him.  Given all of his obstacles so far, I’d say that he’s consistently improved every year even if his gains have been moderate.

But make no mistake about it.  IF OJ can become a young version of Alex Edler, the Canucks will join the elite ranks of the NHL.  A top pairing shut down guy is the only real piece this team is missing right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Still, he's quietly put up just under 800 games at the NHL level.  Obviously not at the level of a 1st pairing D but still a good cheap veteran D insurance policy.

• Cheers 2